Coronavirus situation is intensifying and there is no specific medicine that can help to protect against COVID-19. You might be trying various ways to keep yourself healthy and strengthening your immune system must be on the top of the list.
Coronavirus symptoms include fever, cough, tiredness and difficulty breathing and with a weak immune system dealing with this can be a bit difficult. So, to keep your immune system strong you need proper handwashing, have good nutrition, be active, meditate and manage stress and get enough sleep. As keeping your immune system healthy can prevent infection and disease.
According to research, supplementing with certain minerals, vitamins and herbs can improve the immune system. However, make sure you consult your doctor starting any immune booster supplements.
Here are 10 supplements to boost immune system
- Vitamin C: This supplement is one of the best immune booster supplements that protect against infection and plays a major role in immune health. It functions as a by protecting against damage caused by oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can impact our immune health and can lead to numerous diseases. Taking vitamin c supplements can reduce the chances of common cold and the sea variety and duration of upper respiratory tract infections.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is the best vitamin for the immune system. It enhances white blood cells and decreases inflammation which helps in promoting immune response. Vitamin D deficiency can increase the risk of upper respiratory tract infections like allergic asthma and influenza.
- Zinc: Zinc is a mineral that is usually added to supplements and other healthcare products to improve your immune system. This mineral is essential for immune cell development and communication and also helps in inflammatory response. Zinc supplement can reduce the duration of common cold
- Elderberry: Black elderberry has been known for its effects on immune health. This supplement has potential antibacterial and antiviral potential against bacterial pathogens responsible for strains of influenza virus and upper respiratory tract infections. Elderberry supplements come in liquid or capsule form.
- Medicinal Mushrooms: Medicinal mushrooms have been used for centuries to prevent infection and disease. They have immune enhancing properties. According to research, these medicinal mushrooms can enhance immune health and reduce symptoms of certain conditions like lung infections and asthma.
- Garlic: Garlic is known to have powerful anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Garlic boosts the immune system by stimulating protective white blood cells.
- B complex vitamins: B complex vitamins including B6 and B12 are essential for healthy immune response. Its deficiency can negatively impact your immune health.
- Curcumin: Turmeric contains a main active compound called curcumin. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which may help to improve immune function.
- Selenium: This mineral is also essential for human health. Selenium supplement can improve antiviral defense against influenza strains.
- Astragalus: Astragalus is a herb which has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It’s extract can improve immune related responses.
Whether you need an immune booster supplement for adults, immune booster supplements for toddlers and immune booster supplements for babies, all the above-mentioned supplements are known for their immune enhancing potential and are perfect for every age group. These supplements are an important part of a healthy lifestyle. However, make sure you maintain a healthy balanced diet, get enough sleep, engage in regular physical activity to reduce your chances of infection and disease.