Known for being woman friendly since the Vedic times, Ashoka is among the most-widely used herbs in Ayurveda. Botanically, it is known as Saraca asoca, and is considered sacred in India and Sri Lanka. The dried bark, stem and flowers of this tree are used in preparing medicines for various health disorders. The bark of this wonder tree consists of several minerals, like calcium compounds, silica, sodium, magnesium and iron.
Ashoka herb has been used in traditional Indian medicine for a very long time. It provides several health benefits and cures for many illnesses. Various supplements from different brands are available in the market in the form of Ashoka powder, tablets, capsules, etc., which provide the benefits of Ashoka in a consumable form. Read on to know about the therapeutic uses of Ashoka tree.
- The most popular benefit of Ashoka herb is providing relief from various female-related health problems, like menstrual disorders. It benefits the uterine muscles and endometrium, and helps in reducing abdominal pain and uterine spasms. The herb also serves as a tonic to maintain the regularity of menstrual cycle and avoid excess bleeding. It ensures proper functioning of the uterus and reduces the chances of miscarriage. Ashoka possesses antifungal properties to protect the uterus from getting infected. Its consumption alleviates the weakness and fatigue before and during menstruation, and relieves the symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome. Rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, Ashoka herb is also useful in reducing the problem of vaginal discharge, which is an embarrassing problem among women and is tough to get rid of, despite there being numerous products available for that.
- Ashoka supplements nourish the cardiovascular system as well, relieving various heart problems, like arrhythmia and cardiac weakness. These supplements also reduce everyday fatigue problem in women.
- Ashoka extracts possess analgesic properties that reduce pain by soothing nerves. Ashoka herb also helps in managing the urine flow and thus it is useful in case of painful urination. This helps in detoxification of the body.
- Ashoka supplements help in improving the skin complexion since they purify the blood and remove toxins from the body. These supplements clear impurities from the skin and prevent skin allergies. They also soothe burning sensations on the skin.
- This Ayurvedic herb is useful in reducing the effects of piles and diabetes. It reduces the bleeding caused in piles. The bark of the tree is used in cases of piles, whereas the flowers of the tree are used in supplements that aim at reducing the health effects of diabetes.
Having a wide range of health benefits, the Ashoka herb is considered free from side effects, and natural and safe to use. This effective Ayurvedic herb is a boon, especially for women as it provides gynaecological benefits among various others. However, it is always advised that pregnant and lactating women must consult a doctor before consumption of any supplement.