Vitamins and minerals are essential in many diets, especially for those who take multivitamin or multimineral capsules to improve their health or to compensate for a poor diet. Nowadays, you can easily find various types of multi mineral vitamin supplements, including gummy.
About Gummy Vitamins & Its Composition
Gummy vitamins are chewable vitamins that are famous for their soft texture and rich flavour. Their flavour resembles candy jelly beans and is available in a variety of colours, sizes, flavours, and shapes. These gummy are mainly consumed by children as well as adults who don’t like swallowing pills and unable to take vitamins and minerals in food.
These gummy vitamins are made from water, sugar, corn starch, gelatin, and added dyes. Its popular flavours are cherry, orange, raspberry and lemon. Gummy provides you essential vitamins and minerals or some selected nutrients such as calcium and Vitamin D.
Pros Of Gummy Vitamins
These gummy vitamins are a tasty and clever way to get all the important vitamins and minerals you and your child need for the day. The pros of taking these vitamins are:
- These are full of essential vitamins and essential minerals, meaning it can benefit people. According to research, people who don’t eat a balanced diet don’t require taking multivitamins. Some people like older adults, vegans, and pregnant women can benefit from supplements, including those who can’t eat certain foods.
- One of the other major reasons why people prefer gummy vitamins is because they not only contain essential vitamins but also are easy to chew, rich in flavour and can be taken by people who find it difficult to swallow pills. They are also simple to include in children and adult routines and are consumed more consistently than pills and capsules of a multivitamin.
- Gummy vitamins for skin and hair can also do wonders to your skin and hair health. Besides this, they can be helpful in reducing vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms.
Cons of Gummy Vitamins
Because of its flavour and taste, your child will ask you for more gummies, and it can be a red flag. Coating a vitamin and mineral supplement in delicious, sticky sugar has its own risks, such as:
- Gummy vitamins rich taste usually come from the added sugars. It must be taken into account that overconsumption of added sugar can lead to tooth decay, heart disease, and obesity. The sugar in the gummy vitamins may not be in a large quantity, but it can lead to excessive consumption of sugar when you take more than 1 gummy vitamin in a day and have other foods also with added sugars. So, make sure you watch the sugar content in your gummy vitamin and avoid the one that contains sugar alcohols as they can cause nausea, bloating, diarrhea, and other digestive issues in some people.
- Gummy vitamins contain less vitamin content than regular multivitamins, which makes them less effective and also adds extra sugar to your diet.
- The delicious taste of gummy vitamins can increase the risk of overdose and can lead to toxicity of vitamins and minerals, which can harm your body.
If you are using gummy vitamins, then you can reduce the risk by taking certain measures. Include your gummy vitamins with meals instead of consuming them as a treat and educate your child on how eating healthy is important and help them follow good dental hygiene habits. Make them understand that gummy vitamins are only to get extra nutrients that we can get from food alone. You can also switch to other options like preparing healthy meals using food rich in vitamins and minerals and switch to chewable tablets that don’t impact your child’s oral health. Taking these options into consideration can prevent the risks of vitamins while promoting your overall health.