Due to its long process, not everyone might want to make apple cider vinegar at home. But still, here's how to make apple cider vinegar at home and reap its amazing health benefits. And if you have good patience, then it's certainly worth a try!
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a natural health product that can also be made inexpensively at home. It is also known as cider vinegar and its composition is that of a pale colour liquid. Apple cider vinegar has plenty of health benefits including boosting stamina and taking care of the immune system. With such fascinating benefits, here is a guide on how to make apple cider vinegar at home.
Image Source: Boomerpreps.com
Things To Remember For Making Apple Cider Vinegar At home
There are several steps on how to make apple cider vinegar at home. But, before you get the steps to make apple cider vinegar at home, there are some things you should consider.
- Try to get some local organic apples from the market and save the cores or the peels of the apples you are not using. This is how you won’t waste apples or their excess.
- The apples will require some fermentation before you start making it into vinegar. The core of how to make apple cider vinegar at home is answered here: ferment!
- Use a knife to cut those apples and start with a clean jar so that the fermentation can happen smoothly. You should use up to two clean jars- one to ferment and a wide mouth jar to store after Apple cider vinegar is ready.
- If you are making say applesauce or strudel or pies with apples and you have some excess of the peels, you can refrigerate them to make apple cider vinegar. Yes, the process is that eco-friendly!
- It is easier to ferment apples in hotter weather than colder climates. The fermentation process takes lesser time in the heat and that’s the reason for a healthier ACV if you wanted to know how to make apple cider vinegar at home fast.
- In order to understand how to make apple cider vinegar at home, you should embrace yourself with some patience. The making and fermentation process can take up to 4 weeks to process and about 3-6 months to be fully ready.
- Ideally, in warmer climates fermentation process will show you when there is a dark bacterial layer on your stored cut, peeled and sugared apples. This is also known as the Mother vinegar.
- The joy of making apple cider vinegar at home is that you receive the authentic vinegar with the Mother. You may not find the same in packaged products because they do away with the Mother sometimes and you receive the refined cider vinegar.
- The real reason for fermentation is that it produces the necessary enzymes we need to make the apple cider vinegar a very health friendly natural product.
- When you make apple cider vinegar at home, you create the unpasteurized version of it. That is the ideal apple cider vinegar we hear of!
Steps To Make Apple Cider Vinegar At Home
Don’t stress about how to make apple cider vinegar at home because the steps are really easy and you can make as much as you want in one go. Here’s how: Image Source: homemademommy.net
Step 1: Wash organic apples and cut them in quarters with a sharp knife. Easy!
Step 2: Let them rest for a good sometime till they turn naturally brown. Won’t take long!
Step 3: Use 3 teaspoons of raw sugar or better still organic cane sugar if you are using 3-4 apples. Yes, this recipe needs sugar.
Step 4: Use filtered water. You will need this for covering the apple leftovers. Pour the water into the apples.
Healthkart Apple Cider Vinegar With Mother – Click To Buy
Image Source: naturallivingideas.com
Related Article: How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss
Step 5: Use a clean or a sterilized jar. You need to fill it with apple cores and peels for about 3/4th of the jar.
Step 6: A simple cheesecloth or muslin cloth (whichever is available) can be used to cover the jar. You will need to do this process gently for a few minutes so that there is air for the mixture to receive some oxygen.
Step 7: A rubber-band or simple tie-ups is required to enclose the lid of the jar. A light elastic band is better suited for longer durations. Now place it in a warm and dark place.
Step 8: This covered mixture stays for about 4-6 months ideally but different ways of doing it includes 3-4 months of storage as well.
Step 9: Please revive the jar after the abovementioned period. Now, you should be able to see the cloudy and foamy bacterial fermentation. Filter the mixture through the cheesecloth (into a sieve) slowly into the wider jar.
Image Source: mountainfeed.com
Step 10: Now strain the liquid part out and do away with the leftover apple pulp.
Step 11: The next step is where you transfer the previously fermented mixture and keep it there for another 2-4 weeks.
Step 12: Now you take out the jar from the warm and dark storage. You can see your apple cider vinegar is ready. You can then shift the ACV into containers of your choice!
Related Article – 26 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Tips on how to make apple cider vinegar at home:
The larger premise of how to prepare apple cider vinegar at home remains the same however many methods may have a few changes here and there. You can pour needed amounts of sugar till the apples submerge into it. The simple hack is to first figure out the size of your jar. Then you add quite a few spoonful of organic sugar and mix it in a cup with water. Then you subsequently add the solution to the cut up apple peels, cores, and pulps.
Some tips on how to make apple cider vinegar at home also include techniques for the jar. Securing of the jar should be moderate-tight in capacity. If you leave it loosely then the apples might get molds and we don’t want that. You want to ferment the apples but not allow them to rot with molds, so keep a watch. After the initial storage of 3-4 months, you can feel a tarty appearance on the mixture. It is then time to shift the jars and pour it through the cheesecloth for its restoration process.
Ideally, you should keep the Mother that might appear tarty on the top of your mixture. Retaining the Mother helps in getting all the important benefits of apple cider vinegar. You can also release the Mother part if you want and filter or refine it according to your needs. So go ahead and try your hand on how to make apple cider vinegar at home fast!