Having a satiating yet low calorie breakfast sets the right tone for the rest of the day. When you eat light, you feel energetic throughout the day. A good breakfast also helps your body recover faster from any training or physical activity. However, in rushed mornings, preparing a healthy, low fat breakfast may not be an option. Here are some simple recipes to solve this issue for you.
Best Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes
All the low calorie breakfast foods mentioned below are easily available. These recipes are perfect for anyone who needs quick but healthy breakfast options.
1. Methi Oats Roti
This low calorie Indian breakfast takes just 15 minutes to prepare.
- Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
- Rolled oats- ¼ cup
- Chopped methi/ fenugreek leaves- ½ cup
- Chilli paste- 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Knead all the ingredients together in a bowl to prepare a smooth and soft dough.
- Pick small, equal portions, and roll each one out into a circle that is about 7” in diameter.
- Then, heat some oil on a non-stick pan and roast both sides till light brown.
- Serve this low calorie breakfast with a side of yogurt.
2. Vegetable Jowar Porridge
Jowar is one of the best low calorie breakfast foods because it is also rich in fibre.
- Coarsely ground jowar- ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Chopped mixed vegetables- 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Mix the powdered Jowar with 3 cups of water and salt to taste. Cook well in a pressure cooker.
- In a deep pan, heat some oil and add the asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add the mixed vegetables and saute them for a few minutes.
- Mix in the cooked jowar, some water and salt and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- When it has reached the desired consistency, let it cool down.
- Serve this healthy low calorie breakfast with a topping of freshly chopped coriander, onion, and tomato.
3. Pumpkin Oats
Oats is one of the most popular low calorie breakfast foods. Here is a simple recipe with a healthy twist.
- Red pumpkin cubes- 1 cup
- Soaked and cooked oats- ½ cup
- Chopped, unpeeled apple- ½ cup
- Nutmeg- 1 pinch
- Vanilla essence- ¼ tsp
- Maple syrup- 1 tsp
- In a deep, non-stick pan, add 1 cup of water and combine the red pumpkin. Cover the pan and let the pumpkin cook for a few minutes.
- After it has cooled completely, blend it into a paste.
- Transfer this mixture into a bowl and mix in all the other ingredients. You may add some warm water to bring it to the desired consistency.
- Top with roasted pumpkin seeds and chopped apples.
- This healthy low calorie breakfast can also be stored for a few days in the refrigerator and used when needed.
3. Moong and Methi Sprouts Wrap
This low calorie breakfast is also a hit with the little ones. It is highly recommended for diabetics too.
Ingredients for the filling:
- Chopped fenugreek leaves- 1 cup
- Boiled whole green gram or moong sprouts- 1 cup
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the onion and garlic spread:
- Chopped garlic- 1 tsp
- Chopped onions- 2 tbsp
- Low fat curd- ½ cup
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Chilli powder- ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a non-stick pan, heat some oil and saute the green chillies.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook for a few minutes on a low flame.
- Mix all the ingredients for the garlic spread in a small bowl.
- You can use pita bread or chapatis to make the rolls.
- Spread a thin layer of the garlic spread first.
- Top with the methi and moong filling and roll it up.
- You can serve this low calorie Indian breakfast with any chutney of your choice to add some spice to it.
5. Orange, Oatmeal, and Almond Milk
If you are in a real rush, this is a great breakfast option. You can also make this low calorie breakfast the night before and store it in an airtight container for consumption the next day.
- Quick cooking rolled oats- ½ cup
- Unsweetened almond milk- 1 cup
- Whisked curd- ¼ cup
- Honey- ½ tbsp
- Chopped dates- 1 tbsp
- Chia seeds- 1 tsp
- Orange segments- ¼ cup
- In a tall jar or mason jar, combine the almond milk, oats, and curds. Mix it well with a whisk.
- Add the chia seeds, dates and honey.
- Refrigerate it for about 4 hours.
- When serving this low calorie breakfast, top it with orange segments to add a citrus twist.
- You can also add other fruits of your choice.
6. Chia and Coconut Superfood Bowl
When the two best low calorie breakfast foods come together, you know you have a great option to start your day with.
- Coconut milk- ¾ cup
- Chia seeds- 1 tbsp
- Falooda seeds- 1 tbsp
- Sweet lime or moosambi – 5 slices
- Kiwi slices- 4
- Chopped green grapes- ¼ cup
- Milk the chia seeds, falooda seeds, and coconut milk in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Once it has been set, serve it with a topping of sweet lime slices, grapes and kiwi slices.
These easy low calorie breakfast recipes also give you a lot of room to experiment. You can add different flavours and toppings to make your breakfast interesting every day. The best part is that they load you up with all the energy that you need to take the day on.