Tips on How to Buy The Best Jogging Shoes
If you are looking for an easy, yet effective form of exercise to keep those extra kilos at bay, then jogging proves to be the best option. A daily run helps stimulate your metabolism, keeping you fit and healthy. However, before you put on your jogging shoes and hit the track, there are some important considerations.
While jogging may seem like a relatively simple form of exercise, the risk-of-injury arising out of faulty, uncomfortable or worn-out shoes is quite common in joggers. It is therefore, sensible to invest in a pair of good quality jogging shoes and derive maximum benefits from your daily run.
The need for comfortable jogging shoes
When jogging; it is essential that the body gets proper lateral stability. Ill-fitting or worn-out shoes often tend to lean to a side resulting in poor support. Jogging exerts pressure on the legs, knees and feet. If the shoes are not comfortable and cushioned enough, it can cause pain in these parts, arising out of muscle, ligament, or bone damage over a period of time.
Factors to consider while buying Jogging shoes
Here are some important factors to keep in mind when selecting your jogging shoes:
Type of feet:
We all have differently shaped feet, in different sizes. While we do buy size-specific shoes, we seldom buy shape-specific foot wear. Feet can be high-arched, normal or flat in shape.
People, who have high-arched feet, tend to bend them outwards while running. However, constant jogging may cause the arches to fall, resulting in a change in shoe-size. Therefore, people with high-arched feet need to re-measure their feet from time to time, in order to buy the correct size and look for extra-cushioned jogging shoes with a flexible, shock-proof, mid-sole.
Those with flat feet, without any arch; are most likely to bend their feet inwards while walking or running. In such a case jogging shoes offering stability or motion-control are best suited. One may also opt for tailor-made, shoe inserts for additional running comfort.
People with normal feet are least prone to jogging injuries and can also choose from a wide variety of shoes.
Types of jogging shoes:
Jogging shoes are largely of three kinds – road shoes, trail shoes and cross running shoes. Road shoes are meant for hard, even terrains. They are light weight and smaller. Trail running shoes are designed to work well on uneven running terrains. They are well-cushioned and offer enhanced stability. Cross running shoes are comfortable on both kinds of terrains.
Tips to choose the best jogging shoes
Your shoes need to fulfill some basic requirements in order to be your most comfortable pair for the run. So, besides keeping shoe size and feet type in mind, here are some additional tips to remember while buying jogging shoes:
- Shoe material – opt for breathable shoe material for jogging, as it prevents over sweating. Nylon mesh on the shoe upper is a good option.
- Sole comfort – Shoes with cushiony in-soles offer flexibility for the run. They provide ample support and comfort while jogging. Slightly elevated or heeled soles add stability. Look for jogging shoes with additional plastic, inserted in the heel area for durability and running comfort. The mid sole of a shoe absorbs most pressure and shock while running. It is vital that your shoes’ mid soles offers proper support, stability and are durable as well.
- Tongue – look for a pair with a well-padded tongue to prevent abrasions, injury or rash from constant rubbing of the top flaps.
- Shoe collar – Jogging mostly affects the heel of the foot. It is therefore important that the jogging shoes you choose have a thick, well padded shoe collar to provide ample support to your heels and ankles as well.
- Comfort – Look for shoes that are flexible and bend at the ball while running. Jogging shoes that offer some breathing room in the toe box are most spacious as they do not press the toes and make running comfortable.
- Buying tips – Did you know that our feet are at their largest in the afternoon, due to heat, prolonged standing or walking? That is the best time to measure your most comfortable shoe size. If you wear any orthotics it is advisable to bring them along while trying shoes. Your best-fitting jogging shoes must be snug and comfortable. Buy a pair in which your heel does not slide while walking or running.
It has been found that people not only enjoy their daily exercise, but are also more likely to continue with it for long if they are comfortable. So keep the above tips and guidelines in mind while buying your pair of jogging shoes, enjoy your run and prevent any un-necessary stress or injuries to your body.