|Iron Rich Foods|
|Benefits of Iron Rich Foods|
|Iron Rich Snacks For Kids|
|Side Effects Of High Iron On Diet|
Iron is a very essential mineral for our body that is required for the production of hemoglobin, a component of blood cells. The oxygen-carrying proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin are made with iron in the human body. And that is the reason why regular consumption of this mineral is super essential for the body.
Moreover, Iron aids the immune system as well as body temperature regulation. It’s also necessary for brain growth, hair, skin, and nail health
, and hormone production. Therefore, Iron is a vital component that controls cell development, as well as ensures appropriate body growth and function.
Iron is a crucial nutrient for everyone, especially for children, as when taken in good quantities from the very beginning, this helps with plenty of benefits. Therefore, indulging in iron rich foods from the start becomes imperative.
Consuming an iron rich diet has become the need of the hour. In this article, we will tell you all about the high iron diet, along with some iron rich foods and fruits.
Iron Rich Foods
Iron is found in abundance in a lot of food items. However, a few of them can be considered iron rich foods, as iron is found in abundance in those food items. Children, especially, would benefit a lot from these iron rich foods. These foods can be used to cook great iron rich snacks for kids, which they will love, and will provide them with a great amount of iron too.
Following are some iron rich foods and fruits which can be consumed if you wish to indulge in an iron rich diet.
- Vegetables: Although, there are plenty of vegetables that are great for the human body. However, some vegetables have much higher iron content in them. Few vegetables which qualify as foods high in iron for children are –
- Sweet Potatoes
- Beet Greens
These vegetables contain 15-20 per cent of the daily value for iron, as well as other vitamins and minerals. Moreover, They also have a lot of antioxidants in them. This is the reason why these foods can be known as iron rich foods and fruits.
Shellfish is both delicious and provides health benefits. Clams, mussels, and oysters are quite high in iron. They can also be used to cook iron rich snacks for kids which will be delicious and healthy, at the same time.
Legumes are nutrient-dense foods. Some options one can include in their iron rich diet are –
These legumes are especially good for vegetarians because they’re high in iron and can be indulged upon without consuming non-vegetarian food items.
Protein, iron, zinc and various B vitamins are all abundant in meat.
- Quinoa: Per serving, quinoa delivers 16 percent of the daily value for iron. It’s also gluten-free and packed with protein, folate, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Eggs: Eggs are also very rich in iron apart from containing proteins. Eggs are one of the foods high in iron for children, as they will have it with ease and no fuss.
Benefits of Iron Rich Foods
Iron is a very important material for our body because of its important effects on our bodies. Foods high in iron for children are especially crucial and vital, due to the following reasons –
- Transports oxygen to the brain and muscles
Iron rich foods provide our body with a sufficient amount of iron, which is in charge of transporting oxygen to your brain and muscles. This is one of the key reasons why foods high in iron for children should be given to them diligently.
- Iron is essential for boosting your immune system
Consuming an iron rich diet has the ability to prevent and treat a variety of illnesses. It creates red blood cells, which are necessary for healing tissue and cell damage and so preventing additional problems. Therefore, foods high in iron for children should be focused deeply upon, as you wouldn’t want to deprive your children of these advantages.
- Iron is required for normal brain function
Foods high in iron for children are required just as oxygenated blood is required for increased cognitive abilities. Iron improves blood flow to the brain and aids in the formation of new neural pathways, which helps to avoid cognitive issues like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Iron Rich Snacks For Kids
Foods high in iron for children are super essential for them. This is because children need a proper intake of iron in their daily diet for the proper development of their health.
Here are a few Iron-rich snacks for children that are easy to make and taste good too.
1. Sweet potato pancakes
Sweet potato is an excellent source of iron that provides the kids with all the benefits that a body needs to function and develop properly. This dish also acts as one of the perfect foods high in iron for children, as the key ingredient in this recipe is the sweet potato.
- 1 cup Sweet potato puree
- 1 cup Full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1.5 cups Flour
- 2 Eggs
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium mixing basin and stir well.
- On medium heat, preheat a large nonstick skillet. Spray oil in a skillet.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of batter into the skillet at a time for small pancakes, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until brown on the bottom and bubbles develop around the edges.
- You can cook for an extra 2-3 minutes on the other side for the perfect colour.
- Toss in the remaining batter and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Spread peanut butter or cream cheese and serve hot.
2. Scrambled eggs and yoghurt
Kids simply love scrambled eggs, and eggs are great iron rich foods too. That is why this recipe would do wonders if your kids are picky eaters, yet, you are looking out for iron rich snacks for kids.
- Yoghurt – 4tbsp
- Combine the eggs and yoghurt in a small bowl. Whisk the mixture with a fork or whisk in one direction only.
- Over low heat, a medium skillet is to be heated. Melt the butter and add the whisked eggs after the butter has begun to bubble.
- Allow 15 seconds for the eggs to cook before carefully folding the eggs from the outside of the skillet to the centre with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Cool the scrambled egg and serve your child.
3. Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
With the goodness of broccoli and quinoa, this meal would be the perfect food high in iron for children and would be great as a snack too.
- 1/2 cup broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl of your choice.
- Fill muffin cups with this mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350degrees for at least 5 minutes.
- Bake the quinoa muffin for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the muffins and serve your children.
Side Effects Of High Iron On Diet
Quite a lot of times, we overload our body with iron rich foods, thinking that they will provide only goodness to the body. However, Iron overload due to an iron rich diet or taking iron supplements might cause a lot of side effects in the body too.
Some of them could be –
- Iron toxicity or iron poisoning.
- Excessive concentrations of iron in the body are known as iron overload. Hereditary hemochromatosis is the most frequent condition, and it can cause a variety of health issues. Most individuals are unconcerned about this.
- The risk of cancer has been widely associated with iron overload illnesses.
- Iron overload and high-dose iron supplements can raise the risk of infection.
Iron is an essential element that is very important for the proper functioning of our body. Knowing the importance of this nutrient, it is crucial to indulge in some incredible iron rich foods. Moreover, foods high in iron for children must be paid keen attention to so that our kids can get the best of this mineral through the various iron rich snacks for kids we just discussed. A high iron diet is great for the body, but to make the most of it, make sure to limit the consumption of this nutrient in quantity, which does not make you ill, and just contributes to your health.