There are various health benefits of goji berries for their abilities to fight diseases, effectively managing your weight, and aiding better digestion. Extracts of goji berries are used for skincare too.
Off late Goji berries have become really popular. They have been a part of Chinese medicine for over 2000 years. Goji berries, which are also known as wolfberries are small red colored berries native to Asia.
In fact, it is rightly said that goji berries are one of the healthiest berries. Some of the important goji berries benefits arise from the fact that they are low in calories, high in antioxidants, and a good source of fiber. The other good thing about these berries is that they are fat-free, so you can enjoy some guilt free snacking. They contain a wide range of polynutirents, trace minerals, and vitamins. This is the reason that goji berries are often called superfood berries.
Legend says that goji berries were eaten by ancient monks in the Himalayas thousands of years ago and these berries helped them achieve better health, energy, and stamina.
(Source – healthline)
You can eat goji berries in raw, dried, or in powder form. There are various goji berries benefits not just for your health, but also for your skin.
Who Should Avoid Goji Gerries?
You should avoid consuming goji berries if you –
- Are pregnant (it can cause miscarriage) or are breastfeeding
- Have low or high blood pressure
- Are allergic to the fruit
- Have low blood sugar levels
- Use blood thinners
Excess of intake of goji berries can lead to vitamin A toxicity, so you need to limit your intake. ¼ cup goji berries fulfill 34% of your vitamin-A intake.
7 Goji Berries Benefits
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Like various other berries, goji berries are also a rich source of antioxidants that help promote immune health. It also protects the body from oxidative damage and inflammation caused due to free radicals. Goji berries are also known for the excellent ability to reduce oxidative stress.
1 serving of goji berries has 4g of protein and 18 different amino acids. It also serves 20 other trace minerals like – zinc, iron
, phosphorus, and vitamin B12.
Sprinkle them on top of your cereal in breakfast or prepare a smoothie using muesli, goji berries, and yogurt to give your body a power-packed punch of nutrients.
(Source – healthline)
2. Great for Skincare
One of the important benefits of goji berries is that it is very good for skin. So, if you want skin that is naturally glowing and radiant, then including products enriched with the goodness of goji berries will be greatly beneficial.
- Healthy Glow – These berries are rich in beta carotene which gives your skin a healthy glow. Eating foods (in moderate amounts) rich in beta carotene will give your skin a radiant glow.
- Offers Sun Protection – Have you ever heard the phrase ‘eat your sunscreen’? It means eating certain foods that naturally equip your skin with the ability to block harmful UV rays. Eating goji berries will protect your skin from sun damage.
- Reduces Inflammation – Goji berries are beneficial in reducing skin inflammation – eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. If you have acne inflammation, including goji berries in your diet will soothe redness.
- Boosts Collagen Production – Goji berries are known for their high vitamin C content. Vitamin C encourages collagen production in the skin, protects skin from oxidative stress, and maintains skin’s elasticity.
If these aren’t enough reasons to relish goji berries, here are some more goji berries benefits for you:
- Help keep skin moisturized
- Improve skin tone
- Delay onset of wrinkles and fine lines
- Have anti-fungal properties
- Have strong anti-bacterial properties
Goji Berry Face Mask
Soak 3 goji berries in 2tbsp water. After 15 minutes mash them to make a smooth paste. Add ½ tbsp raw honey and mix well. Apply all over your face and let it dry for 15 minutes before you wash it off with lukewarm water. Use regularly to give your skin a youthful boost.
3. Boosts Immunity
Goji berries help boost immunity and provide protection against the flu. In fact, a strong immune system and flu protection go hand in hand. The vitamins in goji berries help increase and support immunity.
Just like blueberries and raspberries, goji berries also have a high content of antioxidants, vitamin A, and vitamin C. These are two key ingredients in building immunity and preventing common illnesses like cold, flu etc. Because of the beneficial compounds present, goji berries promote anti-tumor and antioxidant activities in the liver, brain, digestive tract, and reproductive system. Recent studies suggest that goji berries show anti-tumor properties against various types of skin cancer cells by inhibiting tumor growth and inducing apoptosis.
Homemade Goji berry Tea
Make goji berry tea by steeping 5 goji berries in 1 cup boiling water for 15 minutes. Sip it while watching your favorite TV show or reading a magazine and give your body all the goodness of goji berries.
(Source – LiveStrong)
4. Detoxify the Liver
To protect and detoxify your liver
, you should add goji berries to your diet. These berries along with other traditional herbs like licorice, ganoderma, gynostemma, and pentaphylla are used in many liver cleansers. Adding goji berries to soups and porridge recipes, especially for sick people will help them recover well.
There are numerous benefits of goji berries for liver health. They not only help improve the liver and kidney meridians to restore strength, but also help with general vitality, and well-being. Goji berries are also considered good for cleansing the blood and beneficial for removal of kidney stones too.
5. Help Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels
If you have fluctuating blood sugar levels and crave sweets, then goji berries can be a great solution. Goji berries can help –
- Alleviate insulin resistance
- Improve sugar tolerance
- Recover insulin producing cells
- Lower blood sugar levels
In addition, these berries also help control the release of sugar into the bloodstream, thus, preventing spikes and dips which are a big problem in balancing blood sugar levels.
Make sure you talk to your doctor before including goji berries in your diet, especially if you have low blood sugar levels.
6. Boost Fertility
It is believed that consuming goji berries
is beneficial for the reproductive system and boosts fertility. They are used to increase sperm count and vitality of sperm. Evidence shows that goji berry helps in treating female infertility in patients with premature ovarian failure and inability to ovulate normally.
A study done in China showed that goji berries –
- May help protect against testicular tissue damage induced due to heat exposure
- Raise antioxidant activity in reproductive system
- May aid in raising sexual hormone level
(Source – The Telegraph)
7. Promote Eye Health
Goji berries are known to protect eyes from age related damage like macular degeneration – leading cause of blindness in older adults. Because of their high antioxidant content, especially zeaxanthin, these berries are beneficial for vision. They also help prevent damage from UV rays free radicals, and other oxidative stress.
A study also found that goji berries protect the retina and the antioxidants act as a natural treatment for glaucoma.
Goji Berries Side Effects
It is recommended that you must take these berries in limited quantity. Some of the goji berries side effects include –
- Interacting with diabetes medicine
- Can lead to hypertension
- Bad for those who have pollen allergies
- Can increase blood flow in the body
- Increases energy levels making you hyperactive and restless
- Can interfere with sleeping pattern
- Can cause dizziness
- Can cause digestive disorders and indigestion
- High selenium content of goji berries is not suitable for pregnant women and can cause serious birth defects.