There is a reason why tea is our country’s most popular drink – have it early in the morning, in the evening along with some snacks or post workout, the benefits of this beverage are numerous. Tea offers plenty of health benefits with regard to sports and fitness and with the various blends available, it is extremely healthy and rejuvenating. Post workout, hydration is key and while good old water is always there, it tends to get boring at times. Tea after workout is the answer to this problem as it is low in calories, high in taste, and full of antioxidants.
Different Tea Blends to Try After Workout
Let us explore some of the different blends and variants of tea and delve into their properties and benefits:
1. Green Tea
The most popular form of tea, green tea, is well known for the health benefits it provides and the role that it plays in weight loss. What most people don’t know is that green tea is excellent for fat oxidation – a process where the body breaks down the fat molecules and uses it as energy. Green tea contains L-theanine, which is an amino acid that improves brain function and reduces post-workout inflammation.
Benefits of Green Tea:
– Green tea contains EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) which is an antioxidant that helps prevent many diseases. Green tea boosts metabolism after workout and drinking it will help you burn more calories.
– During a workout, the heart rate is extremely high. Drinking green tea post workout has a relaxing effect on the body and slows down the heart rate too.
– Green tea is generally sugar free, making for a guilt-free beverage.
– Green tea is rich in antioxidants that reduce muscle soreness and fatigue. It provides less DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
2. Rooibos Tea
Originally from South Africa, rooibos means red bush. The rooibos tea is reddish brown in colour, which is due to the harvesting process. The rooibos tree plant has yellow flowers and green leaves. These leaves are fermented and dried, giving the tea the signature reddish brown colour. Rich in magnesium, copper, calcium, potassium, and manganese, this is an excellent post-workout beverage.
Benefits of Rooibos Tea:
– Rooibos tea has calcium which strengthens the joints and the bones. This tea is particularly good for people whose workout routines are intense and require a lot of heavy lifting or jumping.
– This tea is great as it speeds up muscle recovery, reducing soreness and post-workout fatigue.
– Rooibos tea contains aspalathin, a kind of antioxidant that boosts immunity against external viruses.
– The rooibos tea is recommended for diabetic people as it balances blood sugar levels and boosts the secretion of insulin and improves insulin resistance.
3. Black Tea
The simplest form of tea, black tea, is a great post-workout drink. In fact, sipping this tea during the workout is also a good way to stay hydrated. Black tea is easy to make and very easy to store – one of the reasons why it is counted amongst the popular teas.
Benefits of Black Tea:
– Black tea is known to provide mental clarity and improve mood – something that is necessary post workout to maintain adrenaline rush.
– Black tea also hydrates you, providing the necessary energy and strength that is required post workout.
– Black tea does not contain any artificial form of sugar and this is why it is one of the best and healthiest recovery drinks.
4. Chamomile Tea
This one is often considered to be the best tea to drink after workouts like yoga and stretching. Made from dried chamomile flowers, this tea makes for not only an excellent post workout drink but is also effective in managing illnesses like diabetes and cancer. Chamomile tea is extremely rich in flavonoids, an antioxidant that is linked to stronger bones and joints.
Benefits of Chamomile Tea:
– Chamomile tea contains anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce arthritis and post-workout soreness.
– Chamomile tea is also known for its relaxing properties and for helping improve sleep. Post workout, adequate rest is extremely important. Chamomile tea helps to reduce anxiety and improves quality of sleep.
The best way to optimise a workout is to stay hydrated, especially for those who exercise daily. Drinking water is the best form of hydration but sometimes it gets monotonous and the body requires a change. Tea is the best alternative as it is healthy and extremely low in calories. Containing organic compounds and antioxidants, drinking tea after workout helps to boost metabolism, reduces muscle soreness, and helps to burn fat faster.
Go ahead, sip on some tea post your workout. You are sure to see improvements in just a short period of time!