People who go to the gym require a more refined and richer nutritional intake than the average person. In addition to micronutrients such as zinc, potassium, and magnesium, they also need macronutrients such as carbs, lean proteins, and healthy fats in order to support their elevated levels of physical activity. This is why more and more gym-goers are opting for peanut butter as a staple component of their daily nutritional intake.
Peanut butter is one of the most commonly consumed nut butter on the planet and is a favourite among kids and adults alike. It is manufactured by incorporating roasted peanuts with certain sugars and oils that enhance its flavor profile. A single, two-tablespoons serving of peanut butter contains about 8 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat, and 10 grams of fiber while clocking in at 188 calories.
Let us understand more about why peanut butter is a popular nutritional addition among bodybuilders and gym-goers.
Peanut Butter Benefits
Bodybuilders enjoy several peanut butter uses with regular consumption. These are:
- Reduces Oxidative Stress: Aside from being a rich source of several micronutrients, peanut butter is also high in antioxidants such as p-coumaric acid, which helps in reducing the oxidative stress exerted on your muscles. This helps in reducing the soreness and muscle pains experienced by most bodybuilders after intense workouts.
- Ideal Pre Workout Snack: Most pre-workout foods for bodybuilders are also high in carbs. As a result, they often cause fluctuations in the body’s fat levels. Peanut butter is a healthy alternative in such cases as it contains only 20% carbs, which makes it easy for gym-goers to get their protein intake without having to burn excess carbs.
- Faster Protein Absorption: Studies have linked the energy-burning levels during a workout to the protein intake of the bodybuilders pre-workout. Peanut butter proteins have been shown to be absorbed at a faster rate, which also helped in inhibiting cortisol levels throughout the day. Adding a spoon of peanut butter to your pre-workout shake can help you power through your entire set with great ease.
- Aids Muscle Mass And Maintenance: Various studies and surveys have concluded that adding peanut butter to your pre-workout mix helped in the better release of amino acids and protein. These amino acids were proven beneficial in reducing the lactic acid build-up in muscles and repairing the damage exerted on the tissues during a workout.
- High Caloric Intake: Most bodybuilders and gym-goers require upwards of 3000 calories per day to support the strenuous loads that they take on. While this requires them to have a bigger nutritional intake, they often end up consuming empty foods that have little to no actual nutritional value. Owing to high peanut butter calories (550-600 calories/serve of 100 gms) and micronutrient value, it makes an excellent nutritional supplement as well as a gym snack.
- Managing Blood Sugar Levels: Various studies have shown that the consumption of peanut butter helps in improving insulin resistance and managing blood sugar levels, especially among bodybuilders. Consuming peanut butter as a pre-workout snack was also found to be beneficial in dealing with hunger pangs and insulin spikes, which were responsible for mood swings, depression, and anxiety.
- Reduces Stress: Gym-goers often overexert themselves with strenuous physical activity and have to face increased stress and anxiety levels. Various clinical trials have shown that the consumption of peanut butter was beneficial in increasing the secretion of beta-sitosterol, a plant sterol that is essential for balancing out the stressful hormones released by the body under high-pressure conditions. Studies have also linked increased levels of beta-sitosterol with better functioning of the immune system.
While consuming peanut butter is beneficial for boosting the quality of your workouts, overdoing it can be adversarial for your health, causing complications such as obesity and fatigue.
It is also important to choose your product with great care. Several brands incorporate added sugar and hydrogenated oils (a harmful type of trans fats) in their products to maintain a semi-liquid composition. This can cause health complications such as diabetes and heart disease. Instead, opt for healthier alternatives such as organic peanut butter which is safe for both you and the environment. You can find some of the best peanut butter in India on www.healthkart.com. Explore to buy your favourite brand and variant today.