At some point when we were all teenagers, we suffered from acne. So, today let’s dig into this topic by addressing the various types of acne and what causes them.
Acne is a common skin disorder that occurs when hair follicles get clogged with dead skin cells, sebum, and bacteria under the skin. The main cause of acne is hormonal changes, pollution, improper diet, using oily/unsuitable skin care products, stress, a few medicines, and genetics. Though teenagers get affected by acne frequently, the truth is that anyone can have acne at any age.
Now that we know what acne is, let us talk about the different types of acne.
What are the Different Types of Acne?
Acne can occur in any part of your body but mainly it is seen on your face, shoulder, forehead, and chest. The types of acne that you must be mindful of are:
Blackheads are a milder type of acne. These are dark, open bumps that are filled with oil and dead skin cells. They are very common among teenagers and are mainly seen on the nose area, foreheads, and chin. The main cause of blackheads is an increase in sebum production and an increase in androgen. Sometimes, heavy sweating, humidity, and some medications can be the reason behind the occurrence of blackheads.
Blackheads can be treated in several ways such as:
- Salicylic acid is a popular skin cleanser. It helps in breaking down the dead cells and removing the excess oil produced by the skin before they can block the skin pores.
- Retinol lotions or creams can also help you to unclog the pores. They even help your body to produce new skin cells.
- Chemical peels help you to remove the dead cells from the upper layer of the skin and also help in producing new skin cells.
- A skin brush also helps you in treating your blackheads. But always remember to hydrate your skin after using it.
There are many ways to prevent blackheads: you can wash your face with cleanser twice a day, use non-alcoholic skin products, change your pillowcase every week and try to not touch your face frequently.
A whitehead is another form of acne which is of light yellow or white colour. When the dead cells, bacterias, and oil get trapped in your skin pores, whiteheads occur. The cause of whiteheads is clogged/closed pores. The reason behind your pores getting clogged is hormonal imbalance, excess production of sebum, or skin oil. It is mostly seen on the T- zone of your face.
The different methods of treating whiteheads are:
- Using an astringent will help to shrink your skin cells and dry up excess sebum. It also helps in removing bacteria that cause breakouts.
- Raw honey is also a powerful tool for all types of acne issues. It is an anti-inflammatory product that reduces acne redness and heals wounds caused by broken whiteheads.
- Benzoyl peroxide is another antibacterial product that helps to dry out excess oil produced by the skin.
- Another product is Alpha hydroxy acid which helps in exfoliating your skin and also removes the dead skin cells.
Now, to prevent your skin from whiteheads, you will have to wash your face with mild cleanser daily, avoid too much sun exposure and always use sunscreen, use non-oily skin products, and do not forget to remove your makeup before going to bed.
Papules are small, red bumps that appear on your skin. These are inflammatory acne and do not contain pus. The causes behind the formation of these papules are bacterias, excess amount of sebum production, and androgens. Also, this acne can get worse if you stress a lot or follow an improper diet.
The various ways of treating papules are as follows:
- Doctors may prescribe you antibiotics to treat these inflammatory breakouts. They help in killing the bacterias present on the skin and also reduce the redness of the skin.
- Women can also consume birth control pills to treat papules, especially prescribed to women who also need contraception.
- If you use apple cider vinegar on your face along with the water, it will help to kill the acne-causing bacteria.
- Green tea is another powerful ingredient that helps in reducing inflammation.
To prevent the occurrence of acne papules, try to clean your face with a mild cleanser, moisturise your skin daily, maintain a healthy and proper diet, and consume enough water to keep your skin hydrated.
Among the various types of pimples, pustules are the larger ones that contain a yellowish fluid known as pus. These are red bumps that can occur in any area of your skin such as the face, neck, hairline, and back. Though pustules are harmless, they are very painful. Pustules occur when the walls of the skin pores break down which were blocked by dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria.
This acne type can be treated in various ways:
- You may use salicylic acid to exfoliate your skin and can also use benzoyl peroxide to kill the bacterias that cause acne.
- You can go for home remedies like applying clay masks on your face. It will help you to attract dirt and oil from your skin, preventing further occurrence of pustules.
- Aloe vera gel is another natural ingredient that contains anti-inflammatory properties which soothe your skin.
To prevent this kind of blemish, you will need to keep your skin clean and hydrated, use a sufficient amount of sunscreen before going out, and remember to apply moisturiser before going to bed.
Nodules are inflammatory acne that appear on your skin as red bumps. They are hard and large painful lumps deep in the skin. These are caused by excessive sweating because of which sebums and hairlines get trapped under skin pores. Other causes are hormonal changes, improper skincare routine, and in some cases, genetics. This cannot be treated at home or on your own. You need professional skin care to treat this.
The different ways of treating these types of pimples are:
- Using oral medications helps in reducing inflammation and treating nodules and acne.
- You can use prescribed salicylic acid and retinoids to unclog trapped pores of your skin.
- You can opt for chemical peels, laser therapy, or any other method to get rid of acne.
- Cortisone injections are also very helpful in shrinking large and painful nodules.
Now, to prevent this nodule acne, always try to keep your skin clean, use good quality skin care products such as moisturiser and sunscreen and try to meditate every day for a few minutes to keep stress at bay.
Acne is a general skin problem that can affect people of any age group and at any time. Different types of pimples appear on our skin and there are various acne and pimples treatments available. Trying out different home remedies can be a good option but in case they do not help, you must consult a dermatologist.