Coenzyme Q10 is one of the bestselling supplements in the global market. Researchers say that CoQ10 may have significant benefits for people who suffer from cardiovascular disease. The CoQ10 benefits include reduced risk of repeated heart attacks. It improves quality of life in conditions such as heart failure and helps lowering blood pressure and combats the side effects of cholesterol-lowering statins.
While there are so many options in the market, it may not be so easy to find the best supplement. To understand what Coenzyme Q10 is, you must know that it naturally occurs in the cells of your body. It helps convert food into energy for proper growth and development of your body. It is also a powerful antioxidant and protects your body from free radical damage. CoQ10 is also found in many foods such as sardines, chicken, cauliflower, and broccoli. In order to check the CoQ10 levels in your body, doctors may suggest a simple blood test and examine your condition depending on the report.
Benefits of CoQ10 for Heart
Take a look at the benefits of CoQ10 for heart:
1. Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
According to recent studies, CoQ10 supplements significantly increase HDL-C and ApoA1 levels and reduce the chance of having CVD. It also helps lower the levels of inflammatory biomarkers. If you have low CoQ10 levels, there are more chances you may have tissue damage in the heart and brain during a heart attack or stroke.
2. Statin-Related Muscle Symptoms
Statin therapy users with muscle symptoms such as muscle aches or weakness experience reduced pain after taking CoQ10 supplements. People undergoing statin therapy must have CoQ10 supplements for better results.
3. Heart Failure (HF)
A study proved that one of the CoQ10 benefits is an improved heart failure mortality rate. After a heart attack, patients who received CoQ10 were reported to have a lower chance to face cardiac events in the following year.
4. High Blood Pressure
CoQ10 can effectively lower the systolic blood pressure and diastolic pressure without any significant side effects.
Other CoQ10 Benefits for Health
Listed below are some of the other major Coenzyme Q10 benefits:
- Apart from taking coenzyme q10 for heart health, it can also be taken to improve fertility. CoQ10 supplements work to reverse age-related decline in egg production and quality. Similarly, it may also improve sperm quantity and quality by increasing antioxidant protection.
- It protects your skin from cellular damage and hormonal imbalances as well as UV rays. CoQ10 provides antioxidant protection and keeps your skin looking younger.
- It could reduce headaches. People with CoQ10 deficiency may suffer from migraines.
- It can help improve exercise performance. It reduces fatigue and oxidative stress.
- CoQ10 could help treat diabetes. It improves insulin sensitivity and regulates blood sugar levels and stimulates the breakdown of fats.
- Coenzyme Q10 plays a key role in cancer prevention and recurrence.
- It is good for brain health and may even slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- CoQ10 could also protect the lungs.
To reap the best CoQ10 benefits, you must always have its supplements with a meal, as it ensures better absorption as it is fat-soluble. All CoQ10 supplements are not the same – while some are meant for younger people, some are ideal for older people. You must always consult a doctor and take supplements after determining your CoQ10 levels. A combination of CoQ10 supplementation with statin therapy is best to do away with muscle pain and weakness.