Summers are usually fun, but not as much for your hair health. Excessive heat makes hair dry, weak, and brittle; while sweat and humidity rob all the shine and lustre making your crowning glory a clumpy mess. If you want to take good care of your hair during the summer months, it is best to focus on something beyond the cosmetic applications. One of the easiest ways to counter hair health issues is to focus on your daily nutritional intake, primarily consuming foods rich in biotin — a nutrient responsible for the maintenance and growth of our hair.
Excessive sweat from the scalp combined with regular exposure to dirt and pollution leads to many hair issues during the summer months. These include dandruff, itchiness, scalp infections, hairfall, split ends, and frizziness.
Biotin helps stimulate hair follicles and improves blood circulation, reducing the risk of developing these complications. You can either consume food sources that help you meet your daily biotin requirement or start consuming a reliable biotin supplement such as the HealthKart Biotin tablets. It is ideal to do both.
Tips for Hair Care During Summers
Here are a few things that you can take care of this summer to make sure that you maintain a beautiful mane:
- Always remember to keep your hair covered whenever you step out in the scorching heat. A scarf, cap, or hat will protect your hair from pollutants, dirt, and the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Always make sure to research your hair and scalp type before selecting the products you want to use. If your hair is colored you need to use a colour protect shampoo.
- Develop a weekly hair care regime. Here is what you can do –
- Regular oiling once a week
- Application of a nourishing hair pack half an hour before hair wash
- Hair wash twice a week using a natural and deeply moisturizing shampoo
- Condition afterwards to lend a protective and hydrating layer to your hair. But remember to condition only the hair and not the roots or scalp as it may lead to hair fall.
- While washing avoid excessive use of shampoo and never rub or scrub your scalp too much.
- In addition, focus on your diet and consume biotin supplements regularly to help your hair stay healthy and strong.
- Protecting your hair extends well beyond using grow hair tablets. Look for some home remedies that offer deep conditioning and nourishment to your hair without exposing it to chemicals.
- Hair masks made from curd and aloe vera gel work very well to keep the scalp nourished and hydrated during summers. It also straightens and smoothes your hair keeping frizziness at bay.
- Giving your hair a last rinse post headwash with a cup of lemon water lends that extra shine to hair besides keeping them conditioned and dandruff free.
- It is also important not to wash your hair too often as it ends up reducing the natural oil in the scalp leading to dry, frizzy, and brittle hair. This leaves the hair unmanageable and prone to external damage.
- Avoid using sulphate or paraben based shampoos, as they dry up your hair to the point that you could possibly experience excessive hair fall.
- When frequently washing hair, try to use natural shampoos like amla and shikakai based products or simply wash with cold water to cool off the scalp.
- Never use appliances like the curling iron or the straightener on your hair if you wish to maintain the health of your strands. Such practices damage the hair even further. During summers when hair are dry and frizzy they end up breaking easily with such practices.
- Eating right is as important as external applications. Your food affects your hormonal balance which in turn can also lead to hair fall if there is an imbalance. For healthy hair, eat foods rich in proteins, biotins, iron, vitamin A and C.
Foods Rich in Biotin
Biotin or Vitamin B7 is really helpful when it comes to your hair. It is a rich source of keratin that is needed to strengthen the hair. Biotin also helps to keep your hair follicles healthy and inflammation free.
Here are some foods rich in biotin that you can consume during summers to maintain your hair and skin health –
- Egg Yolks
- Pulses and legumes like – rajma, chana, green grams etc.
- Sweet potatoes
- Nuts and seeds
In addition, spinach, fatty fish, berries, and avocados are a few other foods that help boost hair health. Try the HealthKart Biotin tablets for additional support to maintain a healthy crowning glory.