Oxygen ConcentratorsShowing 1 - 0 of 0results
It is usually noticed that when doctors suggest oxygen therapy to patients, the latter often laments due to their freedom being lost. Also, since a few of you would be avid travellers, carrying oxygen tanks on airlines is something that is not permitted. What comes to use here is an Oxygen Concentrator that is not only portable, but allows you to live your life without any inhibitions and enjoy the lifestyle you have developed for yourself.
Suitable for patients who require high level of oxygen therapies, Oxygen Concentrator is a device that most doctors recommend. They work to convert environmental air to accelerated levels of natural oxygen. These concentrators are high on convenience, safer as an option and more useful than metal tanks.
What is oxygen therapy?
The therapy is recommended by physicians to patients suffering from ailments where proper supply of oxygen is hampered. It is particularly seen in cases of lung disease, cancer, or heart problems. Oxygen therapy becomes an essential for such patients as it is very important for oxygen to be properly circulated and distributed in the blood.
The amount of time a patient spends on the therapy greatly varies.
How do Oxygen Concentrators work?
The device brings into use the simple formula of pressure swing absorption. By this we mean that ambient nitrogen is absorbed by zeolite materials present in the concentrator. The absorbed gas is then released at low pressure and pure oxygen is emitted from the output. This is how it typically works:
- The Oxygen Concentrator is fitted with two cylinders filled with zeolite pellets. Atmospheric air is passed though the porous zeolite bed which absorbs all traces of nitrogen, and releases almost pure oxygen and other minor environmental components like argon, carbon dioxide and water vapour.
- Within a few seconds of its contact with the environmental air, the zeolite becomes saturated. While the first cylinder works to vent air, the second takes care of absorbing more. The cycle thus repeats itself.
Tips for choosing Oxygen Concentrators
Since there are a number of companies making these concentrators, Equinox, Nidek and AirSep are the some of the leading and most trusted brands. It is also very essential to choose the device that would suit you the best. Here are a few tips to consider while buying an Oxygen Concentrator:
- Talk to your healthcare professional and let him recommend the brand and its features that are best suited for you.
- Speak to suppliers and manufacturers and don’t hesitate to gather as much information you can. This helps to give a clear picture of the product and the features it offers.
- Do not take price into consideration and focus on one thing—quality!
- Buy a concentrator that offers a little higher capacity that what you need. This would help to save money in case you would want to upgrade in future.
- Always purchase though reputable dealers.
Oxygen Concentrators come attached with the following advantages:
- As against oxygen cylinders, Oxygen Concentrators are safer. While the former can rupture or leak and increase combustion rate of fire, the latter is easy to use and suitable for all situations.
- Due to Oxygen Concentrators being safe, the device can be used in military or disaster situations.
- They are generally foolproof and can be prescribed to individuals for usage at home.
- Since it is not a very elaborate device, it can be easily stored.
- The system is very easy to use. You just have to plug it into any electrical outlet and the device starts functioning.
- The device also comes with the advantage of its unique ability of converting ambient air into oxygen. By doing so, the system needs no refilling.
- They also come with a lot of safety. You do not have to worry about them from tilting or keeping them upright all the time.
- Since they are easy to use, the device can be carried from one place to another without much hassle.
Care of Oxygen Concentrator
Caring for your device and disinfecting it at regular intervals prevents any kind of infection. Cleaning the equipment is easy. The only catch here is to clean it in a dust and smoke free room where there are no open windows. Follow this procedure weekly:
- Unplug the unit and remove filter.
- Wash the filter in warm water using a soap free detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Pat dry with a clean cloth.
- Place the filer back.
- Also, use a damp cloth to wipe the entire body and all buttons of the device.