GuggulShowing 1 - 18 of 18 results
In Sanskrit, guggul is defined as a 'Gunjo Vyadheragudati Rakshati', which means "one that protects against diseases". The word stands not only for this herb but for all the preparations that contain it as the main ingredient. Guggul has been found as a key component in ancient Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine. It is a flowering plant that grows in dry climate without any help. This plant is usually found in Northern India and has a bitter, astringent taste. The true value of guggul lies in its gummy resin found in the bark of the tree. This gummy resin of guggul has a fragrance, which makes it useful in incenses and perfumes. Due to its amazing healing powers, guggul can be used in almost every kind of disease an illness.
What is Guggul?
Guggul, botanically known as Commiphora Mukul and Balsamodendrom Mukul, is a small shrub or tree that bears thorns on its branches. Flowers of guggul herb are red in colour and it contains fruits that are elliptical in shape and soft in nature. Guggul extract is a yellowish resin produced from the stem of the guggul plant, Commiphora mukul. This plant is small, thorny and is usually devoid of foliage. Guggul resin contains steroids, diterpenoids, alipathic esters, and carbohydrates. These ingredients work together to provide the benefits of guggul.
Guggul has been used traditionally to deal with a wide range of health issues. It is widely used for obesity and cholesterol. Guggul extract is often blended with other natural substances to heal health problems, such as arthritis, hemorrhoids and urinary tract infections. Guggul also works as a remedy for acne and acts as a weight-loss stimulant. Available in the form of powder, capsules and tablets, Guggul supplements helps you achieve its benefits in various consumable forms.
Health benefits of guggul
- Cholesterol control : The active portion of guggul is the gum resin, which contains guggulsterone, a steroid compound. Researches have suggested that this compound is beneficial in maintaining the overall cholesterol level. It works effectively in lowering blood cholesterol level and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol level. Guggulsterone inhibits the synthesis of cholesterol in liver and stimulate the liver to remove LDL(bad cholesterol) from the bloodstream. This helps in maintaining healthy cholesterol level, thus reducing the risk of various diseases.
- Regulates three doshas of body : Guggul is considered a tridoshic rasayan, as it balances all three doshas in the body. The three doshas are - kapha or the anabolic humour, watery humour; pitta or the catabolic, fiery humour; and vata, the air or nervous system humour. When all three doshas of the body are balanced then what you achieve is a healthy life. But when one or more are in excess or deficient, imbalance of the three doshas can lead to various diseases. Guggul stimulates pitta dosh, thus enhancing warmth, digestion, circulatory and reproductive processes. Further, it also regulates vata (nerve force) and kapha (fluidic aspects).
- Improves digestion: Guggul extract helps eliminate toxic substances from the body that are accumulated due to sluggish digestion. Intake of guggul improves digestion, while boosting the metabolism of the body as well.
- Aids in weight loss: Possessing digestion-enhancing properties, guggul is beneficial in weight loss and its conditions like obesity. Current researches suggest that guggul is effective in reducing elevated blood lipid level. So, it helps you get slim by maintaining healthy digestion.
- Stimulates thyroid functions : Guggul supplements have shown the ability to regulate thyroid functions and improve hypothyroidism. Recent studies have shown that guggulsterones, found in guggul help in increasing the output of thyroid gland and stimulate the conversion of T4 thyroid hormone into more active T3 form. It further helps in improving metabolism and reducing fat from body.
- Relieves pain and inflammation: Guggul is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it effective in reducing inflammation and pain caused due to it. Consuming guggul keeps your bones, joints, muscles and related connective tissues healthy while reducing the rheumatic and arthritic pain.
- Keeps the skin healthy: Guggul herb not only treats dermatitis, but also promotes lipid synthesis in the skin. It increases the production of triglycerides in skin cell. This reduces the appearance of wrinkles and gives your skin a soft, smooth and supple appearance. Various other skin problems like acne, break outs, eczema and irritation is relieved by guggul.
Providing all the above benefits, this ayurvedic herb also relieves joint pains, stiffness of the joints and swelling. From weight loss to skin problems, this herb is a remedy to all your problems. So, add guggul to your daily diet and stay healthy throughout.