|Nutritional Value of Bitter Gourd|
|Ayurveda on Bitter Gourd Juice Benefits|
|How to Make Bitter Gourd Juice|
|When to Drink Bitter Gourd Juice|
|Can We Drink Bitter Gourd Juice Daily|
|Bitter Gourd Juice Benefits for Your Overall Health|
Bitter gourd or Karela, no matter how bad it tastes, is loaded with countless health benefits. It is, therefore, no wonder that this vegetable has been an integral part of Indian cusine for generations now. A lot of us have seen our grandparents gulping down bitter gourd juice in the morning. There are various bitter gourd juice benefits that will give you a big enough reason to add this nutritious drink to your diet.
Well, there is no particular age to really start focusing on health, is there? The sooner you start the better it is. And if you need some reasons to push yourself towards making this bitter juice a part of your diet, this article is the perfect read for you.
From answering questions like can we drink bitter gourd juice daily to how to make bitter gourd juice perfectly, we have covered it all. So, go ahead and take a look at what makes bitter gourd juice a must-have.
Nutritional Value of Bitter Gourd
Known to be a powerhouse of several essential nutrients, bitter gourd offers a rich intake of several vitamins and minerals.
In addition to dietary fibre, Karela is rich in iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. In fact, did you know that bitter gourd offers double the amount of calcium one gets from broccoli or spinach and double the potassium one gets from one banana? It is also loaded with vitamins like Vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3, B6 and B9.
Ayurveda on Bitter Gourd Juice Benefits
Ayurveda and even Chinese medicine assert the healing and medicinal properties of Bitter Gourd. Here are some of them:
- Bitter Gourd is used as a stomachic in Ayurveda. This means it aids digestion and improves appetite. It is used to clear stomach infections, is antiparasitic in nature, and is a great laxative.
- Bitter gourd is added to several Ayurvedic medicines for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- It helps treat cough, cold, and breathing ailments since bitter gourd is extremely rich in vitamin C.
- Several Ayurvedic remedies for skin use Karela as an application for skin infections, itching, and even wound healing.
- Ayurveda categorizes bitter gourd as a Tridoshic — something that helps manage the body’s imbalances related to three doshas — Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
It is for all these reasons that Ayurveda strongly recommends consuming Karela juice for maximum health benefits.
How to Make Bitter Gourd Juice?
Here is a simple and easy bitter gourd juice recipe that you can use:
- Bitter gourds – 2, medium-sized, tender
- Apple juice – from ½ cup fruit
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Honey/Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Ginger – ¼ cube
- Scoop out the seeds and cut the bitter gourds into tiny pieces.
- Put the pieces in a blender along with all the other ingredients.
- Blend well and add a little water if the consistency is too thick.
- Your juice is ready.
When to Drink Bitter Gourd Juice?
The best time to drink this juice is early morning. Ayurveda recommends consuming it before breakfast to derive all the bitter gourd juice benefits.
This juice, when taken on an empty stomach, acts as a blood purifier and offers the best results in removing toxins from the body, improving liver function, and aiding digestion. When taken as the first thing in the morning, bitter gourd juice also helps to control blood sugar levels.
If you are having bitter gourd juice for weight loss, it is best to consume it post workouts. Since this juice is an emetic, it is best avoided at night, as it may leave you feeling nauseous.
Can We Drink Bitter Gourd Juice Daily?
If you are consuming the juice as a remedy to fight any ailment, it is best to consume it twice a week for maximum bitter gourd juice benefits. Diabetics are suggested to have at least 30-50ml bitter gourd juice on a daily basis for the best management of the disease. However, if you want to consume it just to boost your immune system and overall health, simply having it once a week will also serve the purpose.
Bitter Gourd Juice Benefits for Your Overall Health
Listed below are some of the best benefits of drinking bitter gourd juice:
1. Aids Heart Health and Reduces LDL Cholesterol
Bitter Gourd juice is anti-inflammatory in nature and helps to lower LDL cholesterol. As a result, it is great for your heart because it prevents plaque buildup and prevents heart attacks in the long run. As bitter gourd juice is rich in potassium, calcium and iron, it also strengthens the heart and immunity over time.
2. Fights Infections and Boosts Immunity
Having a glass of bitter gourd juice during winters is a great way to keep cough, cold, and flu at bay. Being a rich source of antioxidants, karela juice fights the effect of free radicals on the body and boosts the overall immunity. This is also the reason why bitter gourd juice is considered effective against tumours and malignant growths.
3. Manages Blood Sugar Levels
This is one of the most helpful among the many bitter gourd juice benefits, especially for diabetics. A rich source of Polypeptide-P, bitter gourd juice prevents the sudden spikes in blood sugar levels. If you are aiming to bring down your sugar levels, Ayurveda advocates taking at least 2 ml of the thick bitter gourd juice. You can add some water if you want. Also, consuming this juice regularly helps to improve your glycemic control.
4. Enhances Liver Function
If you cannot drink karela juice, just add this vegetable to your weekly diet chart as a dish and gain from its liver detoxifying benefits. It helps cleansing the liver and detoxifies the body in addition to aiding digestion to stimulate metabolism and fat loss.
5. Fights Hangovers
It helps to recover from the effects of hangovers, including nausea and intoxication. It cleanses your gut from within and detoxifies your liver, thus overcoming the effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Simply have it on an empty stomach for immediate relief.
6. Great for Your Eyesight
Bitter gourd juice is abundant in Vitamin A and its consistent intake helps improve your eyesight. It also delays eye diseases like cataract or macular degeneration in the elderly. The juice helps prevent further decline of weak eyesight in kids as well.
Other Bitter Gourd Juice Benefits to Remember
- Bitter gourd juice helps relieve constipation.
- It helps you get rid of intestinal worms.
- If you are prone to get frequent stomach ailments, bitter gourd juice is a great drink for you.
- This juice instantly helps purify the blood and enhances blood circulation in the body.
- It offers relief to people suffering from gout, joint inflammation, and excessive uric acid buildup.
- A rich source of Vitamin C, karela juice enhances immunity, is great for your skin, and even works as a mood uplifter.
- Bitter gourd juice is also good for your hair. If rubbed on the scalp regularly, it helps treat dandruff, prevents premature greying, and reduces oiliness of the scalp.
Bitter Gourd Juice Side-Effects
Just like everything else, it is vital to consume bitter gourd juice in moderation only for the best results. Also, bitter gourd is known to induce vomiting in pregnant women, therefore, it is best avoided in such a scenario. People with low blood sugar levels must also avoid eating bitter gourd.
A staple in most Indian homes, bitter gourd is one vegetable that is full of countless health benefits. From a simple dish to an easy-to-make juice, this versatile veggie has a lot to offer if taken in moderation. Now that you know how to make bitter gourd juice, go ahead and give it a try and enjoy the various bitter gourd juice benefits.