Passion fruit is a nutritious tropical fruit, which is fast gaining popularity among people who are conscious about health and weight. More than the fruit it is its effectiveness in helping shed the extra kilos that is drawing attention. As a result, several passion fruit recipes are doing the rounds and we could not help but share some of them with you.
A native to Brazil and known as Granadillo Parcha or Parchita, this big yellow or dark purple berry is just about the size of a golf ball. It has a tough rind on the outside but inside it contains softer pouches of transparent yellow pulp which further contains round edible black seeds. Known to be an exotic fruit in India, passion fruit is loved for its tart flavour and the slightly peppery taste of the seeds. You can eat it raw or simply juice it up to enjoy its amazing benefits.
Passion Fruit for Weight Loss and Other Health Benefits
Passion fruit for weight loss has some of the following qualities that are this fruit’s greatest benefits:
- The fruit is rich in magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, and fibre.
- Passion fruit is also rich in vitamin E which along with other antioxidants, help reduce joint pains and helps one to exercise without soreness. It also helps improve our body’s general metabolic functions.
- A single passion fruit contains about 50 calories only. This makes it an ideal weight loss fruit. It can easily substitute other foods for weight-conscious people.
- Almost one-third of the passion fruit is fibre. This helps lower the cholesterol levels and regulate the blood and sugar levels in the body. It also helps clean out the colon.
- Passion fruit contains enzymes too, which aid in digestion and thus making the detoxification and elimination processes more effective.
- This fruit also contains antioxidants that help fight cellulite and dissolve fat deposits. It also helps the skin bounce back from extreme weight loss.
Passion Fruit Recipes for Weight Loss
Here are some of the best passion fruit recipes one can try to enjoy this fruit and its various benefits that promote weight loss:
1. Passion Fruit Smoothie
You can lose weight by drinking a passion fruit smoothie for two meals a day. It’s worth noting that by adapting to this method you will be replacing a meal of 700 to 1200 calories with a smoothie of just 300 calories or less.
A. Watermelon, cucumber, and passion fruit smoothie
This is a diuretic drink that reduces bloating and abdominal fat. Light, fresh and delicious, this is an easy-to-make smoothie that offers 80 calories per serving.
- Chopped cucumber – 1 cup
- Chopped watermelon – 1 cup
- Pulp of two passion fruits
- Ice – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Dash of vanilla
Mix all the ingredients in a blender until icy and smooth.
B. Beet, lemon fruit, and passion fruit smoothie
This is a delicious smoothie. Since beets contain nitrates which enhance stamina, they improve exercise performance. This smoothie offers 87 calories per serving.
- Cooked and peeled beets – 2
- Unsweetened coconut water – 2 cups
- Pulp of passion fruits – 2
- Freshly squeezed lemon – ¼ cup
- Any sweetener – add just to suit your taste.
Mix all the above ingredients (except sweetener) in a blender until smooth. The sweetener can be now added to suit the taste and stirred well before consuming the smoothie.
C. Sweet cherry, pineapple, and passion fruit smoothie
This smoothie offers 90 calories per serving.
- Coconut water – 1 cup
- Fresh or frozen pineapple – ½ cup
- Fresh or frozen sweet cherries – ½ cup
- Pulp of passion fruit – 1
- Ice – 1 cup
Mix all the above ingredients in a blender until frosty and smooth. This smoothie has just no fats and the fruits in it are beneficial for digestion. It helps the intestines to eliminate all the toxins.
D. Kiwi, spinach, and passion fruit smoothie
This smoothie is very high in vitamin C and iron thus keeping you energetic while you are on a limited calorie diet. Super nourishing and energising, this smoothie offers 124 calories per serving.
- Chopped kiwis – 2 whole
- Packed spinach – 1 cup
- Pulp of passion fruits – 2 small
- Plain greek yoghurt – 1 cup
- Sprinklings of pumpkin seeds
- Ice – 1 cup
- Blend the two kiwis together. Then put all the ingredients (except pumpkin seeds) and blend until smooth.
- Now it’s ready to be served with sprinklings of pumpkin seeds on top.
2. Passion Fruit Salad Dressing
This dressing is quick and easy to make and is a great addition to any salad of your choice. Here is an easy way to prepare it and keep it ready in advance.
- 2 passion fruits ( or ½ cup puree )
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tbsp salt
- Cut the passion fruit into halves.
- Scrape the pulp and seeds into a saucepan.
- Heat the pulp over medium-low flame.
- Stir it frequently.
- Heat the pulp to almost boiling, then remove from heat.
- Strain the pulp through a fine sieve.
- Discard the seeds and let the juice cool.
- Blend the fruit juice, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey, and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Store the salad dressing in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Always stir or shake well before using.
Passion fruit is a nutritious tropical fruit. It’s very high in vitamins & minerals and is quite low in calories. Its nutritive quality makes it great for weight loss and protection against various ailments like cardiovascular disease. Make sure you follow the passion fruit recipes discussed above and make your fitness journey smooth.