Stress is a common issue in today’s fast-paced world. It can happen due to so many reasons – work pressure, personal issues and more. But there is a stress which happens because of the deficiency of antioxidants in our body. It’s called oxidative stress, and it can cause other chronic diseases. Thus, it’s crucial to maintain the antioxidant levels in our body.
Whey protein is an ingredient that can help to increase the natural antioxidants in the human body, and it plays a crucial role in fighting oxidative stress. So, read on to know the symptoms and causes of oxidative stress and how whey protein can play a part here.
Understanding Oxidative Stress Meaning
Oxidative stress happens due to an imbalance between oxidants and antioxidants. When the production of ROS (reactive oxygen species) increases than the antioxidant defence, then this issue occurs. ROS are oxygen-based chemicals that are highly reactive in nature and create several toxic elements, such as peroxynitrite, in the body.
Now, regular oxidative stress is manageable by the body’s self-defence capability. But when the level increases, it leads to several fatal diseases like cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, atherosclerosis, liver problems, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Other causes of oxidative stress include external factors such as unhealthy diets, pollution and UV radiation.
Fatigue, headaches, memory problems, muscle weakness, and increased susceptibility to infections are common oxidative stress symptoms, indicating cellular damage from excessive free radicals.
Therefore, finding effective oxidative stress treatment is crucial for maintaining overall health and longevity.
Whey Protein as an Antioxidant
Whey protein is a high-quality protein derived from milk during the cheese-making process. It contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein source. But what sets whey protein apart in the fight against oxidative stress? Whey protein is rich in bioactive peptides and cysteine – a semi-essential amino acid.
Cysteine is a precursor for synthesising glutathione, a powerful endogenous antioxidant in the body. Glutathione helps neutralise free radicals and prevent oxidative damage. However, cysteine is often the limiting factor in the production of glutathione. This is where whey protein comes into play.
Whey protein is exceptionally high in cysteine. Its consumption can significantly boost glutathione levels in the body. As a result, whey protein acts as an antioxidant, boosting the body’s defence against oxidative stress.
Inflammation and oxidative stress often go hand in hand. Chronic inflammation can lead to the production of more free radicals, increasing oxidative stress. Whey protein has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help break this vicious cycle.
- Whey protein reduces inflammation by inhibiting the activity of pro-inflammatory molecules called cytokines.
- Whey protein contains immunoglobulins and lactoferrin, which have been found to have anti-inflammatory effects.
Whey Protein as Immune Support
Oxidative stress can weaken the immune system, making the body more susceptible to infections. Whey protein, with its rich array of bioactive compounds, supports the immune system in several ways.
- Whey protein contains immunoglobulins and lactoferrin, which help strengthen the immune response.
- These proteins have antimicrobial properties and can help the body fight off infections.
- Whey protein also provides the building blocks for synthesising glutathione, essential for immune cell function.
- Whey protein is a source of the amino acid Arginine, vital for immune cell activation and function.
Aiding in Muscle Recovery and Exercise-induced Oxidative Stress
Exercise-induced oxidative stress causes muscular damage and fatigue, and whey protein naturally supports muscle recovery and reduces oxidative stress.
- It’s enriched with leucine. Leuine is a branch-chain amino acid (BCAA) that promotes muscle growth.
- Whey protein increases the level of glutathione. It’s a crucial antioxidant in our body. The production of glutathione depends on the amino acid supply of the body. As whey protein is a high resource of amino acids, it boosts the level of glutathione. Thus, consuming whey protein after strenuous exercise empowers muscle growth.
- It also supports the performance and endurance during exercise. Thus, it reduces oxidative stress.
Fighting Oxidative Stress with MuscleBlaze Whey Protein
MuscleBlaze Whey Protein is packed with high-quality whey protein and BCAA. It reduces oxidative stress, promotes muscle growth, and boosts immunity and stomach discomfort. Many bodybuilders and gym trainers prefer this whey protein to reduce oxidative stress. It also improves the body’s nutrient absorption capability.
Whey protein is a powerful protein supplement that fights against oxidative stress. Its amino acid and antioxidant quotient helps to combat this stress and construct resistance against other fatal diseases caused by oxidative stress, such as – diabetes, cancer and ageing. So, add this protein to your diet and maintain a healthy lifestyle.