Many people try to lose weight by restricting their calories or cutting down their nutritional intake by a staggering amount. While these may work for them in the short term, the results achieved by following diets like these are not sustainable in the long run.
The proper way for you to start on a diet plan for weight loss or to keep your fitness levels up would be to go back to the basics with a balanced diet.
Your body requires a balanced diet to get all the essential nutrients needed to function. Failing to maintain a balanced nutritional intake can cause your body to become prone to complications such as diseases and infections and may even affect your physical performance. An excellent place to start would be to start limiting your consumption of carb foods.
It has been observed that young adults who do not include naturally sourced healthy foods in their daily diet have experienced several developmental and growth related disorders. The lack of a balanced diet is known to evolve into a lifestyle choice that extends into adulthood. As we get older, our body is more prone to life-threatening diseases such as obesity and type-2 diabetes. Not getting sufficient nutrients can significantly boost this process, especially among people who follow poorly constructed weight-loss diets.
A healthy balanced diet must, therefore, include a wide variety of foods that belong to several food groups, such as:
- Fruits: Including at least one fruit a day in your daily diet can help regulate your body’s insulin levels while healthily fulfilling your sugar cravings. Fruits are also an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamins, which help in the growth and development of your body, which is why they are a primary component of the Atkins diet. Try to substitute sugar and junk foods with fruits to develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are a primary source of several essential nutrients and minerals responsible for the maintenance of your immune and adaptive system, making them an essential component of low carb diets. Consuming vegetables not only strengthens your body but also helps fight diseases such as the common cold. Including dark, leafy greens in your daily diet is a start towards becoming a healthier you.
- Grains: You need to choose the right kind of grains to include in your daily diet. While whole grain sources like barley and wheat are a rich source of fibre and protein, refined grains like white rice provide little to no nutritional value. Instead, they are very starchy and full of carbs. This is one of the main reasons why the keto diet plan excludes the consumption of refined grains.
- Dairy: Dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yoghurt are some of the richest, naturally sourced foods with a high nutritional value. With several essential nutrients and minerals such as Vitamin D, calcium, and probiotics, dairy products are essential for developing and growing bones and muscle tissue, especially among children. Lack of these vitamins has also been a significant reason behind the development of diseases like osteoporosis.
- Protein: Animal based sources such as red meat, poultry, and fish are among the most commonly found sources of protein. Proteins are also an essential component of our nutritional intake responsible for maintaining bone density and strength. However, you need to choose the right kind of protein to consume as it has been observed that processed meat is a potential source of diseases like cancer and diabetes. As an alternative, you can opt for natural, unprocessed meat or vegetarian protein sources such as nuts, beans, and legumes, which are also excellent as low carb foods.
Your balanced diet can be best estimated by imagining your nutritional intake for the day as a whole percentage divided into these food groups.
- Allot 50% of your nutritional intake for fruits and vegetables
- 25% of the other half must be filled with whole-grain sources
- The remaining 25% is allotted to lean protein, with dairy on the side.
Additionally, you can also supplement your diet with nutritional supplements such as multivitamin capsules to ensure any deficiencies through your food are met. Try the Healthkart Multivitamin Capsules for everyday good health and vitality, and enjoy the difference.