Are you concerned with hair thinning, hair fall, loss of hair shine and texture, and frizzy hair? Using onion hair oil will help you control all these and more. Onion oil is a grandma’s time-tested potion for hair care. Onion oil solves most problems related to your scalp and promotes the healthy growth of hair. Onions are rich in nutrients that nourish your hair follicles. Simply understood, onions increase your hair strength, shine, and volume. Onion hair oil acts as a hair conditioner. Onion hair oil benefits include prevention of breakage and reduced thinning of hair. It gives you lustrous, shiny, and strong locks that can make others envy.
What is Special about Onion Oil?
Onions have antibacterial properties, working on your scalp and fighting scalp infections. Onions are rich in dietary sulphur, a common mineral in our bodies. Sulphur is needed to produce adequate enzymes and proteins essential for hair, muscles and skin. Keratin added to hair oils is a source of sulphur needed for nourishment and growth of hair. Onion oil fulfils this need naturally. Antioxidants in onion oil protect from free radicals, which are agents of our ageing process. They destroy hair follicles leading to hair loss and thinning of hair.
Onion Oil with Black Seed Oil
Use of onion oil enriched with black seed oil sets you off on the path to healthy, lustrous, and gorgeous hair. Black seed oil brings in the goodness of Vitamin C, Folate, or Vitamin B9 and Vitamin B6, adding on to the benefits of onion oil. Together, these oils benefit you by:
- Maintaining the pH value of your scalp
- Promoting healthy hair growth
- Preventing premature greying
- Decreasing the volume of oxidative stress (an imbalance in production and accumulation of oxygen reactive species in the body, causing cell and tissue damage)
- Fighting and treating scalp infections at the root itself
- Warding off dandruff
- Adding to the volume of your hair
- Protecting your hair follicles from breaking down
- Making your hair look healthy and shiny
- Preventing your hair from becoming frizzy
Using Onion Hair Oil
Here are a few tips for using onion hair oil to obtain the benefits and results you desire:
- Gently massage a few drops of onion oil into your scalp with your palm and fingers for about 15 – 20 minutes. Let it sit for a few hours, or better, overnight. Use a natural shampoo to rinse your hair. For best results, repeat the process every two to three days.
- Mix onion oil with ginger juice to stave off fungal or bacterial infections. Mixing onion oil with egg yolk helps frizzy hair become smooth and shiny. Onion oil is extremely versatile and mixes easily with such ingredients.
- If relief from dandruff, reduction in split ends, tackling dry and brittleness of your hair, and regaining lost hair strength happen to be your goal, try out hot oil treatment using onion oil. Wash your hair. Heat onion oil for about 10 seconds in your microwave and apply to your damp hair. Massage the oil thoroughly onto your scalp and thereafter keep a shower cap on for about 30 minutes. Wash hair after 30 minutes.
- Mixed with honey, onion oil is excellent for hydrating your hair. The onion oil nourishes your dry scalp while the rich emollients in honey smoothen your hair follicles. Acting in tandem, onion oil and honey moisturise your hair and retain as well as restore its shine.
Preparing Onion Oil at Home
Onion oil is known for ages and used to be a favourite at kitchens before the last few generations got overwhelmed and grew dependent on readymade, chemical-based solutions. With the limelight back on onion oil for its known, effective, long-term benefits and results, why not try out the homemade recipe for yourself:
1. Use a juice extractor to make onion juice from peeled onions. To make 800 gm of onion oil, you need to take 3.2 kg of fresh onion to get onion juice.
2. You will also need 100 gm of onion paste to make 800 gm of onion oil. Simple grind peeled onions in your grinder to paste.
3. Next, you are required to mix sesame or coconut oil with the onion oil and onion paste in a saucepan. Mix them thoroughly.
4. Now, bring the mixture to boil in the saucepan on your gas stove.
5. Reduce the heat on the first boil and allow the mixture to simmer, stirring frequently, until oil remains.
6. At this stage, remove the pan from the stove and let the concoction cool for a few hours.
7. Strain the oil through a cheesecloth and collect it in an air-tight container.
8. You have your homemade onion oil with all its benefits ready for you.
If you are constrained for time, simply extract the juice of small-sized onions. Mix it with your regular coconut oil and apply directly on your scalp, massaging for about 15 – 20 minutes before washing off with a natural shampoo. Do this twice a week for best results.
Using heavy quantities may lead to itching, irritation, and hair fall. A few normal drops used twice a week yield the best results. Reap the best onion hair oil benefits by following the tips mentioned above.