Say Bye To Liver Disorders With Milk Thistle
Traditional medicines have found their way in modern nutrition to enhance the effect of the nutrients consumed and provide maximum health benefits. One such supplement that is highly recommended is milk thistle, which is a herbal medicine that has been used for several years because of its antioxidant properties.
Just like vitamin E capsules and other supplements that you use, you have tablet and capsule forms of milk thistle extracts that are particularly useful in boosting liver function. These extracts are rich in flavonoids like Silymarin, which boost its antioxidant property.
What is Milk Thistle?
Milk Thistle is a type of flowering plant that is very closely related to ragweed and daisy. This plant is native to the Mediterranean region and is commonly known as Holy Thistle and Mary Thistle. The scientific name of this plant is Silybum marianum and is characterized by purple flowers from which the milk thistle extracts are usually derived.
Milk Thistle Components
One of the main components of milk thistle is a flavonoid called silymarin. The best milk thistle supplements contain between 60 to 80% concentration of these flavonoids to give you added health benefits. These flavonoids are known for being antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant in nature.Amla powder is also loaded with flavonoids, antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties too.
Use of Milk Thistle
Traditionally, milk thistle supplements were used to improve the production of breast milk, help cure gallbladder issues, keep the liver protected from snakebites, and even prevent cancer. Today, these supplements are highly recommended for individuals who may be suffering from liver damage due to excessive alcohol consumption or long-term consumption of heavy medication.
When used with vitamin C supplement, or amla powder the antioxidant properties of this supplement are enhanced. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who are physically active as it enhances muscle recovery and even helps prevent any stress to the liver because of added protein consumption.
Proven Health Benefits of Milk Thistle Capsule
There are several milk thistle extract benefits that have made it one of the most popular supplements consumed by bodybuilders and athletes. Since they have been used in traditional medicines over generations, the health benefits of these supplements have been tested and tried as well.
Here are some of the best-known uses of milk thistle supplements:
- It helps protect the liver: Milk thistle is often recommended as an added therapeutic medicine for individuals who suffer from liver damage because of alcohol consumption, hepatitis or other liver-related issues. It is known to reduce inflammation in the liver and reduces further damage to the cells and tissues of the liver.
- It can prevent degenerative brain issues: These extracts are used as a traditional remedy for conditions like Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. This is because of silymarin which is a very potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound. Studies have shown that these flavonoids found in milk thistle extracts can prevent any damage to the brain cell by neutralizing free radicals. They also reduce the formation of protein clusters known as amyloid plaques, which cause issues in the transmission of nerve signals.
- It protects the bones: One of the most common diseases related to the bones is osteoporosis. It causes the bones to become fragile and weak, leading to fractures even with the slightest trauma. For women, especially, milk thistle capsule is highly recommended after menopause to prevent this condition. Studies have shown that milk thistle enhances the utilization of minerals like calcium and phosphorus to make the bones stronger and prevent this condition.
- It is a potential cure for cancer: The antioxidant effects of silymarin can also prevent the growth and development of cancerous cells in the body. There are several studies to show that the response to chemotherapy for certain types of cancers is improved with the consumption of milk thistle capsule supplements. It also reduces the side effects caused by these cancer treatments. Extensive research has proved that milk thistle can be a potential therapeutic option to prevent cancer.
- It enhances the production of breast milk: As mentioned before, milk thistle has long been used as a traditional remedy to enhance the production of milk in lactating mothers. A study conducted recently showed that with just 420mg of milk thistle consumed for a period of 63 days was able to enhance the production of milk by almost 64% in lactating mothers.
- It keeps the skin clear: Ance, which is a type of skin condition caused by skin inflammation, leaves scars and marks behind. This skin condition is not only painful but is a cause for concern for many individuals. One of the main causes of acne is oxidative stress caused by pollution and other environmental factors. The antioxidant effect of milk thistle helps neutralize the free radicals and also prevents toxin build-up in the body which is a primary cause of acne. One study showed that the lesions caused by acne were reduced by 53% in individuals who consumed 250mg of silymarin each day for a period of 8 weeks.
- It helps regulate blood sugar levels: Milk thistle capsule is also used as complementary medicine for individuals who are undergoing treatment for Type 2 diabetes. Milk thistle functions like most diabetic medicines and helps reduce the blood sugar levels in order to manage this condition. This is made possible by improving insulin sensitivity in the body. A significant reduction was noticed in the blood sugar levels of individuals who consumed milk thistle supplements as part of their daily diet. In addition to this, the anti-inflammatory properties and the antioxidant action of the flavonoids found in milk thistle are extremely useful in preventing conditions like kidney disease that are often linked to diabetes.
Despite the several health benefits, this supplement must be consumed only after consulting a physician.
Side Effects of Milk Thistle Capsules
Usually, milk thistle extract is safe to use when taken in recommended doses. However, in some people, it may cause intestinal gas, diarrhea, fullness, nausea, headache, and loss of appetite.
- Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding should avoid using this supplement.
- Do not give this supplement to children below 2 years of age.
- Certain chemicals in the supplement can lower the blood sugar level in people with diabetes so don't take milk thistle supplement unless your doctor recommends you.
- People with hormone-sensitive conditions like uterine cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or endometriosis should not use milk thistle extract.
Top Milk Thistle Capsule Supplement Brands
Here are some of the safest and best milk thistle supplements available:
HealthKart Milk Thistle Gold with Dandelion, Kutki, Amla, Kasni, Punarnava and Licorice Extracts
- This is one of the most potent formulas of milk thistle online.
- Every serving comes with 600 mg of milk thistle extracts which are extremely beneficial in improving liver health and helping your liver recover from any tissue damage.
- This HealthKart supplement comes with the added benefits of amla, kutki, dandelion, silymarin, punarvana and licorice extracts that act as powerful antioxidants, helping your body detoxify.
- With 80% Silymarin, HealthKart Milk Thistle Gold with Dandelion, kutki, amla powder, kasni, punarnava and licorice extracts is extremely bioavailable, giving you enhanced benefits.
MuscleBlaze Milk Thistle
- MuscleBlaze Milk Thistle gives you 600 mg of Milk Thistle extracts in each serving.
- This is a very important supplement for those who are consuming a diet that is rich in proteins as the liver is constantly under a lot of stress.
- MuscleBlaze Milk Thistle contains the most potent form of this supplement and gives you added milk thistle benefits.
- It is ideal to consume with a low-calorie diet because it is low in sugar and fat but also contains 0.03 g of proteins.
Now Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract
- Now Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract capsules contain 300 mg of Milk Thistle Extracts that are derived from the fruits and seeds of this traditional medicinal plant.
- It has 80% Silymarin flavonoids that are also extremely potent antioxidants.
- The combined action of these flavonoids and the milk thistle extracts help remove any toxins from the liver improving overall liver health.
- Now Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract is also highly recommended to help the liver recover from any stress or damage, particularly related to excessive alcohol consumption.
- Silymarin Milk Thistle (400 mg) also contains 700 mg of turmeric root extracts that enhance its effect with their anti-inflammatory action.
Pure Nutrition Detox Liver Milk Thistle Ultra
- The primary function of Pure Nutrition Detox Liver Milk Thistle Ultra is to improve the transportation of bile from the liver. This allows better digestion and also keeps your liver disease-free,
- The milk thistle flavonoids such as Silymarin, which is highly concentrated in this supplement have a powerful antioxidant action which helps flush toxins out effectively, thereby reducing any stress to your liver.
- With Pure Nutrition Detox Liver Milk Thistle Ultra, you also have the advantage of Vitamin C which adds to the antioxidant action.
- In addition to improving liver function, this supplement also helps keep you skin healthy and free from issues like acne and fine lines.
- The production of glutathione is improved with Pure Nutrition Detox Liver Milk Thistle Ultra to enhance fat metabolism.
Natures Velvet Milk Thistle Extract
- Natures Velvet Milk Thistle Extract contains 300 mg of this powerful natural antioxidant.
- This supplement by Nature’s Velvet comes with a high level of silymarin with a concentration of up to 80%, which gives you the best antioxidant action.
- This herbal supplement also contains vitamins belonging to the B-Complex group to help improve several metabolic functions and give you the best health benefits.
- Natures Velvet Milk Thistle Extract enhances the absorption and assimilation of different nutrients that you consume through the day for added health benefits.
- This is one of the most beneficial supplements for the sports community as it helps improve immunity for better performance.
- With Natures Velvet Milk Thistle Extract, you have the advantage of the best ingredients that are GMP compliant. It is also gluten-free and allergen-free, making it one of the best supplements available.
Healthvit Silymarin Milk Thistle
- Healthvit Silymarin Milk Thistle contains 400 mg of milk thistle extracts in each capsule to give you a powerful liver health supplement.
- It contains a standard concentration of 60% of silymarin flavonoids. This boosts the antioxidant property, allowing you to get rid of toxins that stress the liver more.
- It is also useful in helping the liver recover from any tissue damage or stress caused by your lifestyle and excessive alcohol consumption.
- Healthvit Silymarin Milk Thistle does not contain any added flavors, colors or preservatives and is completely free from chemical solvents, which makes it very safe to consume.
HealthAid Milk Thistle Extract
- HealthAid Milk Thistle Extract comes with 500 mg of milk thistle extracts to give you various health benefits.
- It is one of the most potent antioxidants that help boost liver health and keeps it protected from any damage.
- HealthAid Milk Thistle Extract is even recommended for individuals who consume excessive alcohol or have been under strong medication for a long period of time, causing tremendous stress to the liver.
- It is a great supplement for active individuals as it helps improve the assimilation of proteins; fats and carbohydrates to give you enhanced results and health benefits.
- For individuals who have a high protein diet, this is a very beneficial supplement as it improves liver function and prevents any stress.
- HealthAid Milk Thistle Extract enhances metabolism and also helps remove any metabolic waste effectively. This gives you added benefits like better skin health, improved immune response, and even enhanced fat metabolism.
Apart from these brands some of the other best milk thistle available in a market are Nutrilite milk thistle, Nutrilite milk thistle plus, Amway milk thistle plus, and TrueBasics Liver Detox with Silybin Milk Thistle Extract. They are specially formulated to help with liver issues. And also provide cardiovascular benefits by lowering cholesterol levels.
Also, whether you want to buy different packaging like milk thistle 250mg, milk thistle 60 capsules, milk thistle extract 500mg,or milk thistle 600mg, you can get them at the best possible price only at HealthKart.
Suggested Doses of Milk Thistle Supplement
420 milligrams per day is considered the safe dosage of milk thistle. However, it is always better to consult a doctor to understand how much milk thistle is required by your body.
Milk Thistle Capsule Price List in India - Healthkart
|Milk Thistle Capsule Products||Price||Customer Avg Rating (on a scale of 5)|
|TrueBasics Liver Detox with Silybin Milk Thistle Extract, 90 tablet(s)||Rs. 1478||4.7|
|Himalayan Organics Milk Thistle 800mg Serve, 120 capsules||Rs. 749||3.8|
|HealthKart Milk Thistle, 60 capsules||Rs. 699||5.0|
|MuscleBlaze Milk Thistle, 60 capsules||Rs. 549||4.6|
|HealthKart HK Vitals Milk Thistle Extract 600mg, 120 capsules||Rs. 689||4.4|
|Asitis Nutrition Silymarin Milk Thistle 400mg, 60 capsules||Rs. 699||Be the first to review|
|GNC Milk Thistle 250 mg, 90 capsules||Rs. 1112||4.8|
|Himalayan Organics Plant Based Liver Support with Milk Thistle, 60 capsules||Rs. 599||Be the first to review|
|INLIFE Milk Thistle, 60 veggie capsule(s)||Rs. 495||5.0|
|Swisse Ultiboost Liver Detox, 60 tablet(s)||Rs. 867||Be the first to review|