A wholesome salad can definitely make up for your one time meal, only if you know the right ingredients for a flavorful mix of fruits and veggies that provide nutrition required for good health.
In India, salads are often considered to be a side portion with our two primary meals, i.e. lunch and dinner. But, do you know that salad itself can make for a complete meal and can meet your nutritional requirement at the same time, without leaving you feel hungry?
Well, yes salad is a great meal replacement if you are on healthy eating or willing to shed some weight. A healthy meal, salad is all about flavors, freshness and ingredients you to add. You can either keep your salad bland by adding only boiled veggies with a pinch of salt, or make it a delight with a tinge of lemon, vinegar and other flavors that will appease your taste buds to the core.
To help you hone your culinary skills in salad making, here we bring you five easy and quick healthy salad recipes that can be made in a jiffy and are full of exotic flavors, that will definitely leave you asking for more.
1. BBQ Chicken Salad
Being on weight loss program doesn’t mean that you will punish your taste buds. Try this easy to make home style BBQ chicken salad while sticking to your weight loss diet. Surely, this is one of the most easy to make salad recipes that you will ever get to know, that to without making any compromise on the taste quotient.
Image Source: www.damndelicious.net
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless thin-sliced chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, drained
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup tortilla strips
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Season sliced chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Add season chicken to skillet and cook, flipping from both sides until cooked through
- Let the cooked chicken slices cool before you cut them in bite sized slices
- For assembling the salad, place lettuce in a large bowl, top it with chicken, tomatoes, corns, beans, onion and cheese.
- Pour Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce on top of the salad and gently toss
- Top with tortilla strips and serve immediately
Asian Style Cobb Salad
Can salad replace your meal? Many people often ask this question and the answer to this is, yes! Of course salads can replace your meal if your ensuring that its full of protein and other nutrients required by your body. If you are making a salad full of veggies, then your problem is almost solved. This simple salads recipe will not only satiate your hunger but will also appease your taste buds, that too without being harsh on your health.
Image Source: www.autostraddle.com
- 5 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 orange
- 1/3 cup shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup grated carrots
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
For the sesame vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- For vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl and keep them aside.
- For assembling the salad, place lettuce in a large bowl and top with arranged rows of oranges, chicken, carrots, eggs, avocado and green onion.
- Serve immediately with sesame vinaigrette
Quinoa Fruit Salad
This protein packed healthy summer salad recipe is full of fresh, seasonal fruit flavors that include mango and strawberries along with refreshing min and tart vinaigrette to balance it between sweet and tangy. This incredibly cool and nutritious salad is all you need to beat this summer heat.
Image Source: www.twopeasandtheirpod.com
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Chopped mint leaves, for garnish
For Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, apple cider vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients, quinoa, mango, strawberries, pine nuts and blueberries.
- Stir in lemon vinaigrette.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately
Nutty Apple Salad
Combine health, weight management and goodness of crunchy green apples in this quick salad recipe. No need of fancy ingredients and dressings, just a few things from your kitchen and your salad meal is ready to relish on when you are hungry.
Image Source: www.wearenotmartha.com
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews
- 1 sliced green apple
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Put greens, cashews and green apple in a bowl and pour apple cider vinegar over it. Toss gently and your salad is ready to serve.
This Indian salad recipe is loaded with the healthy antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, and is amazingly delicious. If you are looking for salad recipes for weight loss, then this should definitely make to your diet chart as it provides balanced nutrition with its veggie combination.
Image Source: www.blogspot.com
- 1/3 cup crumbled cheese
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 250 gms of broccoli crowns (about 3 cups)
- 500gms of chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
Take a bowl and mix crumbled cheese with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and pepper. Add broccoli, bell pepper and chickpeas, mix all the ingredients well.
Serve it at either room temperature or chilled
So, out of these which one are you going to try out over the weekend?