The dropping temperature is really enjoyable and we are too excited to pull out our warm clothing and plan for a vacation in the snowy regions of the world. However, with this season comes a lot of problems and the most commonly faced issue is backache. People from all around the world keep on complaining about back pain during this chilly winter and wish to know how to get quick relief from it. Well! In this article we will be helping you to get rid of back pain during winter by sharing some easy remedies.
So, are you ready? Then let’s get started:
- Mattress and sleeping posture
Have you woken up with a sore neck or pain in your lower back? Back pain and muscle pain are the sore truth during this chilled weather. Your sleeping posture and the mattress that you are using can be a big reason for lower back pain. A good sleep and comfy sleep means using the right type of mattress. A faulty mattress can not only lead to back pain but can also disturb your sleep. An incomplete sleep will definitely make you cranky all the time and you won’t be able to focus on your daily chores. A poor sleeping position can put unnecessary pressure on your neck, hips and back that can cause severe pain. If you want to get back pain relief then getting a memory foam mattress and sleeping will be the best thing to do.
- Exercise for back pain
There are a lot of exercises that can help to relieve back muscle pain and make your body fit. Here are some of the exercise that you can do to get rid of pain:
Bridges can work on the large muscles of your buttocks, gluteus maximus. This part of muscle is engaged more while moving the hips, especially while doing squats. Keeping your gluteus maximus strong by doing bridges regularly can help to relieve lower back pain. You can do 3 sets of 15 repetitions daily.
- Knee-to-chest stretches
Knee-to-chest stretches are another best exercise that can help to relieve pain in the back. Regular stretching can help to elongate your lower back, relieving tension and pain. You can do 2 to 3 repetitions of this exercise twice a day to get best results.
- Surya Namaskar
Gaining excessive weight can be the cause of back pain and therefore it is important for you to keep a check on your weight. Surya Namaskar is one of the best forms of yogasana that can help in reducing your extra weight as it is a full body exercise. This, in turn, will not allow the winter to cause back pain or shoulder pain.
- Eat the right foods and supplements
You might be drooling over a hot cup of ginger tea with some hot onion fritters or ghee smeared parathas during this winter. However, you can enjoy these foods but also keep a watch on your calorie count. These oily foods can cause inflammations and that can lead to muscle pain/ back pain, etc. Have balanced foods so that you get all the vitamins and minerals that you need to stay healthy. Your meals should include green vegetables, nuts, fruits, protein rich-foods, etc.
Eating the right type of foods is very important so that your body gets all the nutrients that it news to stay healthy. Foods and supplements that are the best source of omega3, calcium, vitamin D, etc. can help in reducing cold weather back pain.
- Dress warmly
Winter is no doubt a time when you can pull out your favorite overcoat and leather boots to look no lesser than a diva. Well! If you are doing so, then you are doing it in the right way. Keeping yourself warm is the best thing during this winter. Not wearing enough warm clothes can be the biggest reason that can cause lower back pain in winter. You should wear layers of warm clothes before stepping out of your house as this can also avoid sciatica.
Some other back pain remedies that you can follow are:
- Stop smoking as it can lead to back pain by restricting the flow of nutrients to your spinal discs.
- You must pay attention to your posture especially when you are working try to sit with your back straight and get low-back support. This is the best remedy for back pain due to cold weather. You must keep your knees a bit higher by propping a stool underneath your feet while sitting.
- Be careful when you are lifting any object from the floor. A wrong posture while lifting objects is the other main reason for back pain in winter. You shouldn’t bend from your waist and try to bend using your knees.
- There are a lot of home remedies for back pain reduction and the best among them is using a hot water bag and oil massage.
- Wear proper shoes and try to avoid heels during winter.
- You can consult a doctor and get the proper medications for back pain if you do not get any solution even after following home remedies and doing exercise daily. You can also consult a physiotherapist and get a proper workout regime that can help you deal with back pain.
We have tried to shed light on almost all the causes and remedies that can help you stay fit and avoid back pain during this chilly weather. Follow these simple and easy steps to get relief from winter back pain.