Omega 3 or Fish Oil - Which Supplement to Choose & Why?

1560 views

Some food items keep the body healthy while others can harm the body. Unhealthy foods like pizza, burger contain unhealthy fat content which can cause unwanted illness. However, it is important to add healthy fat food components like fish oil and omega3. Read on to know the difference.

Omega 3 Benefits

Difference Between Omega 3 and Fish Oil

Fish oil is an oil and omega 3 is a fatty acid and both have different structure and components.

Fish oil is an oil itself, produced from the fish’s tissues and fat. However, it only contains EPA and DHA but not ALA. 30% of fish oil is made up of omega fatty acid, while the rest of the 70% is made of other fats. It usually contains some vitamin A and vitamin D.  

Omega 3 fatty acid is polyunsaturated fat. It has three forms such as  EPA, ALA, and DHA. EPA and DHA can be found in fish such as sardines, cods, etc.  Whereas ALA can be derived from vegetable oils like soybean oil or canola oil and from walnuts and flaxseeds.

Choosing which one is better between omega 3 supplement and fish oil supplement, can be difficult as both are beneficial to humans. If you don’t eat a lot of fatty fish, then you should consider taking an omega-3 supplement or fish oil supplement. As they are pocket friendly and are an effective way to improve health. 

Benefits Omega 3 supplements and Fish Oil Supplements Offer

  • Lowers blood cholesterol
  • Lowers hypertension, reduces triglycerides, lowering the risks of heart attack and stroke. 
  • Overall, reduces the risk for cardiovascular disease, one of the leading causes of death around the world. 
  • Fish oil and the omega 3 fatty acid have anti-inflammatories properties, which can help in improving one’s memory and mental capacities.
  • Can fight depression and anxiety 
  • Can improve eye health
  • Reduce symptoms of ADHD in children
  • Reduce the symptoms of metabolic syndrome
  • Can fight inflammation and fight age-related mental decline and Alzheimer's disease
  • Can fight autoimmune disease 
  • May prevent cancer
  • Can reduce asthma in children
  • Reduce fat in your liver
  • May improve joint and bone health
  • Supplementing with omega-3 and fish oil can improve sleep
  • They can benefit your skin by managing oil production and hydration of skin, reducing premature ageing of skin and risk of acne
Fish Oil Benefits

Finding the Right Supplement 

If you are planning to take fish oil or omega-3 fatty acid supplement, it is very important to know what you are looking for so that you can make the most of your investment. As the supplement industry has different varieties and dosages to offer and most of the brands claim to offer quality and effective products. 

Tips to find the right supplement:

  • So, when buying these supplements read the label carefully 
  • Make sure the supplement contains little EPA and DHA
  • Should contain 1000 mg fish oil per capsule
  • For better absorption, opt for FFA (free fatty acids, RTG (triglycerides and reformed triglycerides), TG, and PLs (phospholipids), instead of EE (ethyl esters)
  • Buy products that have a standard of purity or a third party seal
  • Always check the date and smell of the product, and check if it contains an antioxidant like vitamin E
  • Buy these supplements from trusted and certified organisations. Like TrueBasics Omega 3 and TrueBasics Fish Oil comes under the list of quality supplements

Bottom Line: Both Omega 3 and fish oil supplement are good for your health and regular fish oil or omega 3 is sufficient for most people. However, make sure your supplement offers what it says and pay attention to the DHA and EPA content. For better results consider taking these supplements with a meal that contains fat because fat increases the absorption of omega- 3s of fish oil supplement.

Ask your question