Milk thistle is a herb commonly known as ‘silymarin’ and has been in use for 2000 years. Silymarin benefits include providing relief from liver related disorders. It increases the production of bile and eases constipation. Milk thistle benefits are also immense, as it helps lower the levels of cholesterol in the body and improves heart functioning. You must consume milk thistle regularly to see positive results. Milk thistle seed benefits are also numerous. It can be consumed raw everyday or can be taken as an extract, tea or in powdered form, as part of your health regime.
Milk Thistle Health Benefits
Let’s look at some of milk thistle benefits:
- It is an antioxidant and helps nourish and rejuvenate dead cells.
- It also prevents piles, providing relief to the swelling (varicosities).
- Since Silymarin can help reduce inflammation, it is beneficial for people with allergic asthma.
- It further works to ease hangovers and flush out all the toxins.
- It improves skin and provides a natural glow.
- It helps in preventing free radicals in the body and improves digestion. Certain issues like gas, bloating can be reduced if you consume milk thistle seeds and leaves on an empty stomach.
- Milk thistle is useful in preventing premature ageing. It eliminates the appearance of wrinkles, dark spots, and skin discoloration.
How Does Milk Thistle Boost Immunity?
When you take milk thistle on a regular basis, it has a positive impact on your body and strengthens your overall immunity. Your body is capable of fighting off infections and diseases and you are at less risk of falling sick.
Milk thistle seeds (silymarin) have medicinal effects. They contain high concentrations of fatty acids which include linoleic acids. It is recommended to have milk thistle seeds to detoxify the liver, improve brain functions, and even combat cancer.
Milk thistle has a holistic effect on the body’s immune system. It helps optimize the functioning of your body organs and does not cause them excess strain. Silymarin also helps regulate the insulin levels in your body.
Milk Thistle Precautions
Milk thistle is generally safe for consumption. You must never exceed dosage because that can cause troublesome side effects. In some cases it may cause gastrointestinal issues, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating, itchiness, and headache.
Patients suffering from diabetes must have milk thistle with caution. There is also a concern that milk thistle might affect estrogen levels and someone with breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or endometriosis must avoid it.
Milk thistle can cause allergic reactions in some people. Speak to the doctor for best advice and inform them about the medications you already take to avoid any interactions.
There is research going on regarding milk thistle benefits. You must take it into consideration that it is always better to rely on ancient herbs and natural products than medications. Milk thistle is easily available as a supplement in the market but you must only purchase the best quality. It is also available as a tea and you must limit the intake to 6 cups a day. However, more research is needed to define the dosage.