Balanced Diet 4 MIN READ 106 VIEWS June 1, 2021

7 Easy Ways to Keep Your Diet Balanced

Written By Jyoti Jaswal

balanced healthy diet

A balanced healthy diet is one that contains several varieties of foods in specific proportions and quantities in order to fulfill the basic requirements for essential food groups such as proteins, vitamins, and minerals in addition to the daily recommended calorie intake. 

As a general rule of thumb, it is recommended that around 70% of your food intake comes from carbs, around 15% from proteins, and the rest from fats. In addition to supplying these essential nutrients, it is important that your balanced diet is also a good source of bioactive chemicals such as fiber and antioxidants that aid the proper functioning of our body. 

Here are a few easy ways that can help you keep your diet balanced:

Stop Following Fad Diets 

Most of us often have a tendency to cut off essential food groups such as carbs and fats altogether as a way to lose weight. While diets like the Atkins diet and the keto diet plan may be effective for a while, completely restraining your nutritional intake and limiting yourself is only going to cause more cravings in the long run. Instead, you can start off by making minor changes in a gradual and regular manner until you lose some weight, It is important to remember that your fitness journey is not merely a diet, but a lifestyle choice.  

Balance Your Nutrients

It is important that you ensure the consumption of essential food groups such as fats and carbs in every meal. Doing this will not only control your appetite but also meet your nutritional requirements. The best way to fill yourself up would be to consume healthy amounts of vegetables and proteins with a tiny serving of carbs. Make sure that you opt for healthier fat sources such as olive or coconut oil which are useful for helping your body absorb minerals.

Indulge Yourself

Restraining yourself from eating something for too long can often backfire on you and have the complete opposite effect of what you wanted. A good way to prevent this from happening is to follow the 80/20 rule. This means that you must consume healthy meals about 80% of all time and give yourself the other 20% to indulge in foods of your choice. This is a perfectly healthy choice and will not interfere with your weight loss diet as long as you do not overdo it, 

Fix Your Relationship With Food

Most of us have a tendency to villainize certain foods while following a diet plan for weight loss. This can lead to building a very damaged relationship with your food. While it is true that there are certain foods that one must steer clear of while trying to stay healthy, it is important that you still view that food with healthy respect instead of making it the enemy.  

Mind What You Eat

With all these different sugary beverages and fizzy drinks in attractive packages to choose from, especially in summers, it can be hard for us to make the right nutritional choices. What seems like a simple glass of soda can contain ten times the recommended amount of sugar intake for the week. Which is why it is important that you be aware of the things that you put inside your body. Not everything that is marketed at you is good for you. Instead, you can opt for natural and healthier sources which can both quench your cravings and keep you fit. 

Learn To Substitute

With every passing day, the food sector is becoming more revolutionised. It is now easier than ever to purchase fresh and healthy meals at almost any given restaurant or supermarket. With more people offering healthier alternatives to processed carb foods and sugary beverages, it is easy for you to maintain a balanced diet, now more than ever. Try substituting your cravings with low sugar and low-carb foods. For example, if you are in the mood for some ice cream, just purchase some fresh and natural flavored yogurt, which will satisfy your sweet tooth without giving you any health complications. 

Maintain A Diary

Another way to ensure that your daily nutritional intake is balanced is to maintain a journal or diary that records what you eat throughout the day. Noting down your food intake can help you have a better sense of the things that you tend to consume a lot and analyze whether or not it is safe for you. If you do not have the time to bring out a notebook and a pen every time you eat, that’s fine too. There are several apps available in the market that can not only help you log these foods, but also indicate their nutritional value. This is especially helpful for those who follow low carb diets.

Read these next