The extra skin folds that become obvious when you wear tight bras or tops is the armpit fat. Besides the choice of clothes, there are other factors like genetics, hormones, being overweight, swollen lymph nodes, excess breast tissue, or posture that could all cause armpit fat.
Specific exercises to reduce armpit and underarm fat will strengthen and tone up the muscles. An underarm fat workout need not necessarily comprise lifting weights overhead. If you are aiming at spot reduction or reducing fat in specific areas, then you will be disappointed. Instead, incorporate both resistance and cardio training in your routine for overall weight loss and you will notice a reduction in armpit fat as well.
Various exercises that target the chest, shoulders, upper arms, and back are described in this article. These exercises can be combined with cardio workouts for optimum results. Some of these exercises are without equipment and can be easily done at home. If you are hitting the gym you can include exercises that require machines as well in your workout routine.
Exercises to Reduce Armpit Fat
Follow the exercises given below and lose armpit fat in no time.
1. Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks is one effective way to burn fat in unwanted areas. The regions that this exercise targets are the belly, leg, hips, glutes, and armpit.
- Stand straight. Keep your arms at your sides.
- Jump as you spread your feet wider than your hips while bringing your arms overhead. Bring your hands to an almost clapping position.
- Jump again to bring back your feet together. Lower your arms at this stage.
This exercise to reduce arm fat targets multiple muscles including those of your underarms, shoulders, and chest. It is the number one exercise to lose armpit fat. You can also build upper body strength with this exercise.
- Start by lying face down on the floor.
- Position your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Position your head so that you are looking straight down.
- Extend your feet out behind so that you are on your toes.
- Lift your body, balancing it with your palms and toes.
- Lower your body using your arms and then come up once again.
- Repeat the routine several times.
3. Mountain Climbers
You put pressure on your underarm and armpit area while performing this exercise and so is effective in reducing armpit fat. It is a combination of cardio and core exercises and works on the arms, chest, shoulder, abs, and belly. It is as good as a full-body workout.
- Get down on your fours.
- Bring your left leg and then your right leg close to your chest.
- Do it alternatively and repeat it several times.
When you position yourself in this exercise to reduce arm fat it will look like superman flying. It aligns your body weight and targets the legs and arms muscles.
- Lie on the floor face down.
- Stretch your arms in front of you.
- Keep your head in a neutral position and slowly lift your arms, chest and legs around 6 inches off the floor or until you feel your back muscles contracting.
- Engage your core, muscles between your shoulder blades, and the glutes simultaneously.
- Aim to lift your belly button off the floor to contract your abs.
- Hold the position for 2 to 3 seconds. Keep breathing normally throughout the exercise.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times.
Lift your body as much as you can. Even if you can lift a little, this is a great workout to reduce your armpit fat. Take care not to hyperextend your neck as it may result in pain and discomfort.
5. Circling Arms
This exercise improves blood circulation and strengthens your upper body. You can either perform full circles or half circles. It is a very effective underarm fat workout and aids in fat around the underarms and armpit.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Slowly rotate both your arms together in a clockwise and anti-clockwise direction.
- Do it 20 times clockwise and 20 times anti-clockwise.
6. Downward Facing Dog
This exercise targets the arms, buttocks, back, legs, and hips. Use a yoga mat to do this exercise.
- Start by kneeling in the centre of the mat.
- Place your hands shoulder-width apart in front of you on the mat. Move on to your hands and knees.
- Straighten your legs slowly by bracing yourself on your hands. Swing your hips up towards the ceiling.
- Align your feet. Extend your toes to stay stable. Shift your weight back on your legs and hips and your hands.
- Your head should be aligned with your back straight. At this position, you will get into a triangular position.
- Hold this position as long as you can. Come back to the start position by reversing the movements that created the downward-facing dog.
7. Plank to Side Plank Rotations
Plank is the best endurance exercise and is effective in reducing armpit fat. It helps build strength, endurance and stability. It has several arm building variations.
- Start with a plank position.
- With the right palm resting on the floor and engaging your abdominal muscles, twist your core. Keep your torso straight.
- Lift your left hand towards the ceiling. Hold the position for a while.
- Bring the left hand back and repeat on the right side.
8. Triceps Press
The muscle in the upper is the triceps. You can tone this muscle with a triceps press.
- Sit on a chair. Hold a weight in each hand and lift your arms above your head.
- Bend at the elbows and bring the weight down behind your head as far as your range of motion lets you.
- Raise the weights back above your head.
- To begin with, do two sets of 10 to 15 reps each.
- Rest for about 10 seconds between sets.
9. Chest Press
This exercise targets the chest, arms, and shoulders. You need a bench and weights that you can comfortably hold.
- Lie down face up on the bench.
- Hold free weights. Bring your elbows to where your body is on the bench.
- Position your upper arms as the rest of your body.
- Your lower arms will be facing up towards the ceiling.
- Raise your arms slowly and lift the weights up until your arm is almost straight.
- Do not lock your elbows.
- Bring the weights back to the original position with your arms bent.
- Repeat the exercise several times.
10. Back Dips
You should do the exercise using a workout bench. If exercising at home, then the edge of your sofa will do. Back dips work on the triceps muscle.
- Sit on the bench.
- Place your hands on the bench next to your hips.
- Hold on to the edge of the bench by placing your palms on the bench and your fingers on the edge of it.
- Move your body off the bench with your feet together and knees bent.
- Lower your body towards the floor by bending your arms until the upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Bring yourself back to the original position with the help of your arms.
- Repeat the exercise several times.
11. Bicep Curl
You can do this exercise either standing or sitting. Use free weights. If you are hitting the gym, then you can work on the bicep curl machine. But for natural movements, it is recommended to use free weights.
- Stand straight.
- Hold a free weight in each hand with your arms extended towards the ground.
- Bend your elbows slowly and lift the weights towards your shoulder.
- Release the weights slowly to come back to the start position.
- Your elbows and wrist should be aligned throughout the exercise.
- Repeat the exercise several times.
12. Triceps Pressdown
If working out in a gym you can use the cable machine or else can use a resistance band.
- Face the cable machine or the position where you have secured the resistance band.
- Stand straight with your knees slightly bent.
- Hold the resistance band or the cable at the highest position.
- With your elbows at your sides, pull the cable or the band towards the floor.
- Pull the cable or the band until your arms are fully extended.
- Return to the start position and repeat.
Armpit fat can be the most dreaded aspect of your body contour. It can be stubborn and appears to last forever. Including cardiovascular and strengthening workouts into your daily routine along with a healthy diet will help reduce your armpit fat. Sculpting the armpit and underarm area is possible with exercises that strengthen and tone the back, chest, shoulders, and upper arm.