Known as the "mother of of all antioxidants", Glutathione is a molecule your body needs to stay healthy and prevent diseases. This molecule was discovered by DeReyPailhade in 1888. But it was only 30 years later that Glutathione's role as an antioxidant and detoxifier was found. Glutathione is highly beneficial to boost metabolism, immune response and overall health. It helps in multiplication of lymphocytes, the cells that are essential for the development of effective immune responses. Not only metabolism and immunity, Glutathione offers various other benefits as well. But before knowing the benefits, it is important to know what Glutathione is and how it works.
What is Glutathione?
Also called L Glutathione, L Gammaglutamyl, L Cysteinylglycine or GSH, Glutathione is a tripeptide naturally occurring in the body. Glutathione molecule occurs in all the body cells and is made up of three amino acids: cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid. Glutathione is produced naturally in your liver, but the level of Glutathione gets depleted due to toxins occurring because of poor diet, pollution, medication, stress, trauma, ageing, infection and radiation. It further causes liver damage and may interrupt the detoxification process. It also causes cell disintegration from oxidative stress and free radicals. To overcome such problems you need to consume Glutathione through diet or supplements.
How Glutathione works?
Glutathione contains a chemical group known as sulfur (SH). Sulfur is a sticky, smelly molecule, which attracts all the bad things in your body, including free radicals and toxins, like mercury and other heavy metals. Usually, your body recycles glutathione but when the toxic load increases you need to enhance the glutathione level through external sources. Being the master detoxifier and maestro of the immune system, Glutathione is a must to ensure healthy living.
Health Benefits of Glutathione
- Helps the body fight free radicals: Being an effective antioxidant, Glutathione helps in eliminating free radicals and toxins from the body, thus reducing the risk of cell damage.
- Helps maintain liver functions: Consuming glutathione enhances the level of glutathione in your body that further improves the detoxification of liver and also reduces the risk of liver related disorders.
- Improves immune health: The antioxidant properties of Glutathione helps in maintaining your immune health to ensure proper immune response. This keeps you healthy, while aiding your body fight diseases easily.
- Boosts metabolism of the body: Intake of Glutathione improves the metabolic processes of your body and enhances energy production. It ensures the proper functioning of your body to prevent diseases.
- Ensures a healthy skin: By keeping the body cells healthy and reducing cell disintegration, Glutathione keeps your skin healthy and reduces the risk of ageing.
- Protects skin from UV rays: The UV rays are very harmful as they penetrate deep into the skin and causes skin ageing by damaging collagen fibre. Glutathione supplements possess antioxidant properties that protect the collagen fibre and help maintain the elasticity of the skin.
- Promotes healthy ageing: By enhancing the immunity and metabolism of your body, Glutathione supports healthy ageing and keeps you disease free.
- Enhances heart health: Various researches have shown that low level of Glutathione in the body increases the risk of heart diseases, especially heart attack. Glutathione supplements maintain a healthy cholesterol level that further enhances your heart health.
- Beneficial in Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases: Oxidative stress and free radicals causes deterioration of the brain tissue. Possessing antioxidant properties, Glutathione is beneficial for individuals who suffer from damaged brain tissue due to Parkinson’s disease. Increased level of Glutathione in the body can also help in preventing memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduces joint pain: Natural ageing process causes joint pain and other joint problems. Glutathione supplements aids in reducing joint pain and keeps your joints healthy.
Despite being a naturally occurring molecule, which is found in every cell of the body, Glutathione level decreases with age. As a powerful antioxidant, Glutathione can provide relief against various illnesses. For your convenience, Glutathione is available in easy to consume forms, such as Glutathione capsules, tablets and softgels.