GymnemaShowing 1 - 10 of 10 results
A woody climbing plant typically found in the tropical rainforests of India, Gymnema Sylvestre has been used in the traditional folk medicine for its variety of therapeutic benefits. It is known as gurmar in Hindi, which means “sugar destroyer.” The gymnemic acids present in this herb mimic glucose molecules and react with the taste buds responsible for sugar sensing. The leaves of Gymnema herb are used in herbal Ayurvedic preparations for combating sugar metabolism problems naturally, and the stem, flowers and fruits are also believed to possess certain medicinal effects.
Gymnema extract has been used for a long time as a significant cure to lower down blood glucose and cholesterol levels. The leaves of this plant are also beneficial in weight loss, asthma and skin conditions. The gymnemic acids present in this herb possess anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties. It also consists of other important constituents, like parabins, glucose and carbohydrates. Consuming tea prepared with whole Gymnema leaves may be really effective in several conditions.
Gymnema Sylvestre Health Benefits
- Gymnema reduces the absorption of glucose from the intestines and reduces the cravings for sugar. This lowers your sugar intake and thus Gymnema aids in weight loss as well.
- Consuming Gymnema herb in any form reduces the amount of stored carbohydrates and converts them into energy. This decrease the fats deposited in the body and deliver more energy.
- Another major benefit of Gymnema is that it reduces bad cholesterol in the blood. This contribution of Gymnema aids in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Gymnema sylvestre acts as a diuretic, which means that it increases the amount of urine flow and helps in detoxification of the body.
- Consumtion of Gymnema extract increases the secretion of insulin from the insulin-secreting cells of the pancreas. Also it suppresses the secretion of glucose by the liver. In this, Gymnema benefits by keeping the sugar level under control in people suffering from both diabetes type 1 and type 2.
Gymnema herb is a historical remedy used to provide relief to diabetics. Considering its benefits, scientists have become interested in performing research on how it can cure diabetes. Gymnema powder, tablets, capsules etc., are easily available in the market and make this herb available in easy forms.
Intake of Gymnema extract along with a balanced diet and weight management program may help in bringing your weight under control. Also, it is believed that consumption of Gymnema by diabetics may also remove the requirement of supplementing with insulin. Scientists have found that the positive effects of Gymnema Sylvestre for diabetes patients are really promising and more research should be performed on it to derive its more potent benefits in managing diabetes.