Maintaining menstrual hygiene can be challenging for many girls and women in developing countries with no proper access to facilities or information. Moreover, we are all aware of India’s traditional cultures that make it a taboo that can’t be discussed and talked about just like Voldemort in Harry Potter.
Do you know poor menstrual hygiene or feminine hygiene is one of the major causes of diseases in women? This is all due to the limited access to menstrual hygiene products and bad sanitation infrastructure.
Here are some of the menstrual hygiene tips that every girl and woman should follow.
- When you are on your period, make sure to take a shower at least once a day, it is an important part of female hygiene. During menstruation, the blood enters the tiny spaces in your vagina, and you should always wash that excess blood with the help of water. Doing this will not only remove the bad odour from your vaginal region but also protect your genitals from bad bacterias.
- If you use sanitary pads or tampons, make sure to change it often to prevent any infections. Change your pad at least after 4 hours.
- Women with sensitive skin should opt for reusable sanitary pads, using a pad with plastic lining can lead to itchiness, rashes, and boils. Also, remember to clean your reusable pad thoroughly after every use so that there are no infection-causing germs left. And don’t use them again after the said number of uses.
- Another important tip is to use separate underwears for your period. If stained, wash it properly immediately and don’t forget to disinfect it. It is not hygienic to wear stained underwear for long. Keep an extra pair of underwear when going out, you might need it. And use clean and comfortable cotton knickers instead of that tight underwear or thongs.
- The vagina has its cleaning mechanism that works fine and keeps the good and bad bacteria balanced. Avoid using soap on it as it will kill the good bacteria of the vagina, which can lead to infection. While menstruating, use warm water to clean it and use your hands in the motion from front to back (vagina to anus). After intimate wash keep the area between your legs dry by using antiseptic powder.
- After changing your pad, menstrual cup or tampon, wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Avoid pairing cloth with sanitary napkins or tampons with another pad as it can lead to infection and rashes. So, stick to only one thing for good vaginal hygiene.
- Disposing off your pads and tampons properly is a crucial step. Wrap them properly, and then throw them in the dustbin. Do not flush them as it will block the toilet and cause it overflow, spreading the bacteria all over it.
- During your periods, wear comfortable, loose, cotton cloth rather than tight-fitting clothing. This will ensure good airflow around your sensitive areas and make you feel good.
- There are so many feminine hygiene products or the best intimate wash for womens available in the market. Don’t just use them mindlessly. Just because a certain vaginal cleaning wipes worked for your friend doesn’t mean it will work for you too. Do your research first.
You will find so many articles on intimate wash for women, feminine hygiene wash, women hygiene, personal hygiene for women, women health and hygiene, intimate hygiene for women, and much more, just keep yourself updated about these as it will help you to maintain hygiene and keep you healthy in the long run.
So, these were some of the tips to maintain proper menstrual hygiene. Please take care of your health, mind, body, and spirit during menstruation.