Not everyone has time to hit the gym every day. You have to clock-in the travel time as well when you decide to join a gym. This can be hectic when you are already balancing work and home. The best thing to do is to schedule a simple routine of home exercises for weight loss. You are not only able to save a lot of time, but also a lot of money. There are several simple exercises for weight loss at home that you can try out. To begin with, you need to understand the science of weight loss. That way, you can plan a program that is sure to give you great results.
The Science Of Weight Loss
Before picking exercises to do at home for weight loss, you need to make sure that you understand how weight loss works. Most people start off with weight loss as the goal. It helps to understand what your body needs in order to get better results. So when you are planning home exercises for weight loss, you need to know how the body works when you begin to exercise. Knowing when the process of weight loss actually begins will keep you more motivated towards these home gym exercises.
- Keep your exercise routine regular
- Plan home exercises to lose weight for at least 60 minutes
- Never skip breakfast
- Eat whole foods that are low in calories and fat
- Keep an eating pattern that is consistent
- If you skip a workout, make up quickly to avoid any large regain.
- Avoid eating out
- Get ample rest
Image Source: stylecraze
If you have made some drastic changes in your diet and your activity level, the first few weeks are when you will see maximum results. People begin with 1-2 pounds every week in the beginning.
In most cases, this initial loss of weight is actually water loss. For instance, if you pair a cardio exercise at home with a low carb diet, the glycogen in the muscles begin to deplete. Along with this, some retained water is also lost. But, this is not the time when fat loss begins. That said, your weighing scale isn’t always your best guide. As you progress in your workout plan, there could be an increase in lean muscle mass. This will show as weight gain on the scale. The results of your body fitness exercises at home will seem to slow down at this point.
The best way to stay motivated is to track the progress you are making with a measuring tape. Measure your waist, arms, hip, thighs, and chest. Keep a record and compare the results every few weeks. There is also a very important connection between weight loss and your lifestyle. If you have a very stressful schedule, weight loss is not that apparent. You will see a difference in the clothing size and also in your overall health. This is despite the feeling that your body exercises at home are not leading to massive results. Make sure that you develop a healthy sense of weight loss. Gradually, with a regular routine and a good diet, you will see a marked improvement in your health. This includes a drop in cholesterol levels and also blood pressure. This is more important than actual numbers that you see on the scale.
That said, there are some body fitness exercises at home that are far more effective than others. Including them in your workout plan can have drastic results.
Breaking Down Your Workout!
Image Source: askmeanswers.com
There are two components to a good workout – cardiovascular training and strength training. Cardiovascular workout means bringing your heart rate up. This requires you to indulge in any activity that demands a good amount of effort. This includes running, dancing, jump ropes, jumping jacks or brisk walks. When you are looking for a good fat loss program, resistance training or strength training along with cardio will help you burn fat faster. Strength training requires you to add some resistance in the form of ankle weights, resistance bands, dumb bells etc. The reason you need to include strength training is that you will build more muscle with this type of workout. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism will be. The rule is simple – to change your size, you need cardio and to change the shape of your body, you need strength training.
Losing Weight? Keep A Track Of Your Weight Loss Now!
Also, more muscle means that you have lesser fat in your body. It is necessary to remember that when you are planning home exercises, merely adding strength training routines will not help shed any pounds. When you engage in a good combination of cardiovascular and strength training, your glycogen store in the muscle decreases significantly. This is even more so when you have a diet that is low in carbohydrates. This forces the body to use the fat that is stored in your body to create energy.
This fat loss continues even after a good workout because your body requires energy in order to carry out daily functions. This also brings us to an important part of the workout plan – Rest. You enter a zone of pure fat loss if you can take a nap during the day and if you get ample sleep. This is because sleeping is completely aerobic, making your body use the stored fat to continue to function.
Top 10 Weight Loss Exercises You Can Do At Home
Image Source: livestrong.com
Once you have set your mind to get healthy, you can include these 10 exercises to do at home for weight loss:
1.Push-ups: Push-ups is a wonderful exercise to work your whole body, particularly your chest. Place your hands on the sides of your chest. Support your body weight on your hands while lying face down. Now lift your body up as a single unit and lower it back to the starting position by bending the elbow. You can change this exercise to work on your triceps by moving your hands closer to your waist. If it is hard initially, you can keep your knees bent.
2. Bridge: This is a simple exercise to do at home. Lie down on your back. Bend your knees with your feet on the ground. Then simply lift your hip up and lower it back to the original position. Keep repeating for at least 15 times in a set.
3.Skater Jumps: This is a good cardiovascular exercise and a simple leg exercise at home. Get into a semi squat position. Then leap to one side. Land on the leg whose side you are jumping to and repeat the same on the other side.
4.Plank Crawl: This is a great workout for your abs and is a good back exercise at home. Bring your body to a plank position with your body supported by your toes and your forearms. Then bring the knee on one side to the elbow on the same side. Repeat on the other side. This shifts the weight from one side to the other, giving you great endurance in your arms.
5.Squats: This is one of the best exercises at home for beginners and advanced level training. Start with your feet at the same distance as the shoulders. Then lower the hip as if you are sitting on a chair. Make sure that the knee stays in line with your ankle. Come back to the starting point and repeat.
Image Source: Pinterest
6.Walking lunges: Lunges is a great muscle exercise for legs. It also works on your core. Start with your feet together. Take one big step with your right leg. Then lower the knee of the left leg to the floor. Bring the knee back to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
7.Jump ropes: This is one of the easiest cardio exercises at home. You can begin with a simple set of jump ropes and then move on to more complex arm patterns and types of skipping such as Double Unders.
8. Back extension: Also known as the Superman, this is a great back exercise at home. Lie down face front. Then in one go lift your arms to your ears and your legs in the air as far up as you can. Keep the head straight to get a complete extension in your back. Hold for a few seconds and go back to the initial position.
9. Side plank drops: This is another exercise that works wonders for your arms, core, back, and legs. Start by lying on your side. Line your elbow under the shoulder. Then lift your body up such that the entire weight is supported on the toes and the elbow. Now rise and lower only your hips. Repeat on the other side.
10. Crunches: This is the go to exercise to lose belly fat. With proper expert guidance, developing a strong set of six pack abs too is not far away. Start by lying on your back. Bend your knees and place your hands on your chest or behind your head. Then, pull the belly button back and contract your abs to raise the shoulder blade. Make sure your neck is straight and that you are not using your arms to pull the upper body up. Lower to the starting position and repeat again.
Image Source: healthyweightlossnews.com
How Many Repetitions?
The best way to implement these fitness exercises at home is to train in intervals. Time each workout and start out with 30 seconds. Do as many repetitions in 30 seconds as possible. Then rest for ten seconds and move on to the next. You can repeat this for all ten exercises for about 60 minutes. You can take a 2-5 minute break between each set.
Increase the intensity by increasing the time you perform each exercise for.
Make it more interesting!
When you begin to get used to a routine, you need to make it more interesting by making it harder. For home exercises for weight loss, you can add some resistance to make it more challenging.
- For instance, you can use a weighted bag or dumbbells overhead while performing the squats and lunges.
- Add ankle weights when you are performing the skater jumps. You can even increase the duration of each variation so that you perform more repetitions.
- You can even make it more intense by adding a jump in between a certain variation. For instance, a squat jump instead of regular squats can be a great home exercise for women and home exercise for men. Similarly, adding a jump after you complete both sides of the plank crawl makes it similar to the high-intensity exercise known as a burpee.
How to stay motivated?
- The hardest thing with home exercises to lose weight is to be consistent. Make sure you track your progress by recording your measurements each week.
- Then, you can add some peppy music to your workout time. The best thing that you can do is to find a partner. When you have someone you can share your plan with, you are most likely to stick to it.
- Lastly, keep it interesting. Change the order of the workout. You can also include activities that you like such as swimming or any other sport during the week to keep yourself motivated. Add challenges to the exercises mentioned above to increase your focus and to make yourself feel like you are achieving more with these fitness exercises at home.