Weight Gain Diet 3 MIN READ 971 VIEWS April 21, 2021

What’s Your Body Type: Ectomorph, Endomorph, or Mesomorph

Written By Jyoti Jaswal

body type mesomorph

One of the most common reasons why you may have trouble meeting your fitness goals is that the workout patterns and diet that you follow are not suited to your body type. Body types are genetic traits based on your bone structure, density, and skeletal frame. Primarily speaking, there are three different body types: Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph. Depending upon your body shape weight loss or weight gain tendencies can be understood. Also, formulating a specific plan for diet and in-home exercises based on your measurements can play a major role in helping you achieve your fitness goals.

Let us understand more about various body types so you can figure out which group you belong to. 

#1 Ectomorph Body Type 

People with the type of body ectomorph are typically skinny. Ectomorphs are characterized to have a fairly light body built with prominently lean muscle and skinny joints. They are also said to have long arms and legs supported by string-like muscles, along with significantly thin and narrow shoulders.

Ectomorphs often struggle to gain weight despite consuming large amounts of fats and carbs and often have to maintain an extremely high caloric intake in order to maintain a healthy weight. 

Ectomorphs can aid the rate of their muscle protein synthesis by consuming prominent amounts of protein before going to bed. This helps in increasing the speed of the synthesis and also limits the duration of the fasting period when you are asleep, which inhibits your body from consuming stored fat in order to keep functioning. 

Ectomorphs are suggested to follow a high-intensity interval training regime combined with the periodic supplementation of a healthy balanced diet that is rich in micro and macronutrients alike.

#2 Endomorph Body Type 

People belonging to the endomorph group often have significantly higher percentages of body fat and comparatively less muscle mass and bone structure. Endomorphs are characterized to have a slightly bulky body with heavier and rounder features. Due to their physical constitution, people belonging to the endomorph body type are more sensitive to their caloric intake. 

This means that their body composition and structure are more quickly affected by the food that they consume, putting them at a higher risk for developing obesity and other chronic illnesses such as heart disease.

Due to their large frame and prominent body fat content, endomorphs are often unable to lose weight. This is why it is important for them to not consume more calories than they burn at rest every day. They must also carefully understand that for losing weight what exercises are best and what should be their frequency.

Endomorphs are suggested to follow intense cardio workouts in combination with high interval intensity workouts to ensure that the body does not revert to its fat-storing stage. It is also important for people with an endomorph body type to make sure that only 30 percent of their daily nutritional intake comes from carbs. The other 70 percent must be evenly divided between lean protein and fats. 

#3 Mesomorph Body Type 

People belonging to the body type mesomorph often have a solid and strong build. Mesomorphs are neither underweight nor are they overweight. Their bodies are often said to be rectangular in shape and supported by an upright posture. Owing to their medium-sized frame, people who belong to the endomorph body type have more muscle content than fat.  They are also said to have a well-defined chest and shoulders, with a large heart and a square-shaped skull.

Mesomorphs rarely have trouble with caloric sensitivity as they can eat what they want and still lose weight easily. On the other hand, they are just as prone to gaining weight too, making it a huge disadvantage for those trying to build muscle and maintain a lean body. 

Since mesomorphs have a significantly higher muscle mass, they also have an increased need for calories in comparison to other body types.

While mesomorphs have a better chance at naturally staying fit, they are still suggested to alternate between weights and cardio in combination with supplementing a diet that is rich in protein and has a low percentage of carbs. 

It is important to note that whatever body type you belong to right now, it does not necessarily mean that you will continue to have the same type for the rest of your life. Body compositions change based on the workouts and diet patterns you follow. Identify your body type and work towards your fitness goals to stay happy and healthy.

Read these next