Summers are usually fun, but not as much for your hair health. Excessive heat makes hair dry, weak, and brittle; while sweat and humidity rob all the shine and lustre making your crowning glory a clumpy mess. If you want to take good care of your hair during the summer months, it is best to focus on something beyond the cosmetic applications. One of the easiest ways to counter hair health issues is to focus on your daily nutritional intake, primarily consuming foods rich in biotin — a nutrient responsible for the maintenance and growth of our hair. Moreover, it is important to have a healthy hair care routine.
9 Tips for Hair Care Routine During Summers
Here are a few hair care tips that you can follow this summer to make sure that you maintain a beautiful mane:
- Always remember to keep your hair covered whenever you step out in the scorching heat. A scarf, cap, or hat will protect your hair from pollutants, dirt, and the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Make sure to research your hair and scalp type before selecting the products you want to use. If your hair is coloured you need to use a colour protect shampoo as part of your hair care routine.
- Develop a weekly hair care regime by oiling your hair once a week, applying hair pack before hair wash, washing your hair twice a week, conditioning your hair (avoid conditioning roots/scalp as it may lead to hair fall), and having a healthy diet containing biotin food sources or supplements.
- Protecting your hair goes beyond using hair growth tablets. Look for some home remedies or at home hair care tips that offer deep conditioning and nourishment to your hair without exposing it to chemicals. These remedies include hair masks made from curd and aloe vera gel to keep your scalp nourished and hydrated during summers and keep frizziness at bay.
- It is also important not to wash your hair too often as it ends up reducing the natural oil in the scalp, leading to dry, frizzy, and brittle hair. This leaves the hair unmanageable and prone to external damage.
- Avoid using sulphate or paraben based shampoos, as they dry up your hair to the point that you could possibly experience excessive hair fall.
- When frequently washing hair, try to use natural shampoos like amla and shikakai based products or simply wash with cold water to cool off the scalp.
- Never use appliances like the curling iron or the straightener on your hair if you wish to maintain the health of your strands. Such practices damage the hair even further. During summers when hair are dry and frizzy they end up breaking easily with such practices.
- Eating right is as important as a hair care routine for hair growth. Your food affects your hormonal balance which in turn can also lead to hair fall if there is an imbalance. For healthy hair, eat foods rich in proteins; biotins; iron; and vitamins A, D, and C.
Foods Rich in Biotin
Other than following hair care tips at home, you can also focus on the nutrition aspect to have healthy hair. Biotin or Vitamin B7 is really helpful when it comes to your hair. It promotes the structure of keratin – an essential component of hair and is needed to strengthen the hair. Biotin also helps to keep your hair follicles healthy.
Here are some foods rich in biotin that you can consume during summers to maintain your hair and skin health –
- Egg Yolks
- Pulses and legumes like – rajma, chana, green grams etc.
- Sweet potatoes
- Nuts and seeds
In addition, spinach, fatty fish, berries, and avocados are a few other foods that help boost hair health.
Taking care of your hair during the summer isn’t much of a task if you do it right. Sticking to a hair care routine and healthy diet will contribute immensely towards maintaining healthy hair. Keep the above-mentioned tips in mind to ensure the summer season doesn’t go harsh on your hair. You should also take care of your health in Summer, many problems may occur due to health issues.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hair Care Routine In Summer
A good hair care routine consists of the following:
- Washing oily hair more frequently
- Shampoo on scalp and conditioner on strands
- Products suitable to your hair type
- Always use conditioner after using a shampoo on your hair
- Protect your hair from chlorine water while swimming
There are multiple ways to take care of your hair at home:
- Use masks made using common ingredients such as curd or aloe vera gel
- Oil your hair regularly using coconut or olive oil
- Avoid washing your hair with hot water since it may lead to washing out of the essential protective oils and may also result in dandruff
A solution or mixture of leave-in conditioner, water, and oil (or emollient) can be sprayed or spritzed on your hair on a daily basis.