Enzymes are protein molecules that are involved in biochemical reactions as catalysts but are not used in the reactions. These molecules require a mineral and a nonprotein organic molecule, known as coenzyme, for its proper functioning. Coenzyme Q10 is one such coenzyme. It was in 1957 that CoQ10 was first isolated by Dr. Frederick Crane. CoQ10 has a long history for its cardiovascular benefits. Since years, Coenzyme Q10 was known for its importance as a powerful antioxidant and free radical scavenger. It was also used to treat many chronic illnesses, especially heart disease. The usefulness of CoQ10 increased after it was noticed that when a chronic disease occurs CoQ10 tends to get deficient. But before knowing the benefits of CoQ10 it is important to known how it works.
How C0Q10 works?
Known as vitamin Q10, ubiquinone, or ubidecarenone, CoQ10 is an antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the body functions. It is an enzyme that is found in the mitochondria of your cells and helps convert the food you consume into absorbable nutrients. These nutrients are further utilized for energy production in the body cells. This potent antioxidant is present in all the cells of the body. However, it is found in high concentration in the organs, namely your heart, liver and kidneys that require more amount of energy for proper functioning. Being a potent antioxidant, CoQ10 protects body cells and mitochondria from the damaging effects of free radicals. Although the body is able to get CoQ10 from the raw materials in food, the quantity is sometimes not enough for optimal body functioning. Here, CoQ10 come into the picture.
Benefits of CoQ10
- Beneficial in heart failure: Low level of CoQ10 can lead to heart failure and various other heart diseases.
- Maintains healthy blood pressure level: Intake of CoQ10 helps maintain healthy blood pressure level in the body, thus supporting your cardiovascular health.
- Reduces ageing: Possessing antioxidant properties, Coenzyme Q10 prevents ageing, and improves skin roughness and fine wrinkles. This keeps your skin healthy and provides you with a young look.
- Aids in age: related macular degeneration: Macular degeneration is an eye condition that can lead to loss of vision in older men. CoQ10 supplements keeps your eyes protected from such disorders ensuring a healthy vision.
- Relieves inflammation: Enriched with antiinflammatory properties, CoQ10 reduces skin inflammation and protects your skin from ultraviolet radiation. This reduces the risk of premature ageing related to sun exposure.
- Reduces the risk of cancer: Low levels of CoQ10 in the body can lead to cancer, especially breast cancer. Consuming CoQ10 with other medications might reduce the risk of cancer.
- Enhances exercise performance: Supplementing with Coenzyme Q10 improves the energy level of the body helping you to perform high intensity exercises with ease
- Boosts immunity of body: Various researches have shown that CoQ10 maintains the functions of immune system, thus enhancing the natural defence system of your body.
- Reduces high cholesterol level: Consuming CoQ10 aids in lowering high cholesterol level to maintain a normal cholesterol level in body.
- Cures kidney failure: CoQ10 benefits in treating kidney ensuring healthy kidney functions.
- Mitochondrial diseases: Mitochondria are energycreating components found in every cell in the body. CoQ10 reduces the risk of mitochondrial diseases, including kearns-Sayre syndrome that can cause drooping eyelids and vision problems.
- Helps in losing weight: CoQ10 supplements help in promoting weight loss in obese people to help them achieve a healthy body weight.
Apart from the above benefits, CoQ10 offers various other health benefits as well. To help you attain these benefits CoQ10 is available in various easy to consume forms that include CoQ10 capsules, tablets and softgels. Add a dose of these supplements to your daily diet to promote overall wellness.