|Retinol benefits for skin|
|Using Retinol Face Creams|
|Using Retinoic acid cream|
|Retinol for sensitive skin|
Skin issues can become a concern at any stage of life. As teenagers, a major concern is acne, sunburns, texture, and uniformity of skin tone, besides allergies. As age advances, the concern is more about fine lines and pigmentation. One pivotal ingredient that is drawing significant attention is retinol. Thanks to their excellent properties that help in skin damage management, Retinoids for skin are fast gaining popularity.
Although retinol benefits for skin were earlier thought to be only for ageing skin, we now know that it is an effective treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, besides offering some other amazing benefits as well. Read on to learn more.
Retinol benefits for skin
Before trying any skincare treatment, it is better to understand the methods and benefits of the product. Retinol is the strongest form of Retinoid, a derivative of Vitamin A. Skincare products with retinol have several benefits when used in the right quantity.
The following are some of the best retinol benefits for skin:
- Delaying fine lines and wrinkles
Including retinoids in your regular skincare routine will defer the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, and prevent premature ageing. To obtain the maximum benefit of retinoids for skin, you should use them in the right quantity. Overuse of the product can cause side effects like redness of the skin, irritation, and dryness of the skin.
Retinol is more effective when combined with exfoliating and hydrating serums, moisturisers, and sunscreen lotions.
- Enhancing collagen production
Retinoids help maintain skin elasticity and keep the skin looking hydrated and supple. They also aid in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles further.
- Improving skin tone and texture
They also boost the production of new blood vessels in the skin to improve the colour of the skin. Retinoids also help in masking the age spots and preventing skin patches.
- Treating acne
Retinol is derived from Vitamin A and is a content in most anti-ageing creams. While it is very effective in diminishing fine lines and wrinkles, retinol for acne is equally effective.
It helps reduce acne and acne spots. Constant application of retinol peels off the surface layer of the skin and removes dirt, oil and dead cells from the pores. This prevents the formation of pimples or acne.
Following are the retinol skincare products that can be incorporated into your skincare regimen to obtain maximum benefit.
Using Retinol Face Creams
If you want to flaunt flawless youthful skin, a retinol skin care regimen is highly recommended for the simple reason that this Vitamin-A derivative delays all the skin ageing signs, prevents acne and acne spots while making the skin smooth and spotless.
- Retinol face creams when spread on the skin, unclog the pores and remove dirt, oil and dead skin cells from the pores. This prevents the outbreak of acne and the appearance of acne spots.
- Application of retinol face cream will result in constant peeling of the upper layers of the skin. The benefit will be the prevention of acne, acne spots, wrinkles, fine lines, clogging of pores and black and whiteheads. The end result will be smooth textured, flawless, and glowing skin.
- Choice of the right retinol face cream is highly essential for optimising the efficacy of retinol. Since retinol tends to dehydrate the skin, it is recommended to use a retinol face cream that is combined with moisturising agents like shea butter or ceramides.
- Retinol should always be used with a moisturiser and sunscreen lotion, as the application of retinol alone can cause skin irritation and discoloration on constant usage.
Using Retinoic acid cream
Retinoic acid otherwise known as Tretinoin is a synthetic form of Vitamin A and also belongs to the Retinoids group. It is stronger than retinol and should be used only if prescribed by a dermatologist.
- Retinoic acid cream is an acne-buster.
- It also helps in repairing the skin damaged by sun.
- It is known to delay the onset of fine lines and wrinkles, improving the skin tone and texture.
- Retinoic acid cream, when used regularly, shows improvement within a maximum of 6 weeks.
Both retinol face cream and retinoic acid cream should be used only after removing all the make-up and thoroughly cleansing the skin with a cleanser. The creams should be applied after 20 to 30 minutes of cleansing. The creams should be spread evenly until entirely absorbed into the skin.
To avail the best benefit of any product, usage in moderation is necessary. Using too much of the retinoid products with an intention to gain the benefit faster will be a bad idea as it will lead to adverse effects like irritation, skin dehydration and redness.
Retinol for sensitive skin
Using Retinoids for skin alone will not prove to be helpful;. If you are solely following the retinol skincare regimen, you may end up having skin sensitivity issues. So, it is advised to include products that protect the skin from environmental hazards like pollution and UV rays in your skincare regimen along with retinol products for optimum results.
Persons with sensitive skin tend to have side effects even with skincare products with the mildest ingredients. Retinol, the purest form of Vitamin A, is considered to be the safest for skincare and can be recommended for all skin types. Still, people with sensitive skin should go slow on the usage of retinol for skin care as retinol can cause irritation of the skin in some cases.
Retinol for sensitive skin can help if the following tips are kept in mind before using retinol for skincare.
- Use a retinol face cream that is combined with moisturisers like shea butter or ceramides.
- Cleanse the face thoroughly with a cleanser for 20 to 30 minutes before applying the retinol face cream.
- Go for a gentler version in the beginning to prepare your skin for a stronger version.
- Treating your skin with retinol alone can have an adverse effect on your skin, especially if your skin is sensitive. To reduce the sensitivity of retinol on your skin, hydration of the skin with a moisturiser is a must. Moisturising the skin before applying retinol face cream will not reduce the efficacy of retinol.
Using Retinoids for skin is the safest treatment to prevent acne breakdown, wrinkles, and fine lines. They help you get a smooth and even-toned skin. When used as recommended and in combination with moisturisers and hydrating serums, retinoids give the best results. However, if you intend to use products with retinoic acid that is stronger than retinol, it is advised to consult a dermatologist before use.