A lot of fitness enthusiasts are turning to peanut butter as a healthy and tasty way to make their diet more nutritious. It is also believed that peanut butter is great for weight management. However, the fact is that peanut butter contains a high amount of calories per serving. So, is peanut butter good to lose weight? How does it help? Let us find out.
What Is Peanut Butter Made Of?
Peanut butter is made with roasted peanuts that are ground to make either creamy or crunchy butter. Creamy peanut butter is made by grinding the peanuts into a fine paste while the crunchy variety retains small chunks of the peanuts.
No matter what variety you choose, peanut butter nutrition remains the same. This delicious butter is loaded with natural peanut proteins, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids. The newer varieties that are specifically formulated for fitness enthusiasts are also fortified with essential vitamins and minerals to help improve the results.
How Peanut Butter Benefits Weight Loss Efforts
Assuming that peanut butter calories per serving would be very high, most people do not associate it with weight loss. However, peanut butter benefits weight loss significantly and to the surprise of many, peanut butter for weight loss is a common suggestion by most dieticians. So, let us understand, is peanut butter good to lose weight and how?
- Peanut Butter Keeps Your Feeling Fuller For Longer: This is one of the most important benefits of peanut butter for weight loss. The high fibre and protein content in peanut butter keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Normally, when you are on a low-calorie diet, you feel the impulse to eat foods that are rich in fat and sugar. Including peanut butter in between meals or along with your meals gives you the best peanut butter benefits for weight loss as it gives you that feeling of being full. This helps you control your food cravings and makes your weight loss plan a lot more efficient.
- It prevents your blood sugar from spiking: When you eat foods that are highly processed or rich in starch, your blood sugar spikes instantly. This is linked with health issues like diabetes and obesity. However, despite the natural sweetness of peanut butter, it has a very low glycemic index. But, how are peanuts good for weight loss? They give you a delicious source of protein, healthy fats and protein without causing high fluctuations in your blood sugar levels. Studies show that just eating one tablespoon of peanut butter can stabilize the glycemic index of an entire meal.
- It keeps your energy levels high: Most of the peanut butter calories come from clean sources like protein and fiber. This means that the calories derived from these sources are actually used up by the body for its metabolic functions. This helps you feel energized instantly. Additionally, the fibre content of peanut butter improves the digestion and assimilation of important nutrients. This helps boost your performance overall.
Besides the many benefits of peanut butter for weight loss, here other advantages of including it in your diet:
- Despite offering 588 peanut butter calories per 100grams, this delicious spread contains 0% cholesterol and offers 27% fibre.
- Each 100 gram serving of peanut butter contains 50% protein, thus making it a great aid for muscle recovery post a strenuous training regime.
- Peanuts are loaded with many vitamins and minerals including folates, copper and B vitamins that give you added health benefits.
- Among the many peanut butter benefits are the healthy fats present in it, which reduce the risk of heart diseases by maintaining healthy cholesterol levels in the body.
- The low glycemic index of peanut butter is also linked with stable blood sugar levels and a lower risk of diabetes.
- Peanut butter is the perfect addition to your pre-workout and post-work meals. The high-calorie content energises you before your workout while the high protein content helps your muscles get into recovery mode instantly after your workout.
Choosing the Best Peanut Butter
The above-mentioned benefits can only be experienced when you choose the right peanut butter for weight loss. There are several products in the market that are loaded with preservatives and unhealthy ingredients that are added with the sole purpose of improving the taste.
The good news is that you can enjoy all the peanut butter benefits as well as great taste when you find the right product. Here are some tips to help you choose the right one:
- Avoid products with added sugar and salt: Most peanut butter brands add salt and sugar to improve the taste of the product. These are sources of empty calories that you should avoid when it comes to a weight loss diet. Salt can also cause bloating when consumed in higher quantities. Look for products that ensure zero added sugar. These products give you the natural sweetness of peanut butter which is just as delicious.
- Opt for products made with natural peanuts: To get maximum value for the peanut butter price you pay, look for products that are made with natural, real peanuts. There is a simple way to identify these products. If you see a thin layer of oil on the surface of your peanut butter container, then it means that the product is 100% natural and is the best peanut butter variety to pick from. While consuming this peanut butter, all you have to do is mix it in with the peanut butter.
How to Use Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is one of the most versatile products to include in your weight loss diet. You can mix it into your protein shakes and other beverages to add a beautiful texture to it and increase its nutritional value.
The simplest option is to spread a dollop of peanut butter on multigrain bread to prepare a healthy breakfast. You can also add it to baked goodies to make them healthier and tastier.
Peanut butter is, undoubtedly, a valuable addition to healthy eating. Not only is it healthy, it is also tasty. This makes it easier for you to follow a strict nutritional plan as you do not feel cravings for unhealthy foods.
HealthKart brings to a wide range of peanut butter from leading sports nutrition brands. Get the best peanut butter price on premium products that are specifically formulated to help you stay on track with your fitness and weight loss goals.