On every 20 th march, people celebrate World Oral Health Day. Most of us don’t understand why this day is so emphasised because of the less awareness of oral health. Generally, we only scold children not to have excessive sweet brushes daily, but everything is good for adults. This may happen because we don’t understand the gravity of oral health. World oral health day 2021 has come up with campian Be proud of your mouth to make you understand the importance of oral health. Here you will know why WOHD has been so emphasised.
Simple Habits To Support Oral Health;
The oral hygiene day will keep reminding you of working toward oral health. Just by adopting some of the healthy habits, you can support your oral health. These are simple but hard to accept as a habit and need enough discipline.
- Brush your teeth daily. At least do it two times in a day
- Go easy on your teeth with a soft bristled brush.
- Use natural toothpaste.
- Floss regularly.
- After eating anything, use mouthwash.
- Limit the added sugar from your meal.
- Incorporate healthy diets.
- Replace your brush every three months.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings and checkups.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco, and other harmful things.
Why Oral Health Is Important?
World oral health day reminds us of the importance of oral health that contributes to various conditions and diseases if not cared well. Some of the conditions are given below:
- Cardiovascular disease: In some studies it is found that clogged arteries, heart diseases, stroke, and other heart conditions are somehow linked to infections and inflammations because of oral bacteria.
- Pregnancy complications: Periodontitis is a gum disease that is a serious gum infection that can damage the soft tissue. Without treatment it destroys the teeth by weakening the bones. This is linked to low birth weight and premature birth.
- Endocarditis: It is an infection that takes place in your heart chambers or valves. It typically happens when the germs or the bacteria from the teeth, mouth or other parts of the body spread via bloodstream.
- Pneumonia and respiratory disease: There are some bacteria in your teeth that can be pulled into lungs and can be caused by respiratory diseases and pneumonia.
Along with these, there are some other conditions that might be affected by your oral health including HIV/ AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and many others. Because of it many people are having gut issues like indigestion. Weak gut health is responsible for weak immune systems, skin diseases, hair issues, inflammation, and various other issues. But we forget these conditions more often.To remind us every year world dental day helps us to be aware and avoid these conditions.
In absence of awareness, people don’t take world oral health seriously. Since the International oral health day is proposed every 20 march of the year, the awareness of oral health has increased. Now people are getting more aware about their overall health. Also there is created an acceptance for overall health and wellness. Let’s spread the smile by spreading awareness on oral health.