Fruits are perhaps the most important component to any balanced diet, owing to their high nutritional value and being a rich source of several essential vitamins and minerals that provide various health benefits, making them an excellent snack for when you are trying to lose weight.
They have been recognized as a vital part of a healthy eating plate because of their antioxidant nature along with their high reserves of potassium and folates. Several health institutions are also studying fruits like cranberries and strawberries as they contain phytochemicals that may have a range of medical benefits.
Fruits are also an excellent way of avoiding Vitamin C and Vitamin A deficiencies, which have been found to lead to serious health complications in the long run. People who regularly include fruits as a part of their nutritional diet were also reported to have significantly less medical issues. A healthy eating plate recommends that you fill half your plate with fruits.
Importance Of Consuming Fruits In A Healthy Diet Plan
Fruits are a rich source of several important nutrients that aid the overall development and growth of your body. Here are a few advantages of consuming fruits:
- Prevents Chronic Diseases: An increased consumption of fruits has shown to lead to decreased risk in developing several illnesses such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorders, eye disorders and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Better Cardiovascular Health: Fruits like bananas, guavas and cantaloupes are naturally rich in minerals like potassium that help in reducing the risk of developing heart stroke and disease. Strawberries and blackcurrants are also high in antioxidants and anthocyanins which help in reducing the oxidative stress exerted on the heart.
- Improves Digestion: Fruits are also high in fiber, which helps regulate your bowel movements and lower bad cholesterol levels, making them an important aspect of several weight loss diets. They are also rich in antioxidants such as polyphenols which have been shown to have a positive effect on gut health by promoting the growth of healthy intestinal bacteria.
- Strengthens The Immune System: It has also been observed that the regular consumption of fruits is beneficial for developing the immune system as they contain antioxidants that reverse the damaging actions of free radicals. By doing so, they also prevent your body from certain types of cancer. Apart from that, they also aid cell and tissue repairs, regulating eye vision and gum health.
- Aids Weight Loss: Fruits are beneficial in aiding weight loss as their high fiber and water content helps in reducing your appetite. Consuming a single apple can keep you full for quite a while. The chewy texture of fruits also tricks your mind into thinking that you have eaten more than you have, which is useful for keeping your hunger pangs at bay.
It has also been observed that fruits like bananas and oranges are even more filling than meats such as beef and eggs due to their texture. Several diets such as the Atkins diet incorporate fruits as a primary component for the same reason.
- Prevents Neural Tube Defects: Pregnant women require an adequate amount of folate in the first trimester of their pregnancy in order to prevent neural tube birth defects. Consuming fruits that are a rich source of folates will not only avoid these birth defects but also significantly improve the mother’s health by increasing the formation of red blood cells.
- Regulates Energy Levels: Fruits are a rich class of carb foods that help regulate your body’s energy levels and maintain blood glucose. They are also a natural and healthier alternative to energy drinks that are loaded with chemicals and sugars.
- Prevents Diabetes: Regular consumption of fruits has been observed to have a positive effect on the glycemic index of mostar diabetic patients and significantly reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, with blueberries having the most potent effects.
When To Avoid Fruits
While eating fruits is healthy for most people, there are specific instances where it is better to avoid them altogether. For example, people following the keto diet plan need to consume minimal sugar and low carb foods in order to achieve the desired effect, and consuming fruits would instantly kick the body out of ketosis. Fruits can also cause digestive symptoms among those who are allergic to a specific set of carbs called FODMAPs.
If you are someone who wants to limit their fruit consumption but at the same time, avail the full benefits of their nutritional value, we recommend that you substitute your daily food intake with supplements such as HealthKart Multivitamins which have been designed to meet the recommended daily allowance for several essential nutrients in a single go.