|Reasons to Add Seafood to Bulking Diet|
|Choosing the Best Seafood and Preparing It|
|Other Popular Options in Seafood for Bulking|
|Where Can I Buy Good Seafood?|
|How do I Know if the Fish is Fresh?|
|How to Store Seafood?|
Seafood makes up about 15% of the world’s protein intake and is part of several scrumptious cuisines. It mainly consists of food obtained from aquatic animals, belonging to both freshwater and the ocean. Its largely consumed varieties include different kinds of fishes, lobsters, clams, oysters, prawns, and crabs. When they are fresh, they can be prepared in many ways and their naturally contained protein can serve as a perfect addition to your bulking process!
Reasons to Add Seafood to Bulking Diet
Here are some reasons why you need to include seafood in your bulking diet:
- A large number of healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids) are contained in fish. Seafood contains all essential amino acids that are good for the body without any negative side effects. This is one of the main reasons why bodybuilders prefer to eat fish daily.
- Its rich mineral content helps strengthen the immune system, especially during harsh training phases. Minerals like iodine and selenium are actively present in these foods.
- Unlike preserved vegetables and fruits that lose most of their nutritional quality when packed with preservatives and in plastic packages, local markets have fresh seafood available daily for you to purchase.
- Seafood is also mostly inexpensive and budget-friendly.
- Fresh seafood can keep you energetic and help you feel full for longer periods of time.
Choosing the Best Seafood and Preparing It
Seafood can be a tricky dish to master, especially when you have to be aware of its benefits, disadvantages like mercury levels, and even how to cook it. Given below is a comprehensive guide for choosing the best fresh seafood and its preparation:
It is among the cheapest fish available at the seafood market. It has 19 gm of protein for every 100 gm. Its mild taste makes it a favourite among those who do not enjoy the distinct smell. However, it is recommended to not pre-heat or keep it in the refrigerator, as it is best consumed fresh.
Dishes you can prepare with pollock:
- Baked pollock seasoned with cheddar, herbs, and breadcrumbs with a side of broccoli
- Grilled pollock with lemon seasoning and asparagus rice
- Pan-frying pollock with a side of lentils
- The Mediterranean baked pollock with feta and potatoes
They are a type of seafood mainly sold canned. This gives them the advantage of remaining fresh for days while providing both protein and healthy fats. A tip to follow when purchasing sardines is to pick the ones packed in water and not oil.
Dishes you can prepare with sardines:
- Barbequed sardines in chermoula sauce
- Sardine pasta
- Grilled sardines on a toast seasoned with cheese and herbs
- Sicilian stuffed sardines
Sustained with fat, omega-3 and its inflammation reduction properties, salmon is a suitable choice of seafood for those looking to bulk. It can be found canned but it is recommended to purchase salmon fresh from the local market. It is extremely easy to cook too.
Dishes you can prepare with salmon:
- Garlic and butter baked salmon
- Coconut curry salmon
- Barbequed grilled Asian salmon
- Broiled salmon with lemons
This is a fantastic choice for those who are new to consuming seafood. Fish can often taste different and flakier than other meat, making it an acquired taste. However, swordfish has the most similar texture to meat with a mild smell. It also has a good amount of fat and proteins required for bulking.
Dishes you can prepare with swordfish:
- Lemon and oregano marinade grilled swordfish
- Blueberry balsamic grilled swordfish
- Asparagus baked swordfish
- Ginger garlic pan-roasted swordfish
Anchovy is widely used in Vietnamese and Korean cultures as the main source of protein and fats. Rich in omega-3 and flavour, it is easily paired with simple combinations. You can cook it the traditional Asian way or prepare it to your ease and taste.
Dishes you can prepare with anchovy:
- Tuna Caesar salad with anchovies
- Anchovy crumbs with baked pollock
- Courgette and anchovy infused salad
- Baked anchovy seasoned in herbs and olive oil
Other Popular Options in Seafood for Bulking
Some other recommendations that guarantee to help you bulk are:
- Pacific Halibut
- Rainbow trout
- Sea Bass
Where Can I Buy Good Seafood?
While grocery stores keep good quality, canned and tinned seafood, it can be expensive and not as high in dietary nutrition as fresh seafood. Search for local markets around your area that have a good turnout. You must also observe which shop handles these food items carefully.
How do I Know if the Fish is Fresh?
- Clear eyes of the fish means it is fresh while hazy or foggy eyes indicate old fish.
- The skin must be moist and scaly and the scales should be firmly attached to the skin.
- There should be no unusual odour and it should smell like the fresh sea.
- The fillets and steaks should be moist and firm.
- Check for red bruises or spots on the fish that can signify mishandling.
How to Store Seafood?
While it is advised to consume fresh seafood, it cannot always be possible. Wrap it in wax paper and store it in the refrigerator to be consumed within the next 2-3 days.
By now, you must know that seafood must be bought and cooked with care. Consuming it to utilise its complete proteins and nutrients is the best way to bulk. When looking for the right seafood for bulking, only look for the fresh options available.