Muesli is gradually becoming a popular breakfast dish and it is nothing but raw and rolled oats. It was invented by a Swiss doctor, Maximilian Bircher-Benner in the 1900s and since then it has always remained a powerful health food. People have been consuming muesli for weight gain, bowel regulation, and even for weight loss. Muesli is nutrient-dense and is quite popular among people who are conscious about their fitness and look forward to a healthy breakfast.
Choosing the Best Muesli for Weight Gain
If you are looking to put on some healthy weight, then here are some of the best muesli recipes you’d like to try:
1. Fruit Muesli
Fruits and oats make the perfect combination for a muesli dish that can help you gain weight. If you are looking for the best muesli for weight gain, then this is the first recipe you should try. It is easy to make and can also be served to children even on a busy Monday morning. Here is a quick guide to making this delicious as well as nutritious muesli meal.
- One cup of quick-cooking oats
- Roughly 160 ml of cow, almond, or soy milk
- Almost an equal amount of plain yoghurt
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract for added flavour
- Around 160 ml of freshly squeezed orange juice
- One teaspoon of honey
- One and a half cups of grated, peeled red-skinned apples
- One cup of chopped raw almonds
- Three cups of chopped fresh fruits (prunes, figs, pears, and peeled oranges)
- To begin making your fruit muesli meal, you first need to mix the oats, milk, and yoghurt in a sufficiently large bowl.
- To this mixture, you can add a dash of vanilla extract to make the dish all the more delectable.
- Let this rest for 5 minutes so that the oats can soften up.
- In another bowl, make a mixture of orange juice and honey and stir in the grated apples, almonds, or any other chopped fruits of your liking.
- Finally, combine both the mixtures and let them cool in the refrigerator for just a few minutes and your weight gain muesli dish is ready.
2. Toasted Pumpkin Muesli
Pumpkin seeds are a great way to enhance your weight gain journey because they contain antioxidants and polyunsaturated fats that can add healthy calories to your diet. You can easily pair pumpkin seeds with muesli for a wholesome meal. Here is an easy recipe to load up your mornings with healthy calories:
- One and a half cups of rolled oats
- Half a cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- Half a cup of raw almonds (or any other nuts of your choice)
- Half a cup of raw sunflower seeds
- Three tablespoons of hemp seeds (optional)
- Two tablespoons of chia seeds (optional)
- One-fourth cup of dried fruits of your choice
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- One-fourth teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Celsius.
- Spread the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and almonds in an even layer onto a baking tray and bake them in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Once they are done, you need to take them out of the oven and let them rest till they cool down.
- To reap the muesli benefits for weight gain, you need to mix all these seeds in a large bowl.
- To this mixture, you need to add other optional ingredients like chia seeds and hemp seeds as well as key ingredients such as dried fruits and pumpkin pie spice.
- Finally, your muesli dish is ready to be served with either full cream milk or yoghurt.
3. Coconut Muesli
Coconut muesli is yet another recipe that is considered healthy because it helps to improve your skin and boost the immune system. When wondering how to eat muesli for weight gain, this one can surely fulfil your purpose.
- Four cups of regular oats
- One cup of coconut flakes
- One cup of dry-roasted and coarsely chopped almonds
- One cup of dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit of your choice)
- One cup of coarsely chopped candied ginger
- One-fourth cup of chia seeds
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- One-fourth teaspoon of salt
- Start preparing this delicious muesli for weight gain by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Lay down the oats and coconut flakes on a baking sheet or tray and bake them inside the oven for about 5 to 7 minutes or until they become golden brown.
- Once these are done, take them out of the oven and let them rest and cool down to room temperature.
- Now, add cranberries, chia seeds, spices, and salt in a large bowl with the baked oats and coconut flakes.
- Once it has been properly mixed, you can store this in airtight containers for later use or consume it with warm milk or yoghurt right away.
- Additionally, you may add some other fruits like blueberries, figs, bananas, or any other high-calorie fruit of your choice.
- You can serve this muesli dish with honey or even maple syrup, which only adds to its healthy dose of calories.
The Bottom Line
While these are just a few recipes of muesli for weight gain, several others are almost as delicious and healthy. For example, apple muesli with goji berries is one such popular recipe. With so much misinformation going around, people often ask the question – “is muesli good for weight gain?” The answer to this is that muesli is always beneficial for weight gain when consumed in sufficient quantities. However, when only consumed once a day, it could contribute to weight loss.