Diet & Nutrition 3 MIN READ 1204 VIEWS March 1, 2022

Fish Oil vs Omega 3: Which is Better?

Written By Jyoti Jaswal
Medically Reviewed By Dr. Aarti Nehra

Fish oil vs Omega 3

We all know how important it is to add supplements to your diet in order to fulfill the daily nutritional requirements of the body. Choosing the right supplement to compensate for the deficiency is equally important. Amongst various supplements, Omega 3 capsules are most people’s go-to health solution. The Omega 3 supplements are crucial for our overall well-being, as they contain both docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Fish oil is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains other fatty acids as well as fats. There are plenty of brands coming up with fish oil and omega 3 capsules. It is crucial for you to understand which of the two your body requires. When understanding the role of fish oil vs omega 3, there are a few aspects you should know.

Difference Between Fish Oil and Omega 3

Fish oil is an oil and omega 3 is a fatty acid and both have different structure and components. 

Fish oil is an oil or fat produced from the fish’s tissues. However, it only contains EPA and DHA but not ALA. 30% of fish oil is made up of omega-3 fatty acid, while the rest of the 70% is made of other fats. It usually contains some vitamin A and vitamin D.  

Omega 3 fatty acid is polyunsaturated fat. It has three forms such as  EPA, ALA, and DHA. EPA and DHA can be found in fish such as sardines, cods, etc.  Whereas ALA can be derived from vegetable oils like soybean oil or canola oil and from walnuts and flaxseeds.

Choosing which one is better between omega 3 supplement and fish oil supplement, can be difficult as both are beneficial to humans. If you don’t eat a lot of fatty fish, then you should consider taking an omega-3 supplement or fish oil supplement. As they are pocket friendly and are an effective way to improve health. 

Benefits of Omega 3 supplements and Fish Oil Supplements Offer 

Both fish oil and omega 3 supplements provide you with following benefits:

  1. Lowering blood cholesterol
  2. Lowering hypertension, reducing triglycerides, and alleviating the risks of heart attack and stroke
  3. Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, one of the leading causes of death around the world
  4. Fish oil and the omega 3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatories properties which can help in improving one’s memory and mental capacities
  5. Helping fight depression and anxiety
  6. Contributing in the improvement of eye health
  7. Reducing symptoms of ADHD in children
  8. Decreasing the symptoms of metabolic syndrome
  9. Helping fight inflammation and age-related mental decline that leads to problems like alzheimer’s disease
  10. May fight autoimmune disease
  11. May prevent cancer
  12. Helping reduce asthma in children
  13. Reducing fat in your liver and minimizing symptoms of fatty liver
  14. May improve joint and bone health
  15. Supporting in the improvement of sleep
  16. Benefiting your skin by managing oil production, ensuring hydration, reducing premature aging, and lowering the risk of acne

Finding the Right Supplement 

While it is crucial to understand what to choose when it comes to fish oil vs omega 3, it is very important to know what you are looking for so that you can make the most of your investment. As the supplement industry has different varieties and dosages to offer and most of the brands claim to offer quality and effective products.  Listed below are some tips that will help you find the right supplement: 

  1. Read the label carefully 
  2. Make sure the supplement contains little EPA and DHA
  3. For better absorption, opt for FFA (free fatty acids, rTG (triglycerides and reformed triglycerides), TG, and PLs (phospholipids), instead of EE (ethyl esters)
  4. Buy products that have a standard of purity or a third party seal
  5. Always check the date and smell of the product, and check if it contains an antioxidant like vitamin E
  6. Buy these supplements from a trusted and certified platform

Conclusion

Both Omega 3 and fish oil supplements are good for your health. However, make sure you know the role of fish oil vs omega 3 when it comes to your body’s requirements. It is also important for you to know what your supplement offers and pay attention to the DHA and EPA content. For better results, consider taking these supplements with a meal that contains fat because fat increases the absorption of omega- 3s of fish oil supplement. 

Read these next