Hair loss is one of the most common health conditions by which people are affected. There are several reasons why this happens. It could be anything from hormonal changes and genetic markers to allergic reactions to prescription medications. While it is common to lose up to 100 strands of hair a day on average, experiencing severe hair is definitely concerning.
Several men experience hair loss in patterns. The most common problem with hair fall for men is that there is not a fixed indicator for it. So while some men may experience gradual thinning of hair before hair loss, others may deal with the sudden loss of hair and bald spots on their head.
Potentially speaking, this could be an indicator of several underlying diseases, most of which are due to a nutritional deficiency. Most men with thin hair have been reported to be suffering from health complications such as malfunctioning thyroid glands, osteoporosis, or anemia. If you are someone who is suffering from hair loss or wants to prevent contracting the condition, there are a few lifestyle changes that you can adopt.
Here are ten ways to stop hair loss in men:
#1 Following A Balanced Diet
One of the most important things to do in order to avoid experiencing hair loss is to make sure that you are getting the proper nutrition for your hair. The easiest way to do that is to follow a well-balanced diet. Make sure that you consume a large variety of natural food sources such as whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables. It is also important that you maintain the right balance between consuming fats, carbs, and lean proteins.
Here are a few natural foods that you can include in your diet to have healthy hair:
- Iron: Foods such as green leafy vegetables, iron-fortified grains, lean beef help with circulating blood within the brain and transporting oxygen to your hair roots.
This helps in strengthening your hair follicles and preventing hair loss.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Foods like salmon, mackerel, tuna, flax seeds help in reversing hair damage and strengthening your roots.
- Protein: You can also consume high-protein foods like eggs, lean meats, and seafood to help boost keratin. Consuming adequate protein is also a major part of skincare as it can help boost your collagen and biotin levels. This helps with strengthening your skin barrier function and preventing complications such as acne and inflammation.
#2 Consuming Biotin Supplements
Biotin is one of the most important nutritional supplements required for maintaining your hair. Not only does it help with your skin’s elasticity, it also develops your hair follicles and prevents hair loss. Our bodies are dependent on this supplement to promote proper hair growth. This is why biotin is used in several men’s hair loss treatments.
While it may not be that common, there have been cases of biotin deficiency that have been linked to hair loss. This can happen when the food that we consume does not have enough biotin. The smart thing to do here is to begin supplementing your diet with biotin supplements such as HealthKart Biotin.
Additionally, biotin is also a major component of nutrition for nails as well, since it forms the nail beds on our fingers.
#3 Reduce stress
One of the most common things experienced by balding men was that they were going through a lot of stress in their lives. Here are three common types of hair loss caused due to stress:
- Telogen Effluvium: In the case of telogen effluvium, people who undergo a lot of stress often experience a resting phase of sorts in their hair follicles. This can cause your hair to become weakened and fall out while washing or combing.
- Trichotillomania: There are several coping mechanisms that your body employs to deal with stress. Trichotillomania is one such mechanism where a person has the urge to pull out hair from your scalp, eyebrows, etc. This makes it easier for people to deal with intrusive thoughts or negative feelings that may arise from stress, tension, boredom, loneliness, or frustration.
- Alopecia Areata: Stress-inducing hormones such as cortisol often end up causing a chemical imbalance in your body. This interrupts several essential processes such as absorption and utilisation of nutrition. As a result, your body may feel weakened and have a decreased functioning of the immune system. This can cause severe hair loss, especially for men who are already suffering from pattern baldness.
This is why it is important to reduce, if not eliminate any stress that you may face in life. There are simple changes that you can adapt to do so, such as:
- regular exercise
- listening to music
- doing yoga
#4 Using Essential Oils
Massaging your scalp every now and then can do wonders for your blood circulation. Not only does this stimulate your hair follicles, but it also helps in eliminating toxins from your body and putting you in a relaxed state of mind. There are several essential oils that you can involve in this process to get the best of it. Peppermint oil can boost hair growth, while rosemary aids oxygen and blood circulation.
Alternatively, you can also use edible oils such as coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil for your hair. They help strengthen your hair and also help you retain a shiny glowing appearance.
#5 Learn To Be Gentle
A lot of us end up being too harsh on our hair by doing things like overbrushing, constant tugging, or using harmful products. Left unchecked, these little activities can cause permanent damage to our hair and lead to severe hair loss. A good place to start would be to avoid using hot oil treatments or hot curling irons.
Excessive heat actively kills off your hair cells and halts the stimulation of biotin. You should also be wary of procedures such as hair bleaching and perm treatments as they use a lot of damaging chemicals.
You can also invest in sulphur and paraben-free chemicals to avoid hair fall for men. Instead, opt for natural ingredients such as charcoal and shikakai nuts which help strengthen your hair and give it a natural lustre.
#6 Keep Yourself Hydrated
Nearly twenty-five percent of our hair shaft is made up of water. Not consuming enough water can make these hair shifts dry up and lead to hair loss. Consume a minimum of three litres of water every day for optimal hair health. It is also important that you steer clear of hard water since it contains salts that can cause severe hair loss.
#7 Physical Activity
Getting in a proper workout can help improve the flow of blood and oxygen throughout the body. This is important for stimulating the hair follicles which in turn stimulate hair growth. Take a few minutes out of your schedule every day and indulge in simple activities such as a walk or simply going up the stairs. This can help balance your stress levels and prevent hair fall.
#8 Keep Your Head Sweat Free
While exercising does have a huge role to play in improving hair condition, sweat has the exact opposite effect. Exercising too much or being exposed to heat can cause a lot of sweating which clogs up all your hair pores. This can cause severe dirt and sweat to build up in your scalp and cause a lot of hair loss. Invest in natural shampoos that contain aloe vera to thoroughly clean your hair and get rid of any impurities.
#9 Reduce Alcoholic Beverages
Consuming a lot of alcohol has been reported to cause hair loss since it leads to nutritional deficiencies and hormonal imbalances. As a result, there is little to no nutritional flow to your hair, causing it to be weakened. Gradually eliminate or at least cut down on the alcohol intake to see a significant change in your hair health.
#10 Schedule appointments with doctors regularly
While there are several health tips and lifestyle changes that you can adopt to avoid hair fall for men, scheduling an appointment with your doctor will do you the most good. Having your hair situation diagnosed at the earliest possible stage can help you avoid a lot of unwanted health complications.
Visit www.healthkart.com to discover a wide range of nutritional supplements and infographics on how to keep your hair healthy and safe.