Hair fall is one of the most common health complications experienced by people worldwide. This can be due to a number of hair fall reasons such as genetics, stress, bad medications, etc. Common symptoms of this condition include hair thinning men, receding hairlines, sudden appearance of bald and patchy spots on the centre of the head. This condition is especially exaggerated in the case of men, and manifests itself in the form of male pattern baldness, wherein hair loss men is gradually increased over the years.
5 hair fall reasons in male & its affects
One of the most common hair fall reason among males is the gene factor. Alopecia areata, a condition characterised by the significant hair thinning men around the crown of the head and a receding hairline, has been said to be caused by the hereditary transmission. This condition is usually triggered by a change in the hormones of our body. Certain shifts and imbalances in the hormones can lead to conditions such as both male and female pattern baldness. This hair fall reason is primarily due to an increased sensitivity of the hair towards androges. In conditions like these, the hair shaft begins to decrease in size until it becomes so small that there ends up being a significant hair loss men.
This may also reach to a point wherein the hair follicles are damaged beyond repair and cannot grow hair anymore. However, there are certain treatments to stop hair thinning men such as the topical application of rogaine and propecia which are useful for lowering dht levels and stimulating the function of hair follicles.
Surgical alternatives include transplantation of follicular units from a different part of the body. Alternatively, you can also experiment with platelet rich plasma injections which are designed to reverse the effects of hair loss men. These injections stimulate the growth of hair by increasing the time period of the anagen phase of hair growth.
2. Diet & Nutrition
One of the hair fall reason in men is that they do not consume the right kind of nutrition that they require in order to stimulate the growth of hair. Failing to meet the recommended daily allowance of essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals can cause the body to enter into survival mode.
Staying in such a condition for long periods of time can cause your body to divert all of its nutrition towards maintaining and sustaining essential body functions. Since hair growth does not fall into that category, there is a complete cut off of nutrition and a significant loss of blood flow to the hair follicles.
The best way to fix this hair fall reason would be to consume a healthy balanced diet that consists of nutrients such as zinc, iron, protein, vitamin B and folates. It is also a good idea to keep a check on your biotin levels since they play a huge role in hair follicle growth. In case you feel like you are missing out on any of these nutrients, make sure to substitute your food with nutritional supplements such as multivitamins. However, make it a point to consult your medical health practitioner before substituting your diet with any supplements.
3. Medical Conditions
There are also other hair fall reasons such as certain medical conditions that can interfere with the growth of your hair. While these may not be permanent, they can end up causing a significant amount of damage , even if it is for a short while. Here are some of the hair fall reasons in male based on medical conditions:
- Alopecia Areata: This is one of the most common medical hair fall reasons in male, and is caused due to the sudden onset of inflammation affecting the hair follicles in your body. The condition is primarily characterised by demarcated patches of hair loss that take on the appearance of a small coin-sized patch. The range of effect for this condition can be anywhere from just an area on the scalp to the whole body. While it may not have any specific cures, you can take steps such as immunosuppressive therapies and cortical steroids which can help relieve these conditions.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Another hair fall reasons in male includes the onset of hashimoto’s thyroiditis, a condition in which the immune system affects the functioning of the thyroid gland. By doing so, our body experiences a significant imbalance in the secretion of several hormones, which can end up interfering with the stimulation of the hair follicles present in our scalp. This condition can also develop as a result of thyroid replacement therapy.
- Lupus: Another hair fall reason in males includes the development of lupus, a condition in which the immune system malfunctions and the antibodies in our body begin to attack the hair follicles, causing a gradual loss of hair in males. The hair fall is only reversible until the point of development of scarring on the skin tissue, in which case the hair loss will become permanent.
One of the main reason for hair fall includes the consumption of certain medications, drugs, and steroids, that can cause side effects that interfere with the hair follicles. Common medications include anti cholesterol drugs, anticoagulants, drugs to lower blood pressure, application of topical steroids to lower the symptoms of acne. Most of these medications end up interfering with the telogen and anogen phases, and manifests in the following conditions:
- Telogen Effluvium: Telogen effluvium men is a condition wherein the hair is prematurely forced by the medications to enter telogen phase due to which it can experience premature shedding. Hair loss in this condition can manifest after weeks of being exposed to medication.
- Anagen Effluvium: This condition mostly manifests as a result of exposure to radiation during medical procedures such as chemotherapy. It is significantly faster to manifest as compared to telogen effluvium men and is more severe.
Hair fall can also be caused as a result of immense mental or physical trauma. This can be due to multiple factors such as a hectic work environment or increased stress of lifestyle. Hair loss in such cases is very temporary and is usually fixed by taking steps to ensure a a healthier lifestyle.
It is perfectly normal for people to lose up to a hundred strands of hair every day. In case you notice an unusual loss of hair that exceeds this amount, make sure to consult with a medical health practitioner. Understanding the hair fall reason can help you assess your condition and take preliminary steps that can help you deal with it.