Oiling is one hair care regime that has everyone’s trust since time immemorial. Having infinite benefits, there are numerous types of hair oils for us to pick from. Be it coconut oil or argan, or jojoba, almond, olive, and many others — the choices of different types of oil for hair are endless and so are their benefits.
Many of us are on a constant quest to enhance the texture of our hair and make it longer, faster. For such purposes, hair oils work the best. However, it is vital to understand that there are different types of hair oils for different types of hair. What kind of oil will work best for you will depend on your concern, your hair type, and several other factors like the season, the environment you live in, and more.
In this article, we will talk about all types of hair oil and how they benefit you.
Benefits of Using Hair Oil
Natural oils are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids, essential for a healthy scalp and hair. Hair oils can be good for everybody if chosen for the suitable hair type and texture.
Hair oils, in general, provide the following benefits:
- They keep the scalp hydrated by providing them with moisture.
- They aid hair growth by providing the hair follicles with the correct amount of nutrients.
- Oils benefit your hair by strengthening it and protecting it from external damage(harsh chemicals or pollutants).
- Preventing damage is another advantage that they provide your hair with.
- Many people oil their hair regularly for the shine and glow.
- Hair oil takes care of premature greying by keeping the vitamin deficit at bay.
- A dry scalp exposed to many environmental issues leads to active hairfall. Hair oils take care of it effectively.
Various Types of Hair Oils
A lot of different types of oil for hair are available in order to suit all kinds of hair. There are four types of hair as detailed in Table1 below
4 Types of hair
|Type 1||Straight hair that doesn’t curl||Most resilient Hard to damage|
|Type 2||Wavy hair(between straight and curly)||Likely to become frizzy|
|Type 3||Curly hair||Can become frizzyGet damaged easily|
|Type 4||Coiled very tightly||FragileSusceptible to damage than other hair types|
Here are some most popular and beneficial hair oils that can derive the best advantages for your hair.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best types of hair oils as it prevents the loss of protein and keeps the hair healthy for a longer time. This is also one of the best oils for type 4 hair which is often unmanageable and gets super frizzy easily.
- Repairs brittle hair and broken ends
- Beneficial for people who have slow hair development
- Protects against heat damage
- Prevents hair loss and promotes a healthy scalp
- Improves the appearance of hair by retaining moisture
Suitable for: Dry & normal hair type.
2. Almond Oil
Almond oil is rich in Vitamin E, fatty acids, proteins, antioxidants, and magnesium, which help hair grow faster and prevent breakage. It is suitable for people who are prone to dandruff. However, among all types of hair oil, this one is mostly used in winters or colder months, since this is considered to be a relatively hotter oil and is not recommended to be used in hotter months.
- Aids hair growth
- Prevents hair loss and breakage
- Hydrates, seals, and protects hair
Suitable for: Dry & damaged hair
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil, which is made by pressing olives, is also a helpful hair solution. It has hydrating and protecting qualities. Apart from cooking, olive oil is used extensively as a hair oil because of the amazing benefits that it provides to the hair. This is one of the best oils for oily hair.
- Protects against hair damage
- Offers a sleek look
- Hydrates and restores the hair moisture
- Restores the damaged and broken hair
- Keeps dandruff at bay
Suitable for: Dry, Normal & oily hair
4. Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil contains many oleic acids. Therefore, it’s suitable for people who have a lot of breakages. This is one of the best oils for type 4 hair as it keeps the frizz at bay and provides a much sleeker look to the hair. Sunflower oil can also be mixed with various types of essential oils for hair for best results.
- Prevents breakage
- Strengthens the hair follicles and roots
- Prevents dandruff
- Keeps the scalp healthy
- Treats damaged hair
Suitable for: Dry, normal & oily hair
5. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil shares many qualities with sebum, the oil produced naturally by our scalps. It keeps the scalp and hair fresh for more duration, keeping the natural oil away for longer. Jojoba is enriched with oxidants which help in providing the hair with tons of nutrients.
- Provides hair with essential nutrients
- Contains antimicrobial properties
- Ideal for dry and damaged hair
- Puts in life in dull hair
- Prevents dandruff
- Moisturises hair follicles
- Keeps the scalp healthy
Suitable for: Dry, damaged & dull hair
Types of Essential Oils for Hair
Essential oils, commonly used in aromatherapy, are also used in hair oils to provide the hair with some extra benefit. There are several types of essential oils for hair, which can be mixed with different types of oil for hair and can be applied regularly.
These are compounds that are extracted from plants and they are made in a way that they capture the natural essence of the plant. Made through distillation, one can use just 2-3 drops of essential oil in hair oil to provide your tresses with extra power.
These are the few types of essential oils for hair:
- Lavender Essential Oil: Speeds up the hair growth, reduces stress
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Promotes hair growth, increases the number of hair follicles
- Rosemary Essential Oil: Improves hair thickness and growth, improves cellular generation
- Cedarwood Essential Oil: Reduces hair loss, balances the oil-producing glands in the scalp
- Lemongrass Essential Oil: Keeps the scalp flake-free, ensures a healthy scalp
Although there is no uniform frequency of oiling the hair, experts recommend using the type of hair oils according to the hair type. If you have a dry scalp, you can use some essential oils for your hair on a regular basis before every wash. However, people with oily hair are recommended to use some of the best oils for oily hair and to not oil their locks that often. At the end of the day, it is always best to incorporate and follow a fixed routine when it comes to applying oil to the hair.