Considered as the “queen of herbs,” Tulsi or Holy Basil is idolised as one of the most sacred herbs in India. Due to its healing properties and sacred implications, it can be found in almost every Indian home. The benefits of Tulsi lie in all the parts of this herb, especially its leaves. Research has found Tulsi to be an adaptogen, having benefits in supporting the immune system and relieving stress.
The medicinal uses of Tulsi make it a very powerful healing herb in Ayurveda and naturopathy. Tulsi herb can be consumed in several forms in order to avail its benefits. Different brands manufacture Tulsi supplements in the forms of Tulsi powder, juice, capsules, etc. Read on to know about the health benefits of Tulsi in detail.
- Common cold and fever: Tulsi leaves have the power to heal many kinds of fevers since this herb possesses antibacterial, anti-fungal and antibiotic properties. The leaves of Tulsi can be boiled with tea to provide the herb’s benefit in curing common fever. A decoction made of Tulsi leaves is considered to be very effective in Ayurveda to cure common cold and fever. Water boiled with Tulsi leaves is helpful in getting relieved from sore throat and cough.
- Anti-stress benefits: Tulsi is known as an adaptogen, which means that it acts as a stress-relieving agent for the body. It maintains the normal level of cortisol, which is a stress hormone. Also, it soothes the nerves, regulates blood circulation and removes free radicals that are produced due to stress. It is regarded as a natural way to beat stress.
- Antioxidant benefits: The complex chemistry of Tulsi includes certain phytochemicals, which are natural compounds that plants produce in order to protect themselves from microbial infections. Consuming Tulsi in any form provides you the advantages of these phytochemicals by enhancing your natural defence against infections. The antioxidant properties of Tulsi provide you immunity boost and protect your cells from free-radical damage. Due to these properties, Tulsi acts as an anti-ageing agent by delaying the signs of ageing.
- Protects the heart: Tulsi contains a compound called eugenol, which is responsible for keeping the blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check. This wonder herb is highly useful in providing relief from cardiac weakness.
- Good for kidneys: Tulsi herb has benefits for kidneys as well. It acts as a diuretic and has detoxifying effects on kidneys. Tulsi leaves also normalise the uric acid level in the blood, which is one of the major reasons for the formation of kidney stones. Research says that when consumed with honey, Tulsi powder benefits by dissolving kidney stones.
- Takes care of skin and hair: The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Tulsi make this herb helpful in reducing skin- and hair-related problems. Tulsi leaves are known to possess purifying effects on the blood. They give you a clear complexion. Another benefit of Tulsi powder for skin is that it lowers the chances of breakouts on acne-prone skin. Tulsi powder benefits your hair by reducing hairfall and itchiness of scalp.
Tulsi has remarkable health-enhancing qualities that make it popular among those who care for their health. Easy-to grow, this herb is useful for its ability to cure common illnesses as well as its spiritual power. So try making it an integral part of your life to make your health better.