Joint pain interferes with your daily routine and pain relievers only dull pain, not cure it. Learn how to get relief from joint pain naturally.
Knee pain is the most common joint pain followed by shoulder and hip joint pain. Joint pain usually result from extra weight, overuse, poor form during physical activity, not warming up or cooling down enough before an intensive regimen of physical activity and osteoarthritis, a condition in which knee cartilage wears down. In elderly, arthritis causes the swelling around joints making them tender and painful. In sports persons and fitness enthusiasts, strenuous workouts and heavy lifting lead to sore and achy joints.
Joint pain interferes with the quality of life. An acute joint pain, resulting from sprains and strain goes away in a few weeks, whereas a chronic joint pain lasts for months. Typically, medicines for joint pain are an over the counter pain relievers or prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. In the short term, side effects of joint painkillers abuse are vomiting and diarrhea and the long run it harms your kidneys.
While pain killers only numb the sensation of the pain, herbal remedies for joint pain gently treat it by eliminating wastes and toxins from the body. Ayurveda believes that ama or toxins circulating in the blood stream cause inflammation of joints. The herbal treatment for joint pain works on supporting the natural cleansing function of kidneys, large intestines and help in lymph drainage to reduce swelling and pain of affected joints. Moreover, food supplement, like flax seed is good for your joints as it helps build immunity, lubricates joints and prevents inflammation.
While most of us know that good old turmeric (curcuma longa) helps reduce swelling and pain of joints and works as an effective pain reliever, there are other herbs that have received glowing recommendation from Ayurveda. Better than painkillers and free from side effects these natural remedies gently relieve pain and improve flexibility of swollen and painful joints, thereby greatly improving quality of life.
- Shallaki (Boswellia Serrata) is a proven, effective herbal remedy for joint pain. It acts a natural anti-inflammatory agent and relieves stiffness of painful joints and muscle tissues. It is also useful in treating osteoarthritis and lower back pain.
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) is widely used in traditional medicine to heal rheumatoid arthritis and other joint concerns. The poultice made from leaves of this plant helps relieve swelling and pain of joints.
- Guggulu (Commiphora Mukul) has been clinically proven to provide relief from joint pain. Fortified with antioxidants, guggulu fights inflammation and reduces pain due to arthritis.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is also known as Indian ginseng and is a potent antioxidant. Since time immemorial it has been used to treat painful joints.
- Zingiber officinale (ginger) has been used for centuries in traditional Asian medicine for treating joint pain. Clinical studies have found that ginger helps switch off inflammatory genes and is more helpful than conventional painkillers to treat joint pain.
Regular exercises leading a healthy lifestyle keeping your weight under control and treating underlying disorders that affect the joint can delay the onset of joint degeneration.