The right way to take care of your skin involves deep cleansing and nourishment. A facial is a complete package covering all the essential skincare routines like massage, exfoliation, extraction, steaming, and masking. It is not only a beauty treatment but it also energizes your facial skin, making it healthier. How about providing your skin with this care right at the comfort of your home? Apart from saving your time, doing your facial at home can be a great way to help your skin glow naturally. However, before you decide to do a facial at your home, it is important to understand why this treatment is crucial for your skin anyway.
Benefits of Facial
Listed below are some of the major reasons why it is important for you should go for a facial:
- Dead skin removal: Dead skin makes the skin rough and dry by piling up on a layer of newly formed skin. Facials include a process of exfoliation that helps in getting rid of this layer.
- Skin detoxification: A lot of dirt accumulates on our skin on a daily basis which doesn’t simply go away by washing. During the facial, the cleansing happens more deeply and takes the dirt out of the pores, thus preventing acne.
- Anti-aging: Our skin loses its natural glow with age. Along with external factors like pollution and dirt, it is also difficult to grow new skin cells. Hence, facials help in improving the texture and rejuvenating the skin.
- Stress reduction: Facials help get rid of tension and stress and are therefore considered to be one of the most effective skincare treatments.
Steps to do the Best at Home Facial
Skin care treatments are a time-consuming process, and for those who lead a hectic and busy life, here are a few easy tips for doing a facial at home.
1. Face Cleansing
This is a mandatory process, as it is really important to remove dirt and makeup before beginning a facial. Facial wipes or makeup remover can also be used to cleanse your face. A water or oil-based cleanser can also be used after this, depending on your skin type.
Exfoliation makes your skin lustrous. It can be done by using any type of scrub as per your skin type and by gently rubbing it in circular motion over your face and neck. The scrub should then be washed off after at least two minutes by using lukewarm water.
This step is very important, as it improves blood circulation. A simple face massage cream can be used during this process. Start the massage from the middle of your forehead, proceeding to the cheekbones, then to the chin, and finally ending on the jawline with upward strokes. A circular motion can be used on your temples and face muscles. End this step by simply washing your face with water.
Taking steam helps to open your pores and get rid of all the dirt. This step has especially proven beneficial for acne prone skin. One can simply boil water, take it off the gas, lean over the container while covering their head with a towel and take steam for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Face Mask
Masking helps in restoring moisture back into your skin and nourishing it. You can either use a sheet mask or make a facial mask yourself at home. The mask should be equally spread across your neck as well.
6. Toning and Moisturising
This is the final step during a facial. A toner helps to close all the open skin pores. You just need to put some toner on a cotton pad and dab it all over your face and neck. Finally, end the whole process by gently applying a moisturizer using your fingers.
These six steps will thus help you experience the best at home facial with the most promising results.
DIY Facial Products
Here is a list of a few natural facial cleansers, scrubs, masks, toners, and moisturisers that will make your face treatment at home easier than ever.
1. Homemade Facial Cleansers
Tomato and Cucumber Facial Cleanser:
- Make a paste consisting of half cucumber and one small tomato.
- Apply the mixture on your face. Leave it for fifteen minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off with water.
Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanser:
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and dilute it in one-fourth cup of water.
- Massage your face gently like a regular face wash. Wash it off with plain water.
- Rose water can also be added for an extra glow.
2. Homemade Facial Scrubs
- Make a pack by mixing two tablespoons of oatmeal and one tablespoon of both olive oil and milk.
- Apply the mixture all over your face and gently massage it for two to three minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with cold water.
Sugar, Lemon, and Honey Scrub:
- Make a scrub by mixing one cup of sugar, half cup of olive oil, and one tablespoon of honey with lemon juice.
- Apply on your face for five to eight minutes and scrub with your fingers.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Make a paste consisting of half a cup of yogurt, three teaspoons of coffee, and one teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture and scrub for eight to ten minutes in upward circular motion.
- Finally, wash with cold water.
3. Homemade Facial Masks
Avocado and Yogurt Mask:
- Mix one mashed avocado along with two tablespoons of yogurt and one tablespoon of both honey and olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck. Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Rinse it off using cold water.
Oatmeal and Raw Egg Mask:
- Make a paste consisting of half a cup of cooked oatmeal, one raw egg and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply it on your face and leave it to dry for fifteen minutes.
- Wipe it off using a damp cloth.
Papaya and Aloe Vera Mask:
- Use one tablespoon mashed papaya and one tablespoon aloe vera gel to make a mixture.
- Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes after application on your face.
- Wash it off with cold water.
4. Homemade Facial Toners
Rose Water Toner:
- Add five to six rose petals to one cup of boiling water.
- Let it boil for about eight minutes.
- Cool the liquid and apply it on your face and neck.
Coconut Water and Milk Toner:
- Mix one cup of coconut water along with half a cup of milk.
- Pour it in a bottle and cool it in the fridge.
- Gently apply it on your skin using a cotton ball.
5. Homemade Facial Moisturisers
Coconut Oil Moisturiser:
- Begin by melting half a cup of organic coconut oil.
- Add one teaspoon of liquid vitamin E and 12 drops of essential lavender oil.
- Apply on your skin to prevent it from drying and cracking.
Shea Butter Moisturiser:
- Melt ¼ cup of both cocoa butter and shea butter for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- After cooling down, once the mixture solidifies, apply it on your skin.
Side-Effects of Facial
Even though facials can be highly beneficial, they can also cause a lot of damage to your skin. Listed below are the lesser-known side effects of facials:
- Redness and irritation
- Disrupts the pH balance of your skin.
Essential Tips for Skincare
Here are a few tips you’d need to keep your skin naturally healthy and glowing:
- Having a balanced diet and exercising frequently.
- Daily application of a water-resistant sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30.
- Including cleansing and moisturizing in your daily at-home skincare regimen.
- Avoiding alcohol and smoking.
- Managing stress levels.
- Visiting a dermatologist for extra guidance.
A homemade facial helps your skin to look fresh and healthy and fight acne and breakouts. A facial at home not only helps to improve your skin but also induces relaxation. Thus, one should opt for these easy and natural facials at home at least once a month in order to have flawless skin.