Before we look at the benefits of tomato juice, let’s understand the facts about tomatoes. Tomato is actually a fruit from the nightshade family and it is native to South America. Even though botanically it’s a fruit, it has been more recognised and used as a vegetable.
Nutritional Facts About Tomatoes
Tomatoes have become an indispensable part of Indian & international cuisine. They are also super nutritious. Here is the list of nutrients that we obtain from just 100gms of tomatoes:
- Water – 95%
- Calories – 18
- Protein – 0.9 gms
- Carbs – 3.9 gms
- Sugar – 2.6 gms
- Fibre – 1.2 gms
- Fat – 0.2 gms
Tomatoes are a big source of vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, and folate. They are also rich in the antioxidant Lycopene, which in turn, plays a significant role in maintaining heart health and offers anti-carcinogenic benefits as well. Lycopene is actually also what lends the ripe tomatoes their characteristic deep red colour.
Along with lycopene, tomatoes also contain beta-carotene, naringenin, and chlorogenic acid. The chlorophylls & carotenoids, like lycopene, give a rich colour to tomatoes.
Major Health Benefits of Tomato Juice
There are many benefits of drinking tomato juice. The process of juicing helps release several compounds which we do not absorb normally from raw tomatoes. In case we do not eat the tomatoes regularly, then the swapping of beverages like soda with tomato juice is a good way to reap the benefits of tomato juice.
- Tomato juice is anti-inflammatory, which is really beneficial for the overall health of the heart and the brain.
- Being rich in potassium, tomato juice helps in lowering the elevated blood pressure of the body. Potassium also reduces water retention.
- Tomato juice is rich with nutrients and low in fat and calories, helping in the weight loss journey. This is one of the most favoured benefits of tomato juice.
- It helps stimulate bowel movement. Its richness in water and fibre boosts digestion and functions as a mild laxative thus helping prevent constipation.
- One of the benefits of drinking tomato juice is its rich content of phytonutrients which is well known to prevent abnormal platelet cell clumping. This is very beneficial for those who are at risk of heart conditions.
- The contents of phytonutrients like beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin along with vitamin C are well known to protect our eyes from age-related macular degeneration and cataract.
- It helps our body recover from strenuous exercise by providing a perfect balance of chemicals to our body.
- Tomato juice is very good for curing hangovers too.
- The high levels of lycopene in tomatoes give them a bright red colour which protects them from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Exactly the same way it protects our body cells too from such damage. It adds flavours to our food and makes our skin soft & supple.
- One glass of tomato juice contains almost 74% of the body’s recommended daily vitamin C intake. This vitamin C is necessary for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues.
- The vitamins and iron content of tomato juice helps revive the rough, damaged, and lifeless hair.
Tomato Juice Benefits for Skin
There are various ways in which tomato juice contributes towards skin health. Some of these include:
- It helps in getting rid of tanning, pigmentation, and discolouration due to tanning.
- It helps in shrinking the open pores and tightens the skin.
- Tomato juice is also helpful in treating acne.
- The juice regulates the secretion of sebum in oily skin.
- One can also reap tomato juice benefits for skin whitening.
- The tomato juice acts as an astringent and helps revitalize dull skin.
Tomato Juice Home Remedies for Skin
Listed below are a couple of home remedies involving tomato juice that work wonders for the skin:
1. Skin Whitening
We can consider drinking tomato juice for skin whitening. Drinking tomato juice helps shrink the skin pores, removing tan, and reducing sebum. This makes the skin glow. If taken with pomegranate which has the ability to purify the blood, it gives better results by nourishing the skin and making it glow.
Although drinking tomato juice for skin whitening will also help, the application works faster. For this, you need to just cut the tomato in two halves, squeeze out the juice and apply it all over the parts that need whitening. Let the juice saturate into the skin pores. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and wash it off. This acts as a skin lightener. Large amounts of antioxidants & vitamin C present in tomatoes act as a natural bleaching agent.
2. Skin Pigmentation
This is considered one of the best benefits of drinking tomato juice. The application of tomato juice on the face makes the skin brighter and radiant. It also reduces the pigmentation, dark spots, and dullness of the face. It is more effective when tomato pulp is mixed with a bit of lemon juice. This paste can be used regularly before bath to get better results.
When to Have Tomato Juice
Since tomato is the best source of lycopene, a plant compound that promotes good sleep, the juice can be taken in the evenings. However, it should be avoided before sleeping.
It is advised to take a cup of tomato juice in the morning since it activates organs by supplying the desired nutrients. However, it is also advised not to take tomato juice on an empty stomach in the mornings because the tannic acid present in tomatoes increases the acidity in the stomach which can lead to gastric problems.
Side-Effects of Tomato Juice
Tomato juice has very few side effects which surface only when it is consumed excessively. Tomatoes, if eaten in excess, can cause digestive trouble, diarrhoea, kidney problems, and body aches.
Tomato juice is a healthy intake that offers several benefits to our body and skin. After understanding all the benefits of tomato juice, it is hard to ignore it as a part of our daily diet. So, go ahead and give tomato juice a try either for your skin or for your overall health and do not forget to write to us about your experience.