Having a double chin is often considered a physical flaw. When a layer of fat forms under your chin, it is commonly known as a double chin. Even though a double chin is often related to weight gain, you don’t necessarily have to be overweight in order to have one. Old age, loose skin, or genetics might also lead to this problem. If you are wondering how to reduce double chin, this is the right place for you.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin?
The list below consists of exercises that help in toning and strengthening the skin and muscles in and around the double chin. It is advised to repeat the following exercises 10 to 15 times a day in order to achieve the best results.
- Lower Jaw Jut/Push
This can be easily done by tilting your head back and looking at the ceiling. Next push your chin forward, feel the stretch and hold it for 10 seconds. Relax your jaw and repeat. You can also do this exercise by moving your jaw forward and backward for 10 times.
- Pucker Up
All you need to do is look towards the ceiling and pucker your lips. This stretches the area under your chin and helps in reducing the double chin.
- Fish Face
Pouting and making a fish face is effective when you want to get rid of your double chin. All you need to do is suck your cheeks in and hold the pose for 30 seconds.
This is a very easy exercise and can be done by following a few simple steps. Sit and look straight. Put your fingers at the nape of your neck and stroke in a downward motion. Tilt your head backwards simultaneously and then bend your neck in order to touch your chest with your chin.
- Tongue Stretch
Sit with your head and back straight. Stick out your tongue and stretch as much as possible. Next, point your tongue upwards and try to touch your nose with it.
- Tongue Press
Look at the ceiling while tilting your head back. Press and hold your tongue against the roof of your mouth for around 10 seconds.
Apart from these six basic exercises, you can also resort to chewing gum as it helps to reduce double chin fat and tone the lower jaw.
Dietary Changes to Help Reduce Double Chin
Double chin, in most cases, is caused due to weight gain. In order to get rid of that, it is essential to lose excess weight. Weight loss can be brought about by exercising regularly and controlling what you eat. Here are a few tips that will answer your question “how to reduce double chin”:
- Eat ample fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
- Avoid processed and fried foods. Try to eat organically grown products.
- Make an effort to consume whole grains instead of refined ones.
- Try to control your portion of food.
- Reduce intake of excessive sugar and salt.
- Lean protein like fish and poultry must be included in your diet.
- Try to indulge in healthy fats like nuts and olive oil.
- Try to eat low fat dairy products only.
Along with a change in your diet, you must also exercise on a regular basis in order to get rid of your double chin.
Cosmetic Treatments for Double Chin Removal
In some cases, a double chin might even appear due to genetics. In this case, you cannot exercise or change your diet in order to get rid of it. However, there are a few treatments that you can opt for with the advice of your doctor. The procedures are stated below:
- Lipolysis: this uses liposuction to melt the fat from within and contour the skin. A few side effects of this procedure may include pain, swelling, and bruising.
- Mesotherapy: in this procedure, small amounts of fat-dissolving compounds are injected through a series of 20 or more injections per treatment. If injected improperly, the fat dissolving compound, deoxycholic acid, might severely damage nerves. The side effects of this treatment include redness, pain, numbness, bruising, and swelling.
It is difficult to reduce your double chin overnight. It needs patience and perseverance. The best option is to follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly. However, if this does not work out in your favour, make sure to consult a dermatologist before going in for a cosmetic procedure.