What Is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is a highly concentrated powder form of protein. This high-quality protein is naturally found in milk products. So what’s the difference between milk and whey? Milk is made of two proteins – casein and whey. Whey protein can be separated from casein in milk, or it can also be formed as a byproduct of cheese formation process. Whey is mostly available in powder form and for consumption, you can mix it with water or skimmed milk to make protein shakes. These shakes are perfect as pre and post workout snacks.
Whey protein is considered to be a complete protein. It contains all 9 essential amino acids required by the body for various bodily functions. The best part about whey is that it has low lactose content and is easy to digest. This means that people with lactose intolerance can also consume whey protein supplements.
Whey supplements are a good way to add high-quality protein to your diet. There are 3 major types of whey proteins –
1. Whey Protein Concentrate
This is the most basic form of protein found in protein supplements and the protein content varies between 25% and 89%. Whey protein concentrate is best for beginners.
2. Whey Protein Isolate
This is the purest form of protein. It contains 90 – 95% protein and is perfect for athletes and bodybuilders. The low fat and lactose content means that it is suitable for lactose intolerant people as well.
3. Whey Protein Hydrolysate
This gets most easily absorbed in the body and the protein content varies between 80% to 90%. Wheyproteinhydrolsate is most commonly used in infant formula, and sports and nutrition formulas.
How is Whey Protein Made?
- The milk used to extract whey is derived from cows. It consists of 3.5% protein, 4% fat, and 4.6% lactose.
- This milk is unpasteurized and is then cooled 4degree C and then transported in refrigerated trucks to cheese making factories
- The milk is then pasteurized and cooled. At this stage, milk contains 80% casein and 20% whey.
- The liquid is separated from the curds using enzymes. The casein is matured into various cheeses.
- Liquid whey is then filtered to remove fats, minerals, water, and lactose and whey proteins micro-filtered to convert it into whey protein concentrate.
- The high protein liquid whey is spray dried into a powder.
- This concentrated version is packaged and sent to various warehouses to be formulized.
- Once formulized, it is sent to stores from where you can buy your favorite brand and flavor.
Whey Protein Benefits
Given below are some of the whey protein benefits –
- Helps reduce weight
Most of us want to reduce weight, but people have a misconception that whey protein leads to weight gain. On the contrary, a research was conducted and a group of people were given whey protein and it was noted that there was a loss in body fat and they showed greater preservation of lean muscle. This shows that whey protein helps in weight loss.
- Lowers cholesterol
Cholesterol can be highly dangerous for your heart health. High amount of bad cholesterol can cause heart problems, strokes, and even heart attack. A research was conducted and a group of 70 overweight men and women were given whey for 12 weeks. It was noted a significant reduction in their total cholesterol and LDL as compared to those who had given casein supplements.
- Good for cardiovascular health
Taking care of your heart is so important, but in this fast-paced life, we often tend to overlook cardiovascular health. Taking whey protein will ensure it manages your cardiovascular health. A healthy balanced diet and regular exercise are two factors that keep your heart healthy. But people who consume whey protein regularly are at a lower risk of developing heart diseases or being affected by strokes.
- Reduces blood pressure
Various researches have proven that consuming beverages enriched with the goodness of whey protein helps reducing blood pressure in patients with hypertension.
Some other benefits –
- Highly satiating, therefore, helps in controlling hunger
- Promotes muscle growth
- Helps treat type 2 diabetes
- Beneficial for inflammatory bowel disease
- Good source of high-quality protein
- Enhances body’s antioxidant defense
Where to buy whey in India?
There are many brands available, so make sure you do proper research. You can easily buy whey protein online at www.healthkart.com. Choose from the top-rated brands and premium quality whey powders and whey supplements. The top 10 whey protein supplements in India are –
- MuscleBlaze Whey Gold
- ON Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein
- Dymatize Elite Whey
- Muscletech NitroTech Performance Series
- Iso Pure Whey Protein
- Ultimate Nutrition Prostar Whey
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
- BPI Sports Whey
- MyProtein Impact Whey Protein
- Universal Ultra Whey Pro
The Top Whey Protein Brands in India are :
Muscletech Whey Protein
Dymatiaze Whey Protein
Side effects of Whey Protein
Although whey protein is quite safe, in some cases it may cause certain side effects. Most common side effects of whey protein include –
- Stomach cramps
Most of the side effects are related to lactose intolerance. Since lactose is the most common component in whey, and people who are lactose intolerant cannot produce lactase enzyme to digest lactose. Low amount of this enzyme means these side effects become more prominent.
Make sure to talk to your doctor and trainer before include whey protein in your diet. There are many kinds of whey protein powders and whey supplements available. Choose one that aligns to your fitness needs and fits your budget.